FSOT: Marshall Superlead

Well it deserves a good home for sure. I'm looking for a real deal C+ faceplate, that plus cash will be ideal.

Last edited:
Looking for offers. This is a killer amp, just look up exactly what it is. I know this isn't easy to read but the amp on the right in the pic explains some of the history. 20220106_135024.jpg

Last edited:
Being the gear nerd I am, I learned that in 1988 Marshall made a limited number of 1959 and 1987 NMV Heads as the first Plexi reissue. They copied the transformers of a particular pair of 1972 100/50w transformers and circuit values and that is what those amps were based from. The headshell front corners have a inside curve where the faceplate ends on both sides; that's a tell on those amps.
When Marshall officially reissued the Plexi as a production (not limited) model in 93/94 they used those same transformers until they were used up; sometime in the late 90s but maybe they lingered longer. So this Hendrix head has those same exact copies of the 1972 100w that they blueprinted. I know certain modders who highly recommend these early Plexi reissues as being equal to the metal panels of the 70s.
Killer amps.

Being the gear nerd I am, I learned that in 1988 Marshall made a limited number of 1959 and 1987 NMV Heads as the first Plexi reissue. They copied the transformers of a particular pair of 1972 100/50w transformers and circuit values and that is what those amps were based from. The headshell front corners have a inside curve where the faceplate ends on both sides; that's a tell on those amps.
When Marshall officially reissued the Plexi as a production (not limited) model in 93/94 they used those same transformers until they were used up; sometime in the late 90s but maybe they lingered longer. So this Hendrix head has those same exact copies of the 1972 100w that they blueprinted. I know certain modders who highly recommend these early Plexi reissues as being equal to the metal panels of the 70s.
Killer amps.
Damn, you really are a gear nerd!!! :LOL:

Thats a bit of a stretch to compare that reissue to the other three in that picture. IMO Still a good amp.

I never made that comparison. I am pointing out that in the progression the amp on the far right in the picture is what this amp is, the early reissue with the truest transformer design.

Nice Amp, but the mods add no value and this one would be worth more in stocks form to a real marshall collector.

Let's talk about that. Reverb & Ebay has amps listed higher for a 1959 SLP or HW handwired...both nowhere near as rare. Only 100 were made and the mod was made for a well known artist but I'm am not trying to sell it based off that bc I don't want to take the time to get paperwork to validate it, the amp is rare period.

Anyone who wants to pay more for a brand new SLP or HW can spend they're money how they want and to that, I priced mine below a few of them. Had the amp been bone stock one of these would be listed far higher. I know the amp isn't mutated, look close the work is neat and thought out.

While I agree if the amp was stock it would bring more from a collector but this price isn't inflated for what it is and where it's been. Another perspectice is if you find a used HW or SLP in the current market used, after shipping to and from a builder plus his cost you end up in the same price point for what I'm asking, ballpark except this one is still better bc it is purple and the others are not.

What I find funny is no one here has even made an offer. Another reason I priced it above what I want on reverb is to cover the bullshit from listing there in the first place.

Last edited:
Back