Future Einstein owner + some questions

sombersoul

Hi everybody

I have a couple of questions relating to the Einstein. Just skip the following paragraph, if you don't feel like reading a longer text.

I'm not yet a Diezel owner but I may very well be in a short amount of time. Actually, I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the Einstein after extensively researching amps for months now (well, you could even say years, since GAS never ends). My band recently split up after five years, and I ended up selling some cabs because we gave up our rehearsal space. So I'll be playing in my apartment for the time being. I also decided it would be time to give in to GAS and change my gear completely. That's why I'm selling my 6505 head as well. Originally, I wanted to downgrade and thus primarily focused on low wattage bedroom amps. But then I kept thinking that firstly I may very well play in a band or live again sometime and secondly that if I get a new amp (and this doesn't exactly happen every day), it should not be a compromise of any sort. Needless to say, I've been looking at Diezel amps for at least two years anyway, reading up every bit of information about them (also on this forum). Here are some amps that I also considered while researching. Note that they are very different from each other: Bogner Shiva, Peavey Classic 30, Koch Studiotone, Fryette SIG:X, Blackstar HT-5 and some more. My rational thinking always kept telling me that I probably shouldn't get a super expensive, high-end amp just for bedroom playing. But what does it matter really? I want to enjoy the sound of a good amp, and since this will be the only amp purchase for a long time, it should be exactly what I want and not so much what I need at the moment, if you know what I mean. Alright, so I kept coming back to the Diezels. The Herbert and VH-4 certainly have my interest. At first I dismissed the Einstein because of the absence of mode switching for Channel 1. Many forum messages and YouTube videos later, I've come to the conclusion that while the Herbert and VH-4 are great amps, the Einstein appeals to me the most. Here we are then, a few little steps away from this great amp.

Before I pull the trigger, I would really like to have some more input on the following questions:

- 50W or 100W? The price difference is negligible (I live in Europe). I keep reading that the 100W has a tad more bite and low-end to it. Any additional reason why I would choose the one over the other? It's really the same to me. 50W would also be fine.

- Is Channel 2 usable for rhythm work? I'm asking because if I should get to play with a band or live again, I will definitely need a dedicated clean channel. This would only leave Channel 2 for a heavy rhyhthm. I know that it is a bit more compressed and slightly softer than Channel 1 Mega, but that's okay, as long as it's usable for heavy palm mutes and the like. Playing at home, it doesn't matter anyway, since I can always manually switch modes.

- Is my assumption correct that Channel 1 Clean takes pedals really well?

- Since I'm getting a newer model, it'll already come with 6550 tubes installed. Any feedback on how they perform with the Einstein? I guess that most of the sound samples and videos on YouTube were made with different tubes (EL34 or 6L6).

- The only cab I've kept is the Orange PPC 212 (black). Since it's a fairly recent purchase, I have no intention of selling it or getting another cab (esp. because I don't have the space for it). Will it be a good combination with the Einstein?

Why did I pick the Einstein over the other Diezels? Tone! I know that the Einstein and the Herbert are said to be very close to each other. The VH-4 seems more like a cousin. I definitely prefer the slightly more organic and rounder tone of the Einstein. The cleans sound stellar as well as Channel 1 Mega or Channel 2 Lead. From what I've read, the Einstein sounds good a low volumes. Another factor is size, of course. Oh, and money too. ;)

Anyway, I think I'm pretty much set on the Einstein. If you could help me with the question above, it would be great. Thanks for your time! And perhaps I'll be joining the Diezel family for good in the near future. :)

I own a 100 w Einstein; couldn't be happier. I'm not sure about the difference in sound between a 50 and 100 watt; I think that your assumption on tone difference is a matter of taste.. :)

I'm in two rock bands, where the Einstein is my main amp. I ALWAYS use channel 2 for rhythm playing. Yes, it is a little more compressed than channel 1 mode 3, but I like it. Turn gain down a little, turn volume up and it'll open up the way you want!
I am getting a mod done, however, so I can footswitch all 3 modes in channel 1. Just for a little more versatility on stage. Pedals work great with channel 1.

6550 tubes should sound excellent. Diezel didn't put them in there for nothing.. I currently use EL34's, but am going to try 6550 when they arrive. Again, a matter of taste! Same goes for the cab. I personally do not like Orange cabs. I tried a lot of cabs, but always came back to Bogner. Depends on what you want.

Get a Diezel, you will not regret it. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

I keep reading that people generally seem to prefer the 100W version of the Einstein. The 50W is apparently a littler warmer and rounder, but I wouldn't know. The 100W has a little more headroom and according to some owners a tighter bass. Unfortunately, getting the Diezel will be a leap of faith, since I cannot test it. I'm pretty confident, though, that I won't be disappointed. I'm really very close to placing the order.

The Orange cab will stay. At least for now. I got it for my 6505, which sounds pretty great through it. But I'm a little bit afraid that the Einstein will end up sounding too dark through the Orange. We'll see.

putnut77":19ovypb5 said:
Ive owned an Einstein and used it through my Orange 2x12 at home, it sounds awesome, its not too dark at all.

Good to hear! Now I only need to find out whether I should go for 50W or 100W. :)

Orange cabs mate with Diezels really well in my opinion, and secondly I would get the 100 watt, for mixing and matching tubes.

I'm not sure I would experiment so much with tubes but who knows? Options. :) However, I'm more interested in tonal differences. Usually, 50W heads sound somewhat different to their 100W counterparts, since you're pushing the tubes a little harder. Well, Diezels get their sound from the preamp anyway. But I remember reading various times that people specifically recommend the 100W over the 50W version for tonal reasons, and I wonder if there's anything to it.

I have a 100w with el34's and an orange 4x12. The Einstein doesn't sound dark at all through the orange cabs. The vintage 30's actually warm things up a bit compared to high-wattage speakers. I do have a bit of a problem with the bass making the v30's fart if I try for a more metal sound... (what do you expect?) I REALLY prefer chan 1 mode 3 for rhythm sounds over channel 2. I recommend setting your amp up for every song.. I know it's a pain, but I use chan 1 mode 2 alot. It cleans up nice with the gain @ noon, but you can push it to overdrive pretty nice. Then use channel 2 for really distorted parts or solos. If it's a rock song, I use chan 1 mode 3 (mega) for rhythm and chan 2 for leads. MY BEST RECOMMENDATION is to start with all your knobs @ noon except the masters way down, and channel 2's gain @ around 10 o'clock. Use that for about a week. I will say this. The amp doesn't sound its best @ bedroom volumes. You've gotta open it up just past the crack where it kicks in. .... You have the "fizzle" when its barely on.. then it kicks in a bit, but its super compressed... then you turn up a little more and the amp opens up. It's pretty loud when it does. (100w here) I'm sure the 50 isn't much different though. I think if you're a tone chaser I'd get the 100w. You can do much more tube experimentation with it. I demo'd a 50w in guitar center and its what convinced me to purchase an Einstein. Volume wise 50 and 100 watts aren't much different. Tonally, from what I remember, they're not different enough to kick yourself in the ass over having one or the other. There is a certain harmonically rich tone/feel to the gain that you won't be able to stop playing, but I do warn you not to judge the amp on its super low volume sound. It's highly compressed sounding.... PEDALS: I warn you... This amp will let you know which pedals are crap, and which aren't. Good analog pedals sound like a heavenly god-send. (EH:Memory Man.. etc..) Crap pedals (that sound good in solid state amps for instance) will choke the amp's tone..

Anyways, I hope that helps you.

-John
:)

one more tidbit: Channel 2's compression is dependent upon channel 1's mode. mode 1 least compression and mode 3 = most compressed.

The choice of either the 50 or 100 watt version may depend on what type of music you play and how loud you play it in a band context.
I had a VH4, Herbert, and now an Einstein 50 watt combo, and it is plenty for me. I play in a 6 piece band a lot and the advantage of 50 watts for me is being able to get the tubes to work in their power range easier.

The amp takes pedals very well. Mine came with EL-34's originally three years ago. Recently, I replaced those with KT77's and the amp sounds great.

Mixing pre-amp tubes in Diezels is great as well, since the amp responds very well to different tube types. I now have NOS 1960 Mullards in V-1 and V-3, a NOS 5751 in V-2, and a perfectly matched NOS phase inverter tube (12AT7). My amp has a Vintage 30 in it and I put in a Weber Beam Blocker. These differences have greatly changed the amp's personality to that of more like an older Marshall, but very sweet, with no harsh overtones at all. It also allows me to really bend the dials a lot more and not have unfavorable tones (to my ears) coming from the amp.

Everyone will give you their opinions based on their playing style and how they like each version of the amp, myself included.

If you plan to play louder, a 50 watt head will take up to 2 4x12 cabs very easily. The tones will be a bit cleaner and have a tad more edge to them from a more powerful amp, such as the 100, but how you dial in the tones will be a very personal choice.

A suggestion, if these are available near you, is to play through both the 50 and 100 watt heads using your cab of choice and guitar of choice to actually see what you hear as the differences.

Since you live in Europe, you might think about taking a pilgrimage to Bad Steben where Diezel amps are built and speak with Peter, play the two types of amps and go from there. The trip will be worth the cost in both the long and short run, and provide you with an experience you will cherish forever.

Many thanks for these elaborate and very helpful answers, Slyvren and C-4! I'm starting to really appreciate this forum. :)

Well, at first I'll certainly play at bedroom volumes. I'm not currently in a band. However, I have read many times that the Diezels generally sound good at low levels, too. So far, my music style was something in-between metal/alternative/rock/gothic. Pretty broad, eh? Basically, I was playing lots of heavily distorted chords and rhythms, while the other guitar did most of the clean parts. However, I want more versatility (hence the Einstein) in order to explore different fields. So I felt the need for a head that can do gorgeous cleans but also high-gain rhythm stuff. I think the Einstein delivers that (and much in-between).

I'm glad to hear that the Orange cab is a great match, since I really like mine, and I haven't even begun exploring it yet. The V30s are not even properly broken in. I bought it shortly before the band split up. Wish they had told me in good time. ;)

I cannot test any Einstein head. Also, I don't live in Germany, so a trip to Bad Steben isn't easily feasible. It will not be the first amp I bought from descriptions only. But I'm pretty confident the Einstein is what I want.

The major music stores which I usually order from don't have the Einstein 100W in stock. Only the 50W version. Maybe that's a hint? ;) I'm still torn, though. I'm slightly in favour of the 100W. I know it's not about loudness or anything. I'd be happy with 50 tube watts as well, no doubt about that. For home playing I guess they would even make more sense. I'm guessing that the clean headroom with 50W is still good for band volume? As far as tube swapping is concerned. Well, I'd experiment with that perhaps, but I'm not sure I would mix types. So this would not be an argument for me.

Regarding pedals: I used a couple of them to make my 6505 more versatile. Maybe I'll ditch them with the Einstein altogether. But the ones I have are good ones, I would say. EHX & MXR analogue pedals mostly.

I really would like to order today or at least this week. My click finger is itching. I'll post results here and also photos from when the Einstein finally arrives.

Your pedals will be fine with Einey then. One more note: an EQ pedal can do wonders in the serial effects loop to shape your sound. I pulled 400hz down quite a bit and the distortion is stomping on Herbert's toes.

Hm, I just found two stores which have the Einstein 100W in stock. However, one comes with 6L6s and the other with EL34s in the power section, so they're not from the current production line. I wonder if it's worth waiting for a more recent 6550 equipped version. I have no idea, of course, in how far the different tubes change the sound in the Einstein or what my preference is with this head.

what can I tell you. it's just tubes

some people like their 6550 some other have actually said they still prefer EL34. I'll order a set of 6550 but so far I've loved 6L6

I'd just get the amp now

Joeytpg":2dmaq604 said:
what can I tell you. it's just tubes

some people like their 6550 some other have actually said they still prefer EL34. I'll order a set of 6550 but so far I've loved 6L6

I'd just get the amp now

Sometimes when reading people's comments on this issue I get the impression that there must be a world of difference. ;) I've had tube amps with 6L6 and 6550 tubes, although I've never tried different types in one and the same amp. I've never had EL34s, by the way.

I must admit that the description of what the 6550 do to the Einstein's sound seem appealing. On the other hand, the original amp design had EL34s (for a reason, I guess). Of course, I could just go ahead and get the EL34 version. But trying out the 6550s (esp. because it's the 100W Einstein) would be costly. So that's something to consider.

well if you can wait, then you could save some cash with getting the amp with 6550 already in there.

Think of it this way. You're going to have to replace the tubes in a year or 2 anyways. Why not try out the EL34's until it's close to re-tube time? Then you get to see what it sounds like with EL34's and 6550's when you re-tube. That's what I'm doing. The el34's sound incredible. I'm going to try the 6550's when its tube time. I'm really curious to what they sound like, but I'm also afraid they might be too loud. (The manual says they are LOUD)...

-

OK, to bring this thread to a conclusion, I can now announce that I have finally placed my order. :LOL: :LOL: After giving the whole matter some more thought, I went for the EL34 100W Einstein. The heads equipped with 6550 tubes are still not available and I decided that I want to get to know the Einstein with the EL34 configuration first. Most clips and videos I enjoyed were done with this kind of tube anyway. Also, it will be my first EL34 amp. Why not try new things? After some time I will possibly experiment with 6550s or 6L6s.

I'm guessing that in little more than a week I can finally join the Diezel family. I promise pictures, too. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, guys! :rock:

still waiting on my einey,the 50 watt einstein are easy to get hold of but not the 100 watt einsteins .i hope Diezel have a few allready to ship out for standing orders?as im really missing an amp right now ,also have new suhr aldrich pups i want to hear through the einstein.

Back