G12k-100 vs red back

Hard to say.
I have a 17 year old Splawn straight 412 with older Mesa/UK V30s with few year old Redbacks. Sounds killer.
My Bogner 2016 412 is a straight wirh angled baffle, has V30s and soon to be, K100s.
Both sound great.
I figure, I can always swap speakers down the road.

Old thread bump but I must say after all this time and speaker swapping.....thr Redbacks may be my all time favorite speaker. I could have them in all my cabs and nothing else and be happy. I love how there is nothing harsh and they are so full and balanced. What to do? Only other speaker I seem to love now is the Cream back M-65.
I still like the CL80 and Mesa MC90. I need to try a Redback/MC90 mix and Redback/M65 mix.

Keep us posted if you try those combos. I've been mixing it with an EVM12L.
Is that really stiff?
I like some give to the notes. I also prefer forgiving amps.
The Redbacks I think are unique because they seem to have some of the qualities of a lower wattage and lower db/lower weight magnet soaker. Redbacks have some chew to them, to my ears and hands. Adding the K100 was good but I thought better for heavy rhythm. I still prefer two Redbacks. I prefer it over mixing in a V30 as well. V30 sounds great wirh them in my 412 but in my 212 which is a smaller aounding cab, two Redbacks work perfectly.

Problem is that now I have another 212 and I don't know what to load into it. I'm thinking maybe two Cream back M65s to give me a more vintage, creamy mid cab. One 212 with Redbacks and the other with M65s. I could push the 65s harder two but I'd miss the girth and thickness of the Redbacks.

So I'm back to maybe doing a K100/V30, CL80/K100, MC90/CL80 or just two Mesa MC90s. I prefer darker and more balanced or neutral sounding cabs since I find most amps have loads of high end.

So my main 412 is Redback/V30 and main Bogner 212OS is Redbacks.

Now I am at a loss for what to do with my other 212.

Any blends with the Redbacks you guys recommend?

Both the V30 and K100 worked well but honestly the Redbacks have a strong flavor and the difference was tiny.

I swear that maybe the V30 or K100 made the tone fatter but that could be in my head. I mean the Redbacks are fat as is.

Is that really stiff?
I like some give to the notes. I also prefer forgiving amps.
The Redbacks I think are unique because they seem to have some of the qualities of a lower wattage and lower db/lower weight magnet soaker. Redbacks have some chew to them, to my ears and hands. Adding the K100 was good but I thought better for heavy rhythm. I still prefer two Redbacks. I prefer it over mixing in a V30 as well. V30 sounds great wirh them in my 412 but in my 212 which is a smaller aounding cab, two Redbacks work perfectly.

Problem is that now I have another 212 and I don't know what to load into it. I'm thinking maybe two Cream back M65s to give me a more vintage, creamy mid cab. One 212 with Redbacks and the other with M65s. I could push the 65s harder two but I'd miss the girth and thickness of the Redbacks.

So I'm back to maybe doing a K100/V30, CL80/K100, MC90/CL80 or just two Mesa MC90s. I prefer darker and more balanced or neutral sounding cabs since I find most amps have loads of high end.

So my main 412 is Redback/V30 and main Bogner 212OS is Redbacks.

Now I am at a loss for what to do with my other 212.
Don’t overlook G12-65’s. Those sound killer with Marshall flavored amps. Mine just come alive with some volume. Very woody, greenback-ish with a smooth top end. Killer speaker that flies under the radar, imho.

Don’t overlook G12-65’s. Those sound killer with Marshall flavored amps. Mine just come alive with some volume. Very woody, greenback-ish with a smooth top end. Killer speaker that flies under the radar, imho.
I had this eyears ago and recall liking them. Can they get right!?
I need speakers for my Bogner 412 and maybe Mesa V30/G1265!?
Heritage model?

Not sure I have Marshall flavored amps.
I have a Mesa modified Dual Rec, Mark V and PRS Archon.
Looking to get a Revv Generator Mark III, Marshall JVM or Kemper this summer.

Oh wow I made this thread almost 5 years ago. I’ve come a long way since then. The only non-vintage speaker I really like now are the Alnico Gold’s. The rest are just too sterile or meh to me next to my favorite vintage ones. Just uninspiring

Fwiw, I think the K100’s are actually pretty decent as far as modern speakers go, but the heritage 65’s I really didn’t care for. Too dark and muffled for my taste and I hated the voicing of the H75’s

Last edited:
I had this eyears ago and recall liking them. Can they get right!?
I need speakers for my Bogner 412 and maybe Mesa V30/G1265!?
Heritage model?

Not sure I have Marshall flavored amps.
I have a Mesa modified Dual Rec, Mark V and PRS Archon.
Looking to get a Revv Generator Mark III, Marshall JVM or Kemper this summer.
Assuming you don’t wanna venture into vintage speakers, I’d do the V30’s crossed with Gold’s if I were in your shoes. Amazing combo that sounds really aggressive. But if you like redbacks or 65’s it’s possible you might find this combo too bright, biting or aggressive

i have k85s and they are def not nasally as someone stated on the front page......
I like K85s and K100s.

I just prefer the thickness, chew and dark smooth side of Redbacks. My favorites. Also love some V30s.

I have a China V30 that sounds as good as the UK and Mesa V30s in my other cabs.

I do think the Mesa UK V30s in my Splawn 412 with Redbacks sound the fattest and smoothest.

I had two China V30s I sold from my Splawn and replaced with UK, sold one China V30 from my Bogner 212 I wish I had kept as well as the two China V30s I had in my Bogner 412 that I sold. If I get more V30s I'll look for used UK or Mesas.

Thinking of combining a Mesa C-90 with the V30 in my Stone Age 212.

Gonna try some Creamback M65s and Classic Lead 80s in my Bogner 412 to contrast the V30/Redback setup in my Splawn 412.

i have k85s and they are def not nasally as someone stated on the front page......
Agreed. Kinda the opposite of what I consider a nasal tone to be if anything. I’ve got an ‘80’s K85 and I like it more than even the ‘80’s vented T75’s for my taste. Not a must have speaker for me, but very solid and great value. If you want nasal that’s where the current made blues or many current M25 GB’s come in

I saw some video reviews of K85s and K100s compared to Eminence speakers and the comments were that the Celestion were too nasal. I don't hear it.

I’ve got an ‘80’s K85 and I like it more than even the ‘80’s vented T75’s for my taste.
Got both of those too, and sometimes I prefer the little extra character that a well used mid 80's T75 brings.
The K85, while great, is a bit more neutral if not to say bland. With my Sig:X (sold already) it was quite decent, but I used it in a 2x12, paired with V30.
@PSGuitar for your Mark V, I'd look at a more neutral or even scooped sounding speaker, seeing how Mark series are typically mid-galore.

I use my little Mark V:25 with 2 Mesa 1x12 Thiele cabs, both EVM 12L loaded. Those add some serious thump.

I'd like to try an EVM12L but hear they are very stiff and precise. I like fat and chewy with some character, not just flat and accurate. Make sense? Hard to explain.

I'd like to try an EVM12L but hear they are very stiff and precise. I like fat and chewy with some character, not just flat and accurate. Make sense? Hard to explain.
A used one that's well broken in isn't really stiff. It's neutral, big sounding, but has some chewiness to it too.

I recently sold an half-open back Mesa 1x12 cab with an EVM12L*; sounded more airy, crunchy and characterful than the Thieles with EVM's, but also a bit more middy... didn't have the same punch and fatness, but hey, that's physics of the cab design.

My take was if you play more bluesy stuff, classic rock or country, the half-open back would be the better choice than the Thiele, but for (hard)rock and metal, the Thieles are king. Figuratively speaking of course. Speaker cabs can't really govern a realm or own a castle. :whistle:

*=EDIT

Last edited:
Agreed. Kinda the opposite of what I consider a nasal tone to be if anything. I’ve got an ‘80’s K85 and I like it more than even the ‘80’s vented T75’s for my taste. Not a must have speaker for me, but very solid and great value. If you want nasal that’s where the current made blues or many current M25 GB’s come in
I think the K100 has one of the most definite sounds of a speaker. It is very identifiable. The sound kicks serious ass. But it is so unique that it gets old fast. I listen to clips of when i had them. And they are badass. But I don't think it can be your only cab. Gotta have something more vintage or round to switch to.

Neutral, big and chewy is good!

I'm going to be doing a large Stage Craft diagonal 212 and I'm now thinking of using a used EVM and a Celestion. Maybe a Redbacks or MC-90?

Back