Gear from the '90's (pedal edition)

MadAsAHatter

Just looking back at some of my old gear from back in the day that I haven't used in a long time. The first couple of pedals I bought were an Ibanez PowerLead and ClassicMetal; part of the 5 series pedals. Also affectionately known as the potato bug. Around the early 2000's I got a little nostalgic about them and tracked down the rest of the 5 series. There were a few that were harder to come by, but most were fairly inexpensive.

There were some obvious duds in the series... I'm looking at you modern fusion. Others were kind of interesting like the Cyberdrive. The Tubescreamer isn't bad by any means; sounds like a tubescreamer should. And there was a diamond in the rough. The Echomachine is damn nice sounding.

One thing these guys were know for was having dodgy footswitches. That's actually a simple fix by swapping out one capacitor on the footswitch from .001 uF to .010uF. Presto! no more footswitch problems.

And these guys are damn tough. My old house was flooded out in 2016 and they sat underwater for 3 days plus. I let them air dry for several weeks, gave them a decent cleaning, and all but 2 fired right back up. I had to track down another SlamPunk and TubeScreamer.

Anyway, I was just thinking about them. Even thought I don't really use them at all they'll stay with me to the day I die. Here's a quick pic of the set.

1680212137904.png

I also have a couple of the 7 series pedals. I guess those make it into gear from the 90's since they started production in '99.

1680212256719.png

I also had one of these pieces of utter shit that I'm almost embarrassed to admit. It crapped out and I tossed it in the trash.

1680212352589.png

So what are some pedals you all still have laying around from back in the 90's? What about any that you got rid of that you wish you had back? Pics if you got 'em.

I have a DE-7 that I bought when they first came out, and have used it ever since. Never let me down. I use the echo setting only. The self oscillation is unlike any other pedal I have used in the way that it is extremely controllable. I used to use a Soundtank Powerlead way back and it was a very interesting and unique sounding distortion/boost but it ended up breaking.
54BE8581-B7CD-43B6-870F-F4EA7EBC92B7.jpeg

Wow this brings back memories! I remember those black Ibanez pedals being in guitar magazine ads back in the day! I think my first pedal was a DOD Hard Rock Distortion from the 90's. Damn I'm old LOL.

Back