Gibson at NAMM

UltraGary

I know there will be haters jumping onboard this, but I just have to say: My biggest take-away from the guitar area of the NAMM Show this year was the return of Gibson. After filing for bankruptcy and not attending last year, they're back STRONG this year with the biggest, nicest room I've ever seen. TONs of nice stuff out to play. Everything I picked up felt great and was set up well. All amps & headphones worked well and they had their A-game on with staging, work bench 'live woodworking' areas, nice staff and nothing between your curiosity and their showing off killer stuff made great. Welcome back baby...I never stopped loving you.

Attachments

• 50813568_2484255171603201_229567423605374976_o.jpg
    50813568_2484255171603201_229567423605374976_o.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 815
  • 50898527_2484185911610127_3390217913813172224_o.jpg
    50898527_2484185911610127_3390217913813172224_o.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 773
I posted something about Gibson a few days ago. I hope nothing but the best for Gibson after all of the issues over the years. I have a Gibson Les Paul Classic and SG and have had tons of LPs, SGs, and Explorers over the years. There is just something about those guitars that fits me and feels and sounds great.

The funny thing is when I first started playing guitar in the mid-80s, I couldn't stand the look of a Les Paul. I wanted all of the hair metal guitars like Charvels and Stratocasters in crazy colors.

romanianreaper":3tvzpts0 said:
I posted something about Gibson a few days ago. I hope nothing but the best for Gibson after all of the issues over the years. I have a Gibson Les Paul Classic and SG and have had tons of LPs, SGs, and Explorers over the years. There is just something about those guitars that fits me and feels and sounds great.

The funny thing is when I first started playing guitar in the mid-80s, I couldn't stand the look of a Les Paul. I wanted all of the hair metal guitars like Charvels and Stratocasters in crazy colors.

Me too! Sounds like we're "of a similar age". After starting on a LP copy, I avoided LesPauls & Strats all through my "prime" years. Hamer, BC Rich, Dean, Jackson....all that stuff. In the mid 90's a got a good LesPaul and a good Strat, and POW... they're all I play now. (although I still love & keep all that other stuff)

romanianreaper":3h84jnqu said:

I have always loved Les Pauls. I loved the LP's that the guys in faster pussy cat played & Any of Zakk's LP's...Specifically his Broken glass standard. like you, i also wanted to own a Single Hum/single Volume Charvel or Jackson. Now i want a Single Hum/Single Volume LP Standard.

I OWN 5 Les pauls, that i never get to play. I have a couple in unique colors but i never get to play any more.

I’ve always been a superstrat guy from the 80’s too, Charvels and HSS Fenders primarily.
I got interested in a Les Paul after Joe Bonamassa switched from a Strat, but I just never bonded with them. Loved the big sound, but they never stayed in tune, the shorter scale felt and sounded weird, especially for metal, it hung differently on me and my side ached with the different angle I was fretting with. I’ve been through 6 (!) Les Pauls, everything from modern to vintage to custom and I sold them all.
One day on a whim, I bought a 2016 Explorer T with a cheap price just to give a different Gibson a go. Holy !#% I loved it. It hung and played more similar to what I was used to, I could reach the higher frets, it had a much bigger sound than my Charvels, not as big a an LP, but still bigger. I still had tuning issues so I put an Evertune on it, and now it’s perfect for me.

I saw that 2019 satin Explorer in my local store. It’s tempting, but the satin finish gives it a real cheap look and feel to it like a Korean Schecter. It looks really cool but didn’t feel very cool. Next time I want to plug it in and see how the Dirty Fingers + pickups are.

Prices are just crazy high like almost custom shop high for a standard, glad there are some nice alternates like ESP..

mixn4him":19op97mk said:
Prices are just crazy high like almost custom shop high for a standard, glad there are some nice alternates like ESP..

They are on the higher end of price. I know some great players who insist on Gibson but, like you, I'd be checking out some ESPs in that range, too.

Played Gibson for the last 28 years and unfortunately I look at those pics and just see all the insane high prices to get into most of it. Last new Gibson I bought was in 1991. LP standard. It was $900. If they could offer more good shit in the $1500 range. I don't consider regular V's and explorers worth that much or SG standards. I will say the LP tributes that are sub 1K are all pretty decent and if you can get past your own personal snobbery (looking in the mirror) they would do a great job on stage or in the studio.

Glad this didn't run into a bitch-fest of everyone complaining about their hate for Gibson. I'm pulling for them getting themselves out of trouble, and their showing at NAMM was their best ever.

I just don’t get the notion that a Les Paul Studio should be fetching $1500+. Glad to hear that they’ve gotten their poop in a group though. I’ve always liked Gibson.

LP Freak":ch6ppugp said:
Have to admit, a Les Paul was my first love. :inlove:
I think many of us owe Ace Frehley thanks for this. I know I do. And it's funny - so many absolutely amazing and inspirational guitarists today actually state that, while he may not have been the most technically capable player, it was Ace that made the guitar amazingly attractive and mysteriously cool and everything a budding young muso could ask for in a "I WANT THAT" kinda way.

I love Les Pauls. I've said it before, but here we go again - they feel like home.

Glad to see Gibson in the game. My thoughts? Stay true to your original lineup - Les, SG, Explorer, V, Firebird, and ES series, acoustics, and fat Jazz'ers - and just make them hands down fucking amazing. Focus on them. Make them with top-drawer wood, And make them play perfectly. That's it that's all. No need for innovation - just make the original line up the absolute best you can.

/2 cents.

Chris O":2y7mw6vh said:
Glad to hear that they’ve gotten their poop in a group though.
And the Grammy for worst guitarist goes to...

I am happy seeing Gibson finally listening to it's customer base and going back to the roots here. Truthfully, not seeing anything that I would buy that I don't already have, but knowing Gibson is finally listening to the people who buy their guitars means they might be able to right the ship .

Gibson listening would be opening up their custom shop without it costing what they think is reasonable when in reality their numbers are ludicrous. Some real options on their designs would bring them up front instead of the back.

Ventura":1g6wcw0g said:
LP Freak":1g6wcw0g said:
I think many of us owe Ace Frehley thanks for this. I know I do. And it's funny - so many absolutely amazing and inspirational guitarists today actually state that, while he may not have been the most technically capable player, it was Ace that made the guitar amazingly attractive and mysteriously cool and everything a budding young muso could ask for in a "I WANT THAT" kinda way.

I love Les Pauls. I've said it before, but here we go again - they feel like home.

Glad to see Gibson in the game. My thoughts? Stay true to your original lineup - Les, SG, Explorer, V, Firebird, and ES series, acoustics, and fat Jazz'ers - and just make them hands down fucking amazing. Focus on them. Make them with top-drawer wood, And make them play perfectly. That's it that's all. No need for innovation - just make the original line up the absolute best you can.

/2 cents.
It was Jimmy Page and Gary Richrath for me then later on Randy Rhodes.

The problem is, for the price of a mass produced Gibson, you could get a local luthier do a hand made LP, SG or any other gibson model that you would like and it would probably turn out to be way better.

Even with a better quality, Gibson's problem still remains the price point. 3000-5000€ for a mass produced Gibson, really?

UltraGary":2howubrf said:
Glad this didn't run into a bitch-fest of everyone complaining about their hate for Gibson. I'm pulling for them getting themselves out of trouble, and their showing at NAMM was their best ever.

Yeah, me too man. I'm glad to see the Gibson name is moving back to the company that I remember. I have a Gibson T-shirt and there have been times in the past I was embarrased to wear it. LOL. I do think the prices are high, especially the Les Pauls, but is what it is.

Ventura":2y8dqqda said:
LP Freak":2y8dqqda said:

Oh yeah man, Ace and that Les Paul! I was going to put a smoke bomb in my Les Paul a few years ago when I was gigging but didn't want to ruin my guitar. LOL. I am a huge fan of Charvels and shredder guitars but I always like having a solid Les Paul.

Back