Gibson have lost their minds 🤣

Plenty of Gen X'ers and older millennials with expendable income now who grew up with guitar heroes. The craziness over Adam Jones' gear is a good example.

While it’s a good take, I kinda disagree. The age of the “rock star” is prettt much over, and the guys who buy signature guitars because they are HUGE fans of certain guitarists are still guys at the tail end of all that. Tool, Metallica, etc etc. And those guys buy everything, too. So it’s an excellent market. But I think millennials and z kids care waaaaay less about guitar hero’s and more about specs. I see far more people buying sigs of less popular guitarists for specs than because they are particularly a huge fan, unless it’s in the league of famous guitarists noted above. Plus dudes these days don’t particularly have any brand loyalty perse, plenty of well known guitarists out there these days that play all kinds of guitars (as in, not really any modern guitarists that are known for an “iconic” guitar they play), so I tend to lean to most of this kinda dying off in a lot of ways. It’ll always be around in some form, but I see it being much different down the not-too-distant road and not as common or lucrative for brands. They’ve kinda hit that last age of guitar hero’s in the 90s.

Last edited:
While it’s a good take, I kinda disagree. The age of the “rock star” is prettt much over, and the guys who buy signature guitars because they are HUGE fans of certain guitarists are still guys at the tail end of all that. Tool, Metallica, etc etc. And those guys buy everything, too. So it’s an excellent market. But I think millennials and z kids care waaaaay less about guitar hero’s and more about specs. I see far more people buying sigs of less popular guitarists for specs than because they are particularly a huge fan, unless it’s in the league of famous guitarists noted above. Plus dudes these days don’t particularly have any brand loyalty perse, plenty of well known guitarists out there these days that play all kinds of guitars (as in, not really any modern guitarists that are known for an “iconic” guitar they play), so I tend to lean to most of this kinda dying off in a lot of ways. It’ll always be around in some form, but I see it being much different down the not-too-distant road and not as common or lucrative for brands. They’ve kinda hit that last age of guitar hero’s in the 90s.
I agree—you could even make the case that now is the time to put over the top collectible instruments out there b/c in another dozen or so years most of that target demo will no longer be here.

Attachments

• fc8c4fff8fbe44e779a7969d969d9ee2.gif
    fc8c4fff8fbe44e779a7969d969d9ee2.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Not sure about recently, but the 1275s were sitting unsold for years at $5k+
People don't play those things. The Page model looks to be around $20-$30k according to what I'm seeing on reverb today.
Edit: nm, I was looking at 07 models?

Its a heavy, overpriced, awkward money grab for sure. This is the new way. :dunno:

I just want them to do an Mesa Boogie version.
*Fixed

... and a whole lotta money will grab these.
You need coolin', baby, I'm not foolin'
I'm gonna send you back to schoolin'
Way way down inside, honey you need it
I'm gonna give you my dough (ooh)
I'm gonna give you my money (ooh)

Want a whole lotta dough (x4)

Not sure about recently, but the 1275s were sitting unsold for years at $5k+
People don't play those things. The Page model looks to be around $20-$30k according to what I'm seeing on reverb today.
Edit: nm, I was looking at 07 models?
Demo shop has listed a bunch recently at $6399. I got in collecting mode for a minute, while I was watching I was seeing some around the $5k mark in the used market but they were rough. I wanted a doubleneck for collection purposes but realized at those prices a gibson doubleneck would be my most expensive guitar but could be the one that gets played the least... So I went epiphone instead, itch = scratched....

One thing that I really appreciate about most sig guitars from the past 5-10 years, is that more artists are working with builders to offer specs that players would actually want. That's way more useful than just repackaging a pre-existing model with a different paint & hardware, like most of the sig models I grew up with.

I happen to like Periphery ok, but I bought my Holcomb Seven because it offered what I wanted at a good price point. I could care less whose name is on it.

I love that every time Gibson puts out a collector's guitar that will sell out immediately people lose their shit over it.

There are plenty of everyday guitarists who like to brag up the unobtainium nature of their amp, pedal, or whatever, and how nothing else touches it, but you also can't get it anymore. I imagine some deep-pocketed collectors are probably even worse, and I think they're who these kinds of guitars are targeted at.

If I was a builder and could knock out a limited release that people would pay crazy money for, then I wouldn't hesitate. Maybe someday UNICEF will start building guitars, and then we can really worry about how much over cost they're charging ;-)

Back