Gibson V pickup advice

bpetersen

I recently got and '07 white Gibson V with an Ebony board and the previous owner put in a Duncan "59 in the bridge and I want to put something a bit hotter in it. I want to stay with a passive pickup. Any advice?

If you prefer a vintage PAF Alnico II tone, Wolfetone 'Dr. Vintage' are the best I've found. I put a set in my USA Hamer Vector '58 Korina last week.

Screenshot2012-12-29at90135PM_zpsf053b9fd.png

It sounds like the OP is looking for something a "little" hotter than the SD '59. The JB, Super Distortion, Full Shred, and Nailbomb are all quite a bit hotter and the Dr. Vintage is probably a tad lower in output compared to the '59. If the SD Screamin' Demon is along the lines of output you are looking for, you may also want to consider a Haussel 1959 custom plus it is about 11k. I am about ready to go down the pickup swapping path with my '07 Gibson Flying V and this is one on the top of my list. Great service to boot too even if you end up paying more. His '59s were strongly recommended to me very experienced in the business that knows his gear. Feel free to PM me if those interest you. I am in no way associated with them.

I dropped in some Suhr Aldrich pickups into my Edwards v and it's pretty much complete tonal bliss

Believe it or not but the stock 500t ceramics that came with the guitar are one of the best sounding in that guitar. You can pick one up fairly cheap and try it out.

joepete77":2hhfek2y said:
Believe it or not but the stock 500t ceramics that came with the guitar are one of the best sounding in that guitar. You can pick one up fairly cheap and try it out.

+1. I have a 2010 Flying V and switched the 496R/500T's out for Duncan Distortions. I'm ready to switch back

napalmdeath":2m32yvyz said:
joepete77":2m32yvyz said:

+1. I have a 2010 Flying V and switched the 496R/500T's out for Duncan Distortions. I'm ready to switch back
REally? Then again, I had a mid-nineties LP Studio that sounded the best when it had the original pickups in it.

joepete77":2t4fxefp said:
This. Mine has the 500T in the bridge and I have no desire to change it.

Back