Gigging guitarists do you use you "A" list guitars at gigs or beaters?

kmanick

I had been gigging with my USA Sl-1 for the last couple of years , but now as the values have skyrocketed on them I have started using Charvel DK24's to gig with to "save" my USA Jacksons, but last night made me rethink this. We opened for a Pat Benatar tribute band last night (who were very good BTW) and the guitarist
was using what looked like an 80's Gibson flying V, definitely worth more than my Jacksons. So it got me re thinking this , maybe I should just play my favorite guitar and hope for the best. (at a couple of scum bag bars I would leave it at home), but the venue we played at last nigh wouldn't be a problem, the stage is up off of the floor and it's an older crowd. He also had a nice high end PRS on his stand as well.
What do you gigging players do?

Last edited:
Unless one is a straight collector, meaning they don't necessarily have an appreciation for the playing/musical instrument side of the guitar, I don't personally see the value in 'saving' guitars. They're mean to be played, and there's a 'magic' to the playing experience of a guitar that you really bond with. Let's be honest here - most every guitar will outlive us, why not capture that experience? :)

I own three electrics, all As, and of course they are used live and treated like what they are: Tools to make music and have fun. Being spilled with beer, cigarette marks whatever, the guitars can handle it and most everything can bei repaired, everything else adds character. I don't get how people take shitty gear to gigs for convenience. One of the most fun parts of any gig to me is the first riff I get to play after I plugged everything in for soundcheck and let my amp roar more than I can at home.

I have to admit though that my gear is insured as my bigger fear is theft.

I would play them out. But then again, never heard of stolen gear in my region, only rehearsal room that were broken in.

It all depends. First, the beater has to play and sound just as good or close to my expensive guitars. If its a place where I can keep an eye on them then I will bring the good stuff. If its a place where I have limited sight/ distance or I dont like the looks then I will bring my beater. I always brought the good stuff no matter what until a buddy of mine got a sweet Les Paul stolen years ago. I would be devastated if someone walked with one of my geetars!

I had been gigging with my USA Sl-1 for the last couple of years , but now as the values have skyrocketed on them I have started using Charvel DK24's to gig with to "save" my USA Jacksons, but last night made me rethink this. We opened for a Pat Benatar tribute band last night (who were very good BTW) and the guitarist
was using what looked like an 80's Gibson flying V, definitely worth more than my Jacksons. So it got me re thinking this , maybe I should just play my favorite guitar and hope for the best. (at a couple of scum bag bars I would leave it at home), but the venue we played at last nigh wouldn't be a problem, the stage is up off of the floor and it's an older crowd. He also had a nice high end PRS on his stand as well.
What do you gigging players do?
Wait, what happened to prices? Are they sub 5k now or am I having problems with my vision?

And on the topic: I’m not good enough to gig, but I wouldn’t take special instruments out on a gig because of severe OCD.

It all depends. First, the beater has to play and sound just as good or close to my expensive guitars. If its a place where I can keep an eye on them then I will bring the good stuff. If its a place where I have limited sight/ distance or I dont like the looks then I will bring my beater. I always brought the good stuff no matter what until a buddy of mine got a sweet Les Paul stolen years ago. I would be devastated if someone walked with one of my geetars!
well my DK's aren't exactly "beaters" but they are easily replaceable, the values on my USA soloists have almost tripled since Covid, before the pandemic my SL-1 was my main gigging guitar

I never buy gear that I wouldn’t gig. The real high-end shit doesn’t matter at a gig anyway. It’s place to shine is when recording, in which case the studio may have the tools or they can be rented. I choose my tools based on reliability, versatility according to the gigs needs, and tone, but not in any particular order. Who cases about the perfect tone if it’s a single channel amp at a gig where you need three or four distinctly different tones, or is going to shit out a tube halfway through a set. The soundguy is going to make your $4k boutique 2203 clone sound like a can of bees anyway.

I play everything. I just watch my stuff during loading and unloading. The most dangerous time to get robbed is when someone is stalking your shit while in and out of the venue…. They watch, they make the plan, then they snatch…. 15 seconds to pull a JEM, LP, PRS etc. and away they go….

I have AirTags in my majn gigging amps and guitar cases. If one were to walk away while at a gig, I’d get an alert immediately.

If we’re playing the whole night, I take my A listers. If we’re playing a slot, I usually take a beater. But my beaters are decent guitars.

It depends on what genre I'm playing. Also the venue. If there is stuff like stage diving and throwing shit I will play something like Jackson pro series. I'm not someone who will buy something just to display but I'm not taking 4k mayones to play for 20 punks at a bar that is paying us in free beer(I don't drink so playing for free). Reason being is I really can't replace some of my guitars if something happened to them. I just don't have that deep of a pocket.

My guitars get gigged and relic’d the old fashion way. LP custom shop or not and muts also. I’m fortunate enough my gig plays nice venues. If you are gigging on a regular basis insure your gear.

Buy relics ! Problem solved ! Don’t like ‘em ? Buy real beat to shit 80s guitars and play ‘em.

I use all my a-list guitars live at gigs.

I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a guitar I couldn't do that with, and that's why I don't really do the "vintage" thing or buy guitars as collector pieces.

That said, yes I would certainly shit a brick if my Edgeburst or my Ignitor "walked away" during a gig. I should get some airtags for them, and my Larry.

Back