Glenn is BSing again

Key bit of info:
1711018824041.png

In light of that, the video seems a bit tautological in that it's basically saying "I set amps to sound different and they sounded different." I'd assume Glen set them to sound as close as possible to each other in the vein of the Jim Lill video that did something similar, in which case it's the only slightly more interesting tautology "I set these amps to sound similar and they sounded similar." Slightly interesting because you don't (or I don't) expect amps to be able to match that closely. I'd say that the most either of these videos show is that you can set amps to sound similar or different, and that more thorough comparisons are needed before either Glen or the tonehounds here can claim victory.

Key bit of info:
View attachment 297536
In light of that, the video seems a bit tautological in that it's basically saying "I set amps to sound different and they sounded different." I'd assume Glen set them to sound as close as possible to each other in the vein of the Jim Lill video that did something similar, in which case it's the only slightly more interesting tautology "I set these amps to sound similar and they sounded similar." Slightly interesting because you don't (or I don't) expect amps to be able to match that closely. I'd say that the most either of these videos show is that you can set amps to sound similar or different, and that more thorough comparisons are needed before either Glen or the tonehounds here can claim victory

I`m sure it is possilbe to get them to a point where they sound almost identical. But than again, you only have this one piont/settings on both amps, where they do that. But what`s the point of that? It`s like replacing your tone knobs with fixed resistors and than claiming, both amps sound the same instead of setting each amp up to where it sounds it`s best.
He`s misleading people just for clickbait. He knows it, we know it and he knows, that we know it. Which means he is deliberately monetizing on all the suckers that don`t know it.

Key bit of info:
View attachment 297536
In light of that, the video seems a bit tautological in that it's basically saying "I set amps to sound different and they sounded different." I'd assume Glen set them to sound as close as possible to each other in the vein of the Jim Lill video that did something similar, in which case it's the only slightly more interesting tautology "I set these amps to sound similar and they sounded similar." Slightly interesting because you don't (or I don't) expect amps to be able to match that closely. I'd say that the most either of these videos show is that you can set amps to sound similar or different, and that more thorough comparisons are needed before either Glen or the tonehounds here can claim victory.
This is something I look for when watching comparison videos and it probably happens more than I would like to admit.

I learned that lesson years ago with a brand/video I won't mention. Dial your amp to sound like crap and sure, it will sound like crap.

I think the best gear videos have the best possible dialed tone from whatever gear is being demoed, possibly in a full mix.

Then sweep the knobs to showcase.

The dude does it for clicks. Good to see some other people starting to call him out. He’s over the top. It’s unfortunate it seems like his channel started with good intention as a teaching platform now is just clickbait and the same yelling stuff over and over.

I think the issue between Glenn and most guitarists is that Glenn lives in a world of (high gain) close mic recording (quantitative), and most guitarists live in a world of how things sound in the room / live (qualitative). Trying to recreate some of these things myself, I've found that both points of view are more or less correct. Eg. when you close mic record high gain, speakers & mics make a big difference, amps may make a difference, and nothing else really makes much of a difference. In the room however, for reasons I have a theory about, I feel (there's the operative word) like I can detect differences all the way down to what pick I'm using!

To the tube guys, I challenge you this. Make a close mic A/B recording USING A REAMP (critical) where you hold literally everything exactly the same except the tubes, and get back to us with the sample. I did this with an amp where I swapped 6L6 running around 36 mA vs a set of EL34 running around 17mA. Should be vastly different, right? Sure "seemed" like it in the room!

To the amp guys, here's a reamp comparo I did with a Mark IVb vs a 6505+. Again, should be vastly different, right? Sure "seemed" like it in the room!

If you want to talk close mic high gain recording, the things that do matter are speakers..

...and mics. Remember- EVERY TONE you know and love from songs you've heard- WERE RECORDED.

To be clear I'm not here to defend Glenn as I think he has been sucked into jerking off for the algorithm because that's his income now. What I'm saying is that the issue here is perspective & perception, and when you align those things I believe it's probable that both sides are correct. So, I'll leave you with this thought. Are you trying to solve the problem, or are you trying to win the argument?

Glen says Tubes don't make a difference.. I wish I would have know that because then I wouldn't have hundreds of different examples that all sound different.. :rolleyes:

Same goes for me with pickups, bro. I've installed several hundred.

Hmmm. Maybe I should email Glenn and apologize...

Dear Glenn,

You obviously know more that I do. It would have been a blessing to have the benefit of your wisdom 40 years ago. Thanks to you, I now know that ALL stock pickups are just as good in every way. I could have saved a lot of people their hard earned money. I mean really, who cares about something as useless as tone? Gosh I'm sorry.

NOT.

Glenn can come off as an asshole and this video absolutely had a clickbait title, but if you actually watch it, you'll see the point of this video is that basically "speakers are a huge component of high gain tone, and your amp doesn't make as much of a difference as you might think it does" which is absolutely true. And I say this as a guy who just bought a Wizard.

His videos are usually marketed towards people who like metal and are fairly new to guitar in general. You know, people who usually think the amp is everything, and that whatever speaker cab you happen to pull out of the dumpster should do just fine because they're "only speakers, who cares?" so overall it's a good lesson to teach those people.

The amps in Glenn's video sound similar and the amps in other peoples' videos sound different because they have knobs you can turn to adjust them. Ever taken a 5150 and cranked the Presence and Depth to minimize negative feedback? Since the Dual Recto has no negative feedback, you can get them to sound pretty similar if you try. And if both amps are boosted using the same boost, then you can get them to sound almost the same. Yes you can dial them to sound wildly different as well, and Glenn obviously didn't do that here to illustrate a point, which you can argue is or isn't deceptive, but in the end he was still using both amps and didn't lie about anything, and he did a decent job showing how drastic a speaker change can be.

Last edited:
Thus guys still around ? Fortunately he has not been on my algorithm for years . I’m lucky . And I’m not clicking on it lol

Back