Going back to the basics.

tweed

Been trying to jump back in with the theory discussions but just haven't had the time to brush up on things as I should. So I've decided to do basic finger warmups(1234, 4321) up and down the fret board for 10 mins or so and then work on the modes again.

Ive noticed I am doing something I always do that is probably a bad thing. I am memorizing shapes when playing the modes. Is this a bad habit to develop? If so, how do you guys get around this?

tweed":01351 said:
Been trying to jump back in with the theory discussions but just haven't had the time to brush up on things as I should. So I've decided to do basic finger warmups(1234, 4321) up and down the fret board for 10 mins or so and then work on the modes again.

Ive noticed I am doing something I always do that is probably a bad thing. I am memorizing shapes when playing the modes. Is this a bad habit to develop? If so, how do you guys get around this?

no i dont think its bad. how else would you remember them? im a very visual person i need to see stuff to make it work. the cool thing is you can just shift those memorized shapes over to compensate for any key you wanna play in. try THAT on a piano! HA

I have several patterns memorized for Major, Minor, and other scales. They each have their own cool things.

Yes, it makes it wasy easy to switch keys with patterns :)

Back