Gojira STL controlhub mix! New studio build.

VESmedic

I was fortunate enough to get asked by STL tones to try out their new controlhub plugin prior to launch, and I of course was happy to do so! It’s a fantastic plugin that models entire signal chains from producers, some absolutely KILLER stuff in there, as well as more to come.

My studio is completely torn apart right now, as I am having it built out by a custom designer named Roger Darcy, who is arguably the best studio designer in the world. So right now, I was only able to mix on headphones, but I was impressed with what I came up with personally.

Signal chain was pretty standard for me:

ESP horizon emg 57/66 set
5153 EL34 100 blue channel
EVH cab
Sm57/OC18 combo
BAE 1073 preamps
Apogee conversion

Bass:

LTD AP-5
BAE 1073 preamp
Control hub for the tones
Waves CLA bass

This really is a fantastic plugin ( controlhub), I can’t talk enough about this!
Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/PVv2EU1LuSffFsaP8

Last edited:
Wow. I wasn't expecting it to be that good, I mean, it's as good as it gets. Fucking love it man.

Thanks so much! That’s quite the compliment. It definitely gets better, but I’m getting there hopefully. I’m just amazed at how well this mixed turned out on headphones haha! Glad you dig it.

Wait until you hear a Massenburg hardware eq. :p
Not to derail the thread, but I had one of these for years and it was the first piece of hardware I found easily replaceable by plugins. It doesn’t sound like anything. Plug-ins generally excel at not sounding like anything. For electric guitars, out of everything I owned, the 8200 would have been one of the last things I’d patch in. For pretty, delicate acoustic guitars, sure.

This is in direct contrast to the 8900 which I’ve never heard anything even remotely capable of replacing. Nothing could come close to that for tracking vocals for people who may not have the best mic technique.

IMO and all that, obviously.

Not to derail the thread, but I had one of these for years and it was the first piece of hardware I found easily replaceable by plugins. It doesn’t sound like anything. Plug-ins generally excel at not sounding like anything. For electric guitars, out of everything I owned, the 8200 would have been one of the last things I’d patch in. For pretty, delicate acoustic guitars, sure.

This is in direct contrast to the 8900 which I’ve never heard anything even remotely capable of replacing. Nothing could come close to that for tracking vocals for people who may not have the best mic technique.

IMO and all that, obviously.

Man, the 8200 is by far my favorite eq on guitars for me personally haha! It just does exactly what I want and nothing else. It doesn’t impart something I don’t want at a cost to something I DO want it to do, for me personally. I, like many, was into all the color eq’s etc, but I just find more often than not they screw up your mix and cause all kinds of weird shit going on with phase and especially more than anything, low end problems/mud. I definitely still love some of them, especially something like a pultec, or a Manley massive passive on the mix buss or even drums, but more often than not, I’m reaching for something clean. I think it’s like anything, it depends on how you learned and who your mentors are. Most of my guys strive to painstakingly get tones at the source with minuscule mic movements, changing out gear before it gets in the box etc. this is how I learned. So when I want to eq something, I want it to be razor sharp and transparent and do exactly what I want and nothing else. That’s just my personal taste though, 100 percent.

So VESmedic, have you compared this mix with your hardware? You've got a killer setup now, it might become redundant investing in all of this if the lure of ITB has you hooked. I'm happy in hybrid but I must admit sometimes having to route to hardware and then print to track is a PITA. Mainly because it frees up EQ or other for another track.

So VESmedic, have you compared this mix with your hardware? You've got a killer setup now, it might become redundant investing in all of this if the lure of ITB has you hooked. I'm happy in hybrid but I must admit sometimes having to route to hardware and then print to track is a PITA. Mainly because it frees up EQ or other for another track.

I’ll give you a more in depth answer later on, but the short of it is, I’m kinda like you, I love hybrid, but the convenience of ITB sometimes just makes life so easy, even with a Patchbay like I have and im sure you have etc. i like hardware preamps for sure, I’m a die hard 1073 guy on guitars, vox, etc, but outside of that: man, digital is really great there’s no doubt. I’d love to make a mix sometime just utilizing my real sontec 250 on everything vs the MDWEQ

I’ll give you a more in depth answer later on, but the short of it is, I’m kinda like you, I love hybrid, but the convenience of ITB sometimes just makes life so easy, even with a Patchbay like I have and im sure you have etc. i like hardware preamps for sure, I’m a die hard 1073 guy on guitars, vox, etc, but outside of that: man, digital is really great there’s no doubt. I’d love to make a mix sometime just utilizing my real sontec 250 on everything vs the MDWEQ

The only reason I have invested in outboard beyond the sound is because I like the look and feel of my old console with everything in front of me. I want to eventually finish a tune and then compare just on board EQ and external hardware comps/EQ with an all in the box approach to see. Load up the tracks with API and Neve plugs. See what the difference is to my ear. I'm hoping I like the hardware better or else I might just use my console as a giant summing mixer with faders at 0 lol.

C'mon man, give the guy a break. At least give him a C++

Clip sounded really good VES! The more I hear examples of this plugin, the more I want to demo it. It seems like a time saver which these days, I'm all for.

Oh Christ, how did I miss this joke!?!! :D Well played gentleman well played!

Man, the 8200 is by far my favorite eq on guitars for me personally haha! It just does exactly what I want and nothing else. It doesn’t impart something I don’t want at a cost to something I DO want it to do, for me personally. I, like many, was into all the color eq’s etc, but I just find more often than not they screw up your mix and cause all kinds of weird shit going on with phase and especially more than anything, low end problems/mud. I definitely still love some of them, especially something like a pultec, or a Manley massive passive on the mix buss or even drums, but more often than not, I’m reaching for something clean. I think it’s like anything, it depends on how you learned and who your mentors are. Most of my guys strive to painstakingly get tones at the source with minuscule mic movements, changing out gear before it gets in the box etc. this is how I learned. So when I want to eq something, I want it to be razor sharp and transparent and do exactly what I want and nothing else. That’s just my personal taste though, 100 percent.
That’s what makes it all interesting. Back when I was coming up through the ranks I got to assist a lot of really great engineers. None of them did it like any of the others. What mics went where was always different. The signal paths - all different. But they all got great results. That's the art of it. Monitors especially. I worked with one guy who listened in mono on a little Sony boom box at a volume I could barely hear from behind him. Never even threw it up to the mains until the artist got there. Then it sounded glorious. Multiple grammy winner. I worked with some guys who would never even think of patching in an EQ. If it needed eq, it was the wrong mic in the wrong place. Then I'd work with a guy who would strap an EQ across a channel and go to town before they ever went out and moved or changed the mic. If the Sontec or GML is your go to tool, go to town with it. That's what makes it fun!

Well Control Hub is being pushed on all my social media and I even see Fluff is in on it so expect everyone and their dog to be using the same presets and mixing "ready to print" music and sounding the same. It is all becoming so generic and status quo. Everything sounds the same for this very reason. Stick to your hardware man!

Back