gold lion kt77's biasing cold (half of normal)?

9ball

I got a set of gold lion kt77's to try out a couple weeks ago - finally got time to put them in tonight and try them - they're biasing about half of what is normal for my amp(which is about 80mv). I put them in - checked the bias - 39mv - i turned it up to 75 and played it for a bit - sounded ok - put the jjkt77's back in and it was up to like 114.
wtf lol....is one of the new gold lions bad?

No, they aren't bad. Just a different structure and current flow than the JJ's. I experienced the same thing between the two types. Adjust the bias to what sounds best. I wouldn't think that cold would be the best sound for that tube though. You will lose headroom and break up will come very early. I preferred the JJ's over the GL's in my particular application.

Yeah i just realized after i posted that that they can't be bad if i played it and heard it lol...i'll fuck with em. So far i'm not "wow'd"....not a hundred bucks worth of wow'd anyways lol....

9ball":1aem3i3c said:
Yeah i just realized after i posted that that they can't be bad if i played it and heard it lol...i'll fuck with em. So far i'm not "wow'd"....not a hundred bucks worth of wow'd anyways lol....

I think the quality control and reproduction sells them. They are probably better audiophile tubes than in high gain amps. Tone wise, not too impressed either. Damn sure not for the money. FWIW, I think JJ stepped their game up a bit and don't mind running them in a variety of amps.

First impression - i like the jj's better too. I don't see myself dropping 50 on a gold lion pre amp tube any time soon lol

Hm. I dunno....maybe i had the bias off. To me they sound just like the jj's only not as much ass in the low end lol...but then i'm just playing them in this tsl 60. God i need a new amp already lol

I asked a guy at Tube Depot year ago or so about those Gold Lions and he said don't bother and that the JJ KT77 was as good or better.

I had a quad of the JJs in my JVM for a while and they were great.

killertone":cs5bu6zl said:
I asked a guy at Tube Depot year ago or so about those Gold Lions and he said don't bother and that the JJ KT77 was as good or better.

Hellfire is that a MIDGET in your avatar, Jason?!?!?! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Ventura":3emfbuul said:
killertone":3emfbuul said:

Hellfire is that a MIDGET in your avatar, Jason?!?!?! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Why yes it is...say hello to METAL MIDGET!!

hard_core_heavy_metal_midget-761053.jpg

killertone":1buvihms said:
Ventura":1buvihms said:
killertone":1buvihms said:

The rest of the picture is just as epic:

metal_zps168a8058.jpg

rupe":i2opmz5e said:
killertone":i2opmz5e said:
Ventura":i2opmz5e said:
killertone":i2opmz5e said:

The rest of the picture is just as epic:

metal_zps168a8058.jpg

Adorable. He even has a midget mullet.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back