Good Amp and no pedals....????

I have the expectation that if you are looking at amps, with a no pedal clause, I am expecting that these amps are going to be reasonably budget friendly.

Here are my suggestions (all combos)

Marshall DSL40C
Vox AC30/AC15
Mesa Fillmore (25 or 50)
Mesa Lonestar (special or regular)
Marshall Studio Jubilee (2525C)

Something like a Fender Bassbreaker would also be a reasonable choice on a budget. I would personally go for the 45, but there are lots of variants.

Some of the suggestions here (or most) just don't make sense.

If you didn't have any pedals and could only use a Good Amp, what would that amp be to get great cleans, crunchy classic rock...No metal
Thanks
Are you asking rhetorically or are you looking for advice on purchasing a new amp?

I ask because if it is the former, then it really is just viewed as a fun thread to hear people's opinions - in which case no harm no foul. The DSL, Lonestar and Traynor etc are all great suggestions (although I'd probably go for a Traynor YCV50B).

But if you are looking for purchase advice, then a bit more information would help. Like, what kind of music do you play? Where do you live roughly? What is your top end budget? Do you gig? Do you want a new amp or is a used amp OK? Do you prefer a combo or head?

Those things make a huge difference. So if I threw out a Splawn Quick Rod fits your bill and then you tell me you are in the UK, have $1,200 USD, only want new, don't gig, prefer a combo and mostly play U2 type riffs then that amp is not going to help you.

I would go with the Marshall JVM 410 which I have. 4 chanel and you can dial almost anything you want with every chanel, seperate reverb for each chanel.

Last edited:
I would say a Mesa Trem-O-Verb.

Good enough for Lindsay Buckingham, Jeff Buckley, Soundgarden, Incubus, and many others. Sure, it can do metal like any other Rev G rectifier, but the cleans on that amp have some mojo to them.

Fryette Sig:X would be my second pick.

Someone mentioned a Diezel D-Moll. I would disagree, in that, while the clean channel is great (and very versatile), Channels 2/3 are already super saturated before they start to sing. It's definitely a lot farther into hard rock land than classic crunch before you even consider pedals.

I can cover all of my bases with a 2 channel JVM. Clean to metal, I could be a happy man with only that amp
I can't disagree with is. I should've never gotten rid of my 205H. I've also had a SigX and it covers a lot of ground but I liked the cleans of my JVM much more.

I’m not sure I’ve ever read a negative review of the Hughs and Kettner line - particularly their more recent, optioned out offerings. Virtually all of the reviews are particularly favorable with regard to tonal flexibility.

Last edited:
I would say a Mesa Trem-O-Verb.

Good enough for Lindsay Buckingham, Jeff Buckley, Soundgarden, Incubus, and many others. Sure, it can do metal like any other Rev G rectifier, but the cleans on that amp have some mojo to them.

Fryette Sig:X would be my second pick.

Someone mentioned a Diezel D-Moll. I would disagree, in that, while the clean channel is great (and very versatile), Channels 2/3 are already super saturated before they start to sing. It's definitely a lot farther into hard rock land than classic crunch before you even consider pedals.
I don't have mine anymore, but I think the three channels, combined with an HSS guitar and the volume control can do just about anything. I got the impression that the OP didn't want a recommendation, per se, just suggestions on which amp that would be able to do it. The most important thing is that one likes the sound. The second is that if you're going to use it live, and need the versatility to do "Angie", "Start me up", "Rosanna", "Smoke on the water" and "Hammer smashed face" in the same set, you could do it with a D-moll. Would it sound 100% autenthic, and like the record? No :D

I would second the H&K suggestion, especially for being able to do a lot with nothing but the amps footswitch.

Or if the idea is to "go large, just without pedals", I would think my buy might be a Revv Generator Mk 3

Your description makes me think of a Demeter TGA-2. Really good cleans and classic-voiced gain. Not metal at all.

For the OP, the JVM can do nearly anything competently. I think it could be the most versatile and often overlooked amp on the market. The amp looks complicated but it isn’t. It has four channels and it does more than just Marshall tones.

Back