Good Passive Pickup Bass?

srinivassa

I'm not knowledgeable in different basses. I was hoping to pick up a good passive pickup bass, but I don't know who makes one. It seems like most of the better basses have a lot of active electronics now. Anyway preferences are (in order:)

passive pickups
5-string (with a possible consideration to 6)
35" scale
<$1000
neck thru
active eq

Basses I already have are:
Ibanez GSR200, which I like a lot. It has passives which really growl more and take articulation better. Single bass boost knob that gives you a more deep/agressive rock tone. Good but I'd like a 5-string. Also it feels like a piece of plastic.
Peavey Millenium AC4. I keep this tuned to Eb and use it for stuff like STP, AIC, other hard/alternative downtune rock. It is all active and has a very deep and agressive sound. I like it, but I like the Ibanez better. The Peavy can't dial way back with those actives. It's not as articulate and punchy.

So what is the golden ticket? I have a hard time figuring out what basses are even passive from looking online. The Fender Jazz Basses look like they are passive, and maybe Warwick. I don't want to pay that much though. What stuff should I try if I can find it in a local music store?

Any help is appreaciated. Thanks!

I would wait for BEZO to chime in here. Dude has A good working knowledge of basses, and only plays bartolini passive electronic.
He will tell you to buy a used spectre and put in bartolini's more than likely lol

Spewnz":2zexezf7 said:
http://schecterguitars.com/Products/Bass/Stiletto-Elite-5.aspx#

Are thos EMG pickups passive? I like Schecter instruments in general, but I thought they pretty much went over to active pickups.

I've seen Bartonlini in some Ibanez basses, but I was unclear which were passive. I think Bartolini makes some active, some passive, and maybe even some switchable. So I'm never sure what it is I'm looking at.

The Ibanez BTB basses are rock monsters. They have passive pickups, but an 18 volt three band EQ/preamp. My wife has (yes my wife) an Ibanez BTB 5 string, and a warwick thumb 5 string. I go for the Ibanez for all my bass tracking that I do if that says anything. :rock:

srinivassa":3ja56xa5 said:
Spewnz":3ja56xa5 said:
http://schecterguitars.com/Products/Bass/Stiletto-Elite-5.aspx#

Are thos EMG pickups passive? I like Schecter instruments in general, but I thought they pretty much went over to active pickups.

I've seen Bartonlini in some Ibanez basses, but I was unclear which were passive. I think Bartolini makes some active, some passive, and maybe even some switchable. So I'm never sure what it is I'm looking at.

yes the emg HZ's are passive

I just bought one of these, since they're on sale, and it pretty much hits what I want on the nose. The EMG HZ get pretty good reviews. I did not know they were passive. I guess it turns out most nicer basses are passive pups unless otherwise noted, so I guess I really didn't have much of a question here.

81394-4b7047b0a8af43d4abfa4e2a8d3a8546.jpg

Shatter_The_Silence":lg1hms18 said:
I would wait for BEZO to chime in here. Dude has A good working knowledge of basses, and only plays bartolini passive electronic.
He will tell you to buy a used spectre and put in bartolini's more than likely lol

Buy a Spector bass and put Bartolini bass pickups in it.

No, seriously. Get a nicer Ibanez with Bartolinis in it. A Fender with Bartolinis in it. Fuck, pick up a Squire and put Bartolinis in it! Just put Bartolini bass pickups in it. Their active preamp is one of the best on the market too.

Seriously, Bartolini Bass Pickups!

Thanks. Really my cabs suck anyway, so there may not be a big gap between bartolini and what I bought. I'm probably going to stay a mediocre bass player. I just want a decent 5, so I can work on cover tunes. That's been my bass goal for a while, just to get in a decent hard rock/alternative cover band. No luck so far. I'm mostly hoping a 5 will help me with detune stuff without having to setup and maintain intonation on two 4 strings. (E, and Eb/drop Db)

Back