Good, relatively inexpensive tube tester options?

MadAsAHatter

I'm trying to be more self sufficient with amp maintenance and such so I want to get a tube tester. I'm wanting a simple general purpose type tester to make sure tubes are functioning and gauge how much life they have left in them. At this point I'm not really after anything for tube matching. If it happens to have that function great, but not a necessity at this time. After some research I'm thinking a mutual conductance tester would the be what I'm after. What's a decent one to look out for? Something that's easily obtainable and not going to break the bank; maybe a couple hundred dollars?

I couldn't find anything. I just ended up buying maxi-matcher power and preamp tube testers. I bit the bullet, but I'm happy with what I have and know exactly what tubes I have and what is used in my amps.

Only problem is “working condition” doesn’t necessarily mean calibrated. Hopefully it works out for you
I'm going on the assumption that it's probably not "calibrated". I did look it up and it's a straight forward procedure to set it. Insert a known good tube, set switches for said tube, then use a screwdriver to adjust the variable resistor so the meter reads 36; basically in the middle of the "good" range. It's not exactly a precision instrument, but enough to let me know if a tube is good or bad. As long as it actually works I should be good to go.

I have an Orange valve tester. It's simplistic and consumer grade. Some pros & cons-
- It matches power tubes to within ~5-6 mA. (gives a "rating")
- It's very consistent
- It will call out bad tubes
- Tests both halves of preamp tubes & give a strength "rating" to each half.
- Does NOT call out noisy / microphonic tubes.
- Only place I wish I had "more" is a tester that calls out an actual value for each tube for more precise matching.

For testing mutual conductance you usually have to go one step further than what all those common testers are capable of. Most of them measure emission only.
I have a Beck RM1 that measures emission for all common power and preamp tubes. The tester is new and does not need any calibration like those vintage testers. It‘s about 400-500.- € as I remember.

I have an old Eico 666 (they changed the number to 667 at some point) that does what I need it to. Not sure of the 2023 prices for 50 year old electronics. For Power tubes, I use the Eico to confirm function and then match them in the amp with the Weber Bias Rite. Works for me. I cant imagine buying tubes without having a tester. Current production product is probably the maxi matcher. Hard to justify the expense for the average Joe.

I have an Orange valve tester. It's simplistic and consumer grade. Some pros & cons-
- It matches power tubes to within ~5-6 mA. (gives a "rating")
- It's very consistent
- It will call out bad tubes
- Tests both halves of preamp tubes & give a strength "rating" to each half.
- Does NOT call out noisy / microphonic tubes.
- Only place I wish I had "more" is a tester that calls out an actual value for each tube for more precise matching.
One way to match tubes is, use whatever tool you use to bias tubes and test every one in the same amp. Write the value on the tube base. After going through your collection you can then match up tubes based on your recorded values on the tube bases. I did this with my EL34s in my JCM 800, and 6L6s in my Mesa.

One way to match tubes is, use whatever tool you use to bias tubes and test every one in the same amp. Write the value on the tube base. After going through your collection you can then match up tubes based on your recorded values on the tube bases. I did this with my EL34s in my JCM 800, and 6L6s in my Mesa.

That's my plan now. Check tubes on my new to me tube tester and use an amp to match them if I need. Most everything I have on hand is already pre-matched, but it never hurts to do the work yourself and know for sure.

That's my plan now. Check tubes on my new to me tube tester and use an amp to match them if I need. Most everything I have on hand is already pre-matched, but it never hurts to do the work yourself and know for sure.
I have a Bias tool that plugs into a tube socket; put the tube in and it goes to a multimeter. Works great. I’ve loaded up my stash with mostly used/strong tubes, so I’ve needed to measure and match them as best I can from home.

I have a Bias tool that plugs into a tube socket; put the tube in and it goes to a multimeter. Works great. I’ve loaded up my stash with mostly used/strong tubes, so I’ve needed to measure and match them as best I can from home.
Sounds similar to what I got except I sprung for the "pro one" from eurotubes. It's self contained, plugs into the tube socket, and shows plate current & voltage. I also bough a 4 probe one from Amazon when they went on sale for like $45. Between those 2 biasing is a snap.

I couldn't find anything. I just ended up buying maxi-matcher power and preamp tube testers. I bit the bullet, but I'm happy with what I have and know exactly what tubes I have and what is used in my amps.

How do you like the Maxi Preamp tester, Dave? I have a couple very nice B & K 707 tube testers, and also a TV – 7 , But I’ve been thinking of getting something more modern and precise.
It’s pretty hi-tech and prints out test readings for each triode, right?
Does it measure gain and transconductance?

How do you like the Maxi Preamp tester, Dave? I have a couple very nice B & K 707 tube testers, and also a TV – 7 , But I’ve been thinking of getting something more modern and precise.
It’s pretty hi-tech and prints out test readings for each triode, right?
Does it measure gain and transconductance?
I love them and have used them extensively. I know EXACTLY what goes into my amps. It makes it super easy to find something I like, write down all specs and be able to replicate my likes over and over. Yes the measure gain and transconductance. Note that I have sold so many tubes that the profits have paid for testers.

https://maximatcher.com/

I love them and have used them extensively. I know EXACTLY what goes into my amps. It makes it super easy to find something I like, write down all specs and be able to replicate my likes over and over. Yes the measure gain and transconductance. Note that I have sold so many tubes that the profits have paid for testers.

https://maximatcher.com/

Very nice!
I can probably sell a couple of mine, keep the best one, and have the $ to pay for the Maxi.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, that's how I do it since I don't have a tester with that much granularity. Have to do a pair at a time though for this method, doing a quad will pull the neighbors towards each other.

I'm trying to be more self sufficient with amp maintenance and such so I want to get a tube tester. I'm wanting a simple general purpose type tester to make sure tubes are functioning and gauge how much life they have left in them. At this point I'm not really after anything for tube matching. If it happens to have that function great, but not a necessity at this time. After some research I'm thinking a mutual conductance tester would the be what I'm after. What's a decent one to look out for? Something that's easily obtainable and not going to break the bank; maybe a couple hundred dollars?
I had one year period to find “user friendly” tube tester, but testing tubes is a huge rabbit hole.
I had discussions with old “ masters of tube science” , and at the end I finished the project.
For non tube amp technicians is the best solution is buying tested/selected/matched tubes from trusted professional sources.

Back