got a demo of the new Mesa Tc-50 today

LOL! I LITERALLY posted elsewhere that most clips I have heard have a very "white" non-descript vanilla tone to them. Seems like a good chameleon amp for pedals with no character of its own.

Surprisingly the Mesa demo's sounded the best. Some of the "other guys" tones have left a lot to be desired thus far.

I know clips are clips but the 2-3 demos videos I've listened to mirror your opinion. Sounded run of the mill.

Rezamatix":dwgmsr2r said:
jsp":dwgmsr2r said:
Mesa Hollywood?
yea.
some really cool dudes at that store..but this one kid just rubbed me the wrong way right off the bat. I have been going there since the mid 90's, the guitar I picked up DIDNT have sign on it saying DONT TOUCH! it was a relic'd NASH, i was gonna fucking buy it too...but he popped off and I just put it back and let my friend play the amp. I was just disgusted at the kid at that point and just listened and didn't say another word.

Amp was MEH, I didn't get a chance, NO ONE got a chance to either turn it up properly, fuck with it properly..we were just on a tour guide experience with and over hyped sales kid. not a good experience.
We don't need a fucking walk thru, we will ask you questions when we have them. Let us play the amp, turn the knobs, find tones, OURSELVES...

rant over.

:)
Instead I scored a vintage Marshall from Guitar Center so FTW!!

Yeah, that's also where I went to try it out. We must have had the same kid. He made me use their demo Schecter that was set up horribly, went through each channel himself to "make sure it was dialed in right" (it wasn't), and I did get a little time with the amp by myself but he hurried me out of the store 15 minutes before closing. Oh well.

I want to like the amp. It's features are perfect but the demos haven't been inspiring so far. I did like the previous royal Atlantic so maybe they'll make a couple versions that get better

not for nothing dude but you are rubbed the wrong way quite often and easily..the sweetwater demo sounded like ass im not interested in the slightest...

Yeah, he didn't really gauge my interest in the amp, just kinda let me leave. I'm somewhat used to it, since I look young I think people assume I won't buy higher end gear, even though I do.

That's unfortunate to hear about the amp itself. It has some great features, but none of the demos have done it for me yet. I guess I'll keep saving for a Meathead.

MetalHeadMike":5iacq15c said:
Is this at all representative of how you heard it during your demo?

I don't know man it just sounds like a lot of fart there's something I just don't jive with
Sounds kinda like an orange or Rivera

I would take the Archon hands don't over this

^^^
I agree with what others are saying here in that it sounds like a generic kind of distortion if that makes sense. Nothing stands out making me think that this amp really snarls or growls, etc. But like I said I'm just basing my opinion off the clips I heard which is pretty unfair really.

I haven't been blown away by the clips either. Jury is still out for me. I think the clean sounds really good, but I expected more bark and bite out of the crunch channel. And I thought the red channel would be more crisp, like a MKIII or JP-2C. The layout bugs me, too.

steve_k":1dwizmid said:
Clips are pretty lame. The amp needs to be played, not romanced.

true... the clips don't give you any usable idea on how the amp sounds and feels... You have to try it yourself.
Even with "better" demo videos, were the sound is supposedly not changed/ post-produced, I still find it hard to "replicate" that sound.
So bottom line, you have to play the amp for yourself, to really get a feel

Rezamatix":3bne3hw2 said:
not a great experience. but whatever. (some douchey young salesKID in there is a know it all but doesnt know 1 important thing, when to shut up and let the men test the amps)

my best friend who is an excellent guitarist took the amp for a test drive, it was kinda MEH at best.

At no single point as I was observing and listening did I say, WOW AAAAMAAAZING, this is a fucking killer amp.

Nope. instead had to listen to the wasted sperm of a saleskid prattle on about shit we already knew, and even stopped us from testing the amp with a guitar of our choice (single coil strat).

Thats what my friend wanted, instead he went and got the shop "test guitar" and forced the demo with that, all the while standing over us adjusting knobs like we can't do that. Bad Experience with the staff today (there is like 2 cool dudes at that place, the rest I don't know about)

Long story short, the amp seemed VERY vanilla. It didn't sound BAD in anyway, but it wasn't Exceptional IN ANY WAY either. I was just bored immediately with it. Non inspiring, and nothing interesting about it at all.

(also, I would have spent $2K on a new Nash guitar if that salesdouche didn't mouth off to me first thing)
Reza you need to speak up! I would have been rude back and told the kid to get lost. I never used to be like that but the last couple years I don't seem to have a filter any more. You should try it. If I wanted to buy that guitar I would have made it well known to that kid what my plans are and that he's not part of it.

Marc_Nitschke221B":jcfk3gob said:
steve_k":jcfk3gob said:
Clips are pretty lame. The amp needs to be played, not romanced.

true... the clips don't give you any usable idea on how the amp sounds and feels... You have to try it yourself.
Even with "better" demo videos, were the sound is supposedly not changed/ post-produced, I still find it hard to "replicate" that sound.
So bottom line, you have to play the amp for yourself, to really get a feel

Mesa told me that channel 3 was a hybrid circuit design of a Mark/Recto blend. That alone was enough for the price of entry for me.

I have one at my house now. Will gig it this weekend and report back but so far I have to disagree. To my ears the cleans are lone star (which is great), the gains are sort of mark/recto ish with some of the stiletto slice. Not as bass heavy as some other mesa's but still plenty of bass. Tons of gain. The tight switch makes a big difference. Amp is super quiet, reverb is great and has great features. Cab clone is OK but compared to my go to Aiken gold brick it is not as good. I think the amp sounds like a mix of all the best parts of some of mesa's recent amps. So far I am digging it. It really has an awesome range of tones. I feel like it smokes say a runt 50 in every way. Now compared to my 2016 Wizard MTL, it does not really hang with that, but that is $3K more so I would expect that.

Back