Got my 5153 lunchbox today, anyone else grab one yet?

Lampshade1973

Killer little amp, loud as shit, really rips, not as much gain as the 50 watt and the blue channel is ever so slightly louder than the red, not much, it may just be the gain but it seems a bit, like the 50 watt head the blue Is fuller with more ummhhh...dig it and I grabbed it for under 600 bucks from sweetwater..also having owned the 6505 mini there I no comparison outside of features but sonically the 5153 lunchbox takes it...

I played thru a friend's and had noticed that about the gain, too. Had to crank it higher than I run it on my 50 watt to get into the same territory on red. Have you messed with the power switch at all? Did you notice that it gets really quiet then builds back up in volume when going from full power to a quarter? We'd wondered if that was normal or nut.

I've got one too. I love it. Unlike the 50 and 100 watt head, I don't think the LBX is cabinet specific at ALL. It sounds great thru every cabinet I have. I think they did a good job capturing (as much as they could) his original Marshall tone.

Did you notice that it gets really quiet then builds back up in volume when going from full power to a quarter? We'd wondered if that was normal or nut.[/quote]
I haven't checked out the half power yet but im gonna jam on it now for a bit, I hope they work ok..

Lampshade1973":19yte9v9 said:
Did you notice that it gets really quiet then builds back up in volume when going from full power to a quarter? We'd wondered if that was normal or nut. I haven't checked out the half power yet but im gonna jam on it now for a bit, I hope they work ok..

Yeah, I've noticed it but mine doesn't get that quiet. Seems okay to me. Hook up a 4x12 to it and turn it up all the way. The amp rocks. I'm driving a Bogner cube with a Scumback BM75 65w 16 ohm speaker with it. Great little setup, extremely portable. I'm going to try a Celestion G12 EVH when I get it from GC. The EVH 4x12 sounds great with it, I think the single EVH 1x12 will sound great too.

I got one here in my stable and am not a huge fan of it.....It will probably be going back to GC...Then again i got it the same day i got my modded BFG jetcity 22h :LOL: :LOL: Not much out there in the price range that can beat the BFG....This amp totally kills :rock: :rock:

EVHpickdust":2k9ond4c said:
splawner":2k9ond4c said:
I got one here in my stable and am not a huge fan of it....

Why?
:LOL: :LOL: Not sure....I wanted to bond with the EVH line of amps but just can't....Just not my thing i guess....I feel the blue channel lacks the gain and does not have the cut i like and the red is just a bit over the top and lacks tone that i like....And i think the master volume is not the greatest...Needs to wicked up a bit to get it kicking... I have played the 50 watt and i feel it is a better for a few hundred more

splawner":4xqpvpfw said:
EVHpickdust":4xqpvpfw said:
splawner":4xqpvpfw said:
I got one here in my stable and am not a huge fan of it....

Why?
I have played the 50 watt and i feel it is a better for a few hundred more

Gotcha. Yes, it's hard to beat that 50w head. I've got all of them except the 1x12 combo, they all seem to have a different voice in one way or another. The blue and red channel on the LBX happens to be my favorite….for right now that is.

when I got the head it was in on position and I plugged in the power before hooking it up to a cab for like 3 seconds, so essentially the head was on for a few seconds with out being plugged into a cab, wont damage will it? Also does your guys heads have a slight underlying hum??

EVHpickdust":1rb4iugm said:
Lampshade1973":1rb4iugm said:
Did you notice that it gets really quiet then builds back up in volume when going from full power to a quarter? We'd wondered if that was normal or nut. I haven't checked out the half power yet but im gonna jam on it now for a bit, I hope they work ok..

Yeah, I've noticed it but mine doesn't get that quiet. Seems okay to me. Hook up a 4x12 to it and turn it up all the way. The amp rocks. I'm driving a Bogner cube with a Scumback BM75 65w 16 ohm speaker with it. Great little setup, extremely portable. I'm going to try a Celestion G12 EVH when I get it from GC. The EVH 4x12 sounds great with it, I think the single EVH 1x12 will sound great too.

It does work well with the evh 1x12. Obviously not as big as the 2x12, but it doesn't sound small. Tight, focused, angry. Great little rig.

Lampshade1973":311i91m2 said:
when I got the head it was in on position and I plugged in the power before hooking it up to a cab for like 3 seconds, so essentially the head was on for a few seconds with out being plugged into a cab, wont damage will it? Also does your guys heads have a slight underlying hum??

That should not cause it any damage.

Tried it again today and it will be getting packed up and sent back to MF.....Just can't bond with these amps :confused:

Been contemplating grabbing one of these an rack modding it to fit in a rack case. Anyone seen this done yet? I know a bunch made it happen with the 50w...

I am thinking about picking up one of these. I have owned the 50 watt head, does the LBX sound better at lower volumes? Or, would the combo with the power scaling be a better option?

Detroit ABA":39bvwuh2 said:
I am thinking about picking up one of these. I have owned the 50 watt head, does the LBX sound better at lower volumes? Or, would the combo with the power scaling be a better option?

I've got the 100w head, the 50w head, the 2x12 combo, and the LBX. IMHO the 2x12 combo is the worse sounding of the four, there is just TOO much gain in it. The LBX sounds 10 times better at low volumes than the 2x12 combo IMHO.

Back