Gotoh Floyd to replace this crappy Washburn Takeuchi

Matt300ZXT

I have 1 last import guitar left in my stable, a Korean SS80 (or maybe it's the SS40)...anywho, it's the Korean Steve Stevens model. The guitar plays great, I love the neck and the upper fret access, it's a great guitar. I've tried to sell it forever because it's the last import guitar I have and I want all US made stuff, however, no one has any interest and hasn't forever. So I guess if I'm stuck with it, I may as well make it all it can be. Anywho, it has this uber junk Takeuchi Floyd on it. It's total crap. I love the Gotoh Floyd on a custom build of mine and much prefer it to any of the Original Floyd I've ever played or have on any of my current guitars. What kind of luck have you retrofitters had with getting one like this to bolt in? I guess if I absolutely had to, I could fill in the old holes in and redrill new ones as my friend is a luthier and was actually teaching me to build guitars. And afterwards we could respray it in black, or whatever color I wanted as originality wouldn't be an issue anymore, plus, who cares about originality on 30 year old import guitars. From what I understand, the studs are bigger on the Gotohs than on Floyds so I'm sure I'd have to at least drill them out a little bigger. However, I thought I read that one stud on the bridge has a flat contact point to help out with stud spacing since people would retrofit them onto guitars with Original Floyd stud size/spacing?

I thought Takeuchi was made in Japan and high quality? Maybe its just seen better days.. They were rock solid on the older Ibanez RG's.

I have 1 last import guitar left in my stable, a Korean SS80 (or maybe it's the SS40)...anywho, it's the Korean Steve Stevens model. The guitar plays great, I love the neck and the upper fret access, it's a great guitar. I've tried to sell it forever because it's the last import guitar I have and I want all US made stuff, however, no one has any interest and hasn't forever. So I guess if I'm stuck with it, I may as well make it all it can be. Anywho, it has this uber junk Takeuchi Floyd on it. It's total crap. I love the Gotoh Floyd on a custom build of mine and much prefer it to any of the Original Floyd I've ever played or have on any of my current guitars. What kind of luck have you retrofitters had with getting one like this to bolt in? I guess if I absolutely had to, I could fill in the old holes in and redrill new ones as my friend is a luthier and was actually teaching me to build guitars. And afterwards we could respray it in black, or whatever color I wanted as originality wouldn't be an issue anymore, plus, who cares about originality on 30 year old import guitars. From what I understand, the studs are bigger on the Gotohs than on Floyds so I'm sure I'd have to at least drill them out a little bigger. However, I thought I read that one stud on the bridge has a flat contact point to help out with stud spacing since people would retrofit them onto guitars with Original Floyd stud size/spacing?

Man, you are really hung up on imports. I don't recall people having issues with the Takeuchi bridges. What seems to be the problem with it?

Back