ground current

sden

Hey, just moved to a new flat and there are no power sockets with ground, so just two wires, any problems running my Amp there?
Sebastian

I wouldn't use any electrical stuff without ground. Thats very very scary, just think that your oven gets a short - there's a lot of currents going thru your body then.

I'm dead (!) serious.

thanks, its really strange here, seems that theres almost no ground plug in denmark, at least in my flat only for the washing machine... :thumbsdown:

It's very common here in Finland to not have proper grounding in many houses and apartments. Any home not built in the last 10 years or so is likely to have grounded sockets only in the bathroom and kitchen. This is the case in my current apartment as well.

Really the biggest problem is that you get more noise. My Einstein is totally quiet in a grounded socket but hums a fair bit when it's not. While there is a risk of getting shocked, so far this hasn't happened to me.

Have an Electrician run a dedicated line with a groung just for your amp. He can put a grounding rod Outside and carry it to the electrical box then use a GFI protected circuit.

I think that should work out there.

Hey as for LaXu's post it will only happen once, then you won't have to worry about it because it might cause permanent injury or death. Be careful. Even Peter says never do this. I think he should know :yes:

sden":29h47x4h said:
once again a stupid question, is there a easy test for proper grounding?

Just check the socket:

800px-Schuko_plug_and_socket.png

These are the kind we have in Finland, your country may use different types. If it doesn't have those two metal tabs on the edges, it's ungrounded. The ungrounded type looks like this:

C_plug.jpg

I'll keep on using ungrounded sockets because I don't have much of a choice unless I want to put my Diezel combo in the kitchen sink (which sounds more hazardous to me!) :D. Hopefully I'll soon be able to move to another, more modern apartment that does have grounded sockets everywhere. Still, I don't fear for my safety with the ungrounded sockets. I've been around them all my life and don't know anyone who has gotten shocked because of them.

thanks. I found one socket with a ground sockets, but I m not sure if its reallly connected. Sounds strange, but the house is strange... I also can not look at the wire connects as the socket is not removeable.

These are all European Standarts. The one without ground
is used by units without metal chassis, like hair dryers.

You can buy simple testers to check the ground. They look
like screw drivers with a LED in it.

Back