Ground Zero Hellion 100 completed pics…

RedPlated

Finally finished it up with front faceplates and logo. Should start building the next one soon.

Updated photo:

6488Nvgl.jpg

6nONx0pl.jpg

RiMbnoel.jpg

bc8z49pl.jpg

vhFvNGql.jpg

y5muktzl.jpg

Last edited:
Ready to rock.\:D/ Get it?...cuz its sitting...oh well. The amp looks killer. But you totally need to take the back off and give us a money shot.
Haha yeah, I get it....

Sure I can take a back shot. I'll get one. I'm using a Metro 69' chassis with all external filter caps. I just like it that way. Super high-quality chassis. It looks a lot like a Marshall from the back, well, cause that's what it's based on. I drill my own extra holes in front (and back) and make cutouts for the rocker switches to make everything work.

One thing I have to decide on circuit-wise is the Aura switch. It's a 4-way rotary that controls the 1st stage plate voltage and overall compression of the amp. It's SUPER useful and really changes the dynamics of the amp noticeably. I won't use a toggle switch because of the amount of DC voltage present. The rotary has an isolated shaft and then a plastic knob on top of that, so it's a much safer approach. Plus I get 4 positions instead of 3. The only downside is that you will get some pops from the DC across the terminals when changing settings. For me, it's absolutely worth it to get the flexibility it affords. If you strum a chord and change it, you won't really hear anything. Or, it can just be set before going off standby. Or just deal with the sound, which isn't the end of the world for me. I'd hate to remove it as a feature, but some may not like the noise it can make. Other option is to use a 3 way toggle and make Aura a gain structure switch. The way it is now is much more useful in changing the character, though.

Last edited:
Haha yeah, I get it....

Sure I can take a back shot. I'll get one. I'm using a Metro 69' chassis with all external filter caps. I just like it that way. Super high-quality chassis. It looks a lot like a Marshall from the back, well, cause that's what it's based on. I drill my own extra holes in front (and back) and make cutouts for the rocker switches to make everything work.

One thing I have to decide on circuit-wise is the Aura switch. It's a 4-way rotary that controls the 1st stage plate voltage and overall compression of the amp. It's SUPER useful and really changes the dynamics of the amp noticeably. I won't use a toggle switch because of the amount of DC voltage present. The rotary has an isolated shaft and then a plastic knob on top of that, so it's a much safer approach. Plus I get 4 positions instead of 3. The only downside is that you will get some pops from the DC across the terminals when changing settings. For me, it's absolutely worth it to get the flexibility it affords. If you strum a chord and change it, you won't really hear anything. Or, it can just be set before going off standby. Or just deal with the sound, which isn't the end of the world for me. I'd hate to remove it as a feature, but some may not like the noise it can make. Other option is to use a 3 way toggle and make Aura a gain structure switch. The way it is now is much more useful in changing the character, though.

Is it a make-before-break rotary? If so, it shouldn't pop right? I presume you're switching out plate resistors here?

Looks incredible bro!👍
By the way,
I wouldn’t care at all if switching between modes caused a pop sound… It’s not something I’m going to do often probably, once I find my favourite setting.

Last edited:
Looks incredible bro!👍
By the way,
I wouldn’t care at all if switching between modes caused a pop sound… It’s not something I’m going to do often probably, once I find my favourite setting.
Right on. Thanks for the feedback. I feel the same way. It really helps the amp achieve a wide variety of tones. I don’t know of any other amp with that feature. Although there could be, I’ve just never seen it. After experimenting with different values, it’s too hard to just find one value and set and forget it.

Front and back look clean. 🤘😎🤘

I want to hear it in person.

When I plug in and hit the first power cord I want to visualize the trinity test site at ground Zero. 😎

Front and back look clean. 🤘😎🤘

I want to hear it in person.

When I plug in and hit the first power cord I want to visualize the trinity test site at ground Zero. 😎

This was the inspiration for the name. One of the first amps I modded sounded like it was going to explode (in a good way). Ground Zero is the site of an explosion so it seemed to fit.

The amp does have great fit and finish and came out looking as good as the various production amps I own.

One thing I think I’ll do is replace the red rocker with another black one. And install a flat LED indicator panel light between the standby and (-) FB knob. I think it’ll look even better.

Here’s a photoshop of the idea (without LED light). I may do it today.

TSvRkBdl.jpg

Last edited:
Back