GSP1101 4CM Users - Feedback Wanted

I know there has been plenty of discussion on the GSP1101 along with its features and qualities (good and bad) but I want to hear from those of you that currently use it or have used it in the 4CM for a period of time. I am considering trying one with a Marshall 50-watt MKII head (was modded with FX loop added). From what I have read it doesn't sound like the quality of the effects and amp models will be much of an issue but I'm looking for feedback specifically in terms of functionality in the 4CM.

Does it work well, as it is said to do, in this configuration?
Any trouble getting the appropriate output levels set?
Is it reliable?

Any other general comments with the 4CM in mind would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

As long as the added/modded loop in Marshall is ok, you'll be fine. It works like a charm, just use the setup wizard to select the correct configuration and adjust the push button on the back for the correct loop-level, thats all. Only if the loop of the amp has weird levels you need to go deep into editing the 1101's loop level.
If the amp isn't super high gain you won't even need the internal noise gate.

My experience with the unit is not so great. I still use it and enjoy it, but had to find some workaround for its issues.

1. When used in 4CM the unit has ground loop noise. It happened with all my amps/setups. It's a problem with the unit, not with other stuff. This is solved by placing a hum eliminater/transformer isolation box between its send output and amp input.
2. The "pre" section (the one that has the wah, whammy, drive, etc effects) is noisy and sucks tone. Obviously the noise is noticeable more when this section feeds a high gain amp. I had to use an external looper to switch this section in and out of the signal chain, and use it only when the respective effects are active.
3. The post section sucks tone. Not a deal breaker, but it's there. I ended up using it in the paralel loop, with kill dry settings for all the effects. This way it works very nice.

There you go, the unit has nice effects, it's very user friendly, but you have to either accept the issues above, or accept that you will have to find workarounds, as I did. At the moment I am very satisfied with my setup, but it took some time to get here.
I have a demo of it here, with a Diezel Einstein, check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U-WPF92UVg

dass101":222ln8ik said:
My experience with the unit is not so great. I still use it and enjoy it, but had to find some workaround for its issues.

1. When used in 4CM the unit has ground loop noise. It happened with all my amps/setups. It's a problem with the unit, not with other stuff. This is solved by placing a hum eliminater/transformer isolation box between its send output and amp input.
2. The "pre" section (the one that has the wah, whammy, drive, etc effects) is noisy and sucks tone. Obviously the noise is noticeable more when this section feeds a high gain amp. I had to use an external looper to switch this section in and out of the signal chain, and use it only when the respective effects are active.
3. The post section sucks tone. Not a deal breaker, but it's there. I ended up using it in the paralel loop, with kill dry settings for all the effects. This way it works very nice.

There you go, the unit has nice effects, it's very user friendly, but you have to either accept the issues above, or accept that you will have to find workarounds, as I did. At the moment I am very satisfied with my setup, but it took some time to get here.
I have a demo of it here, with a Diezel Einstein, check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U-WPF92UVg

ad 1) thats not quite correct. A ground loop can be caused if two units share the same ground while having differential amounts of currents. Can happen always, no matter which unit . . . except there's an isolation transfomer (think DI box) included, few units have that.
No problems with multiple heads/preamps here - racked it happens more often because the chassis/rack is sharing the ground.

I had much bigger problems with the loop-levelling and hum when using my AxeFX with heads and preamps btw.

That's correct, most units of this type are sensitive to ground loops. I experienced this with two different heads (Koch and Diezel) and a rack setup with a Triaxis and power amp. From what I heard the G System users complain about the same thing.
What really bugs me is the noise in the "pre" section. It's there, it's like a hiss, and I suspect it's related to some noisy AD/DA convertors. When you feed a clean to medium gain amp it's not very annoing, but with a high gain amp it is, and there is no way you can get rid of it.

The problem of these kind of units is levelling - of the amp's input. Normally (using a guitar) the amp expects low signal/high impedance - but then with 4CM he gets a stripped down "low impedance-high-level" signal - and this causes, esp. in very high gain situations, noise. As I've said, the results with the 1101 were much better than with the AxeFX I had - and just to check it again (normally I'm using it with one of my preamps to record them) I hooked it up again with two of my amps and there were no big problems. One has to adjust (using the wizard 5/7 setting) the type of amp (brit tube stack, us tube combo, . . ..) the model which fits the best.

I have never used any of the internal "pedal fx" this way though . . . just verbs, delays and the harmonizer. And I'm on the latest firmware.

Thanx for the replies fellas! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I'm still not sure if I'm going to go this route as I'm currently considering an A/B setup (using a Radial Headbone TS) with my Marshall (A) and the 11R rig (B) for added flexibility. I won't be adding any more gear this way and get to use the stuff I already have.

Back