Guitar Cabinets Direct

Beyond Black

Who’s got one? How are they? I’m considering replacing my Splawn 4x12 Straight with one. It sounds really hard, stiff, mid forward, and light on the lows. Speakers are Mesa V30’s down low, and G12-65’s up top.…My Mesa Traditional Straight, which I love, sounds warmer, darker, fatter, and hits hard down low. It’s got Mesa V30’s down low, and T75’s up top. I’m gonna try some batting in the Splawn to see if that helps. How are the GCD cabs?

I don't have any of their cabs but I do have 7 of their headshells and build quality is top notch and interacting with KC has been great. They will literally build just about anything you want.

I have had several Splawn 4x12s and I know what you mean. For me regular greenbacks have sounded best in them. They seem to fill out the lower mids in a good way. And that cab keeps the greenbacks tight in the lows. I have tried other speakers in them many , many times and have never been as happy. I went through it again recently.

I love my cab. Took about 3 weeks. Not much communication once order is place confirming order, but got it in reasonable time nonetheless. I really like my cab a lot.

I have had several Splawn 4x12s and I know what you mean. For me regular greenbacks have sounded best in them. They seem to fill out the lower mids in a good way. And that cab keeps the greenbacks tight in the lows. I have tried other speakers in them many , many times and have never been as happy. I went through it again recently.
You just nailed it! I used to have this cab loaded with Greenbacks for Marshall type amps and I loved it. Now I’m playing some old Mesas and a Naylor through it with the speakers I mentioned, and its not nearly as good. There’s no give, the lows are weak, and mids overbearing. I guess I’ll need to try something else for these amps.

Does Splawn make their own cabs? Since they're all here in NC I wouldn't be surprised if Splawn got their cabs from either GCD or Mojo.

Spoke to KC this morning about ordering one of their Straight 212 cabinets. Great guy to talk to, very friendly. I had to hold off cause they're figuring out shipping costs/rates for shipping to Canada with UPS.

He said he'll let me know when he's got it all figured out and ready to ship at a better rate.

Spoke to KC this morning about ordering one of their Straight 212 cabinets. Great guy to talk to, very friendly. I had to hold off cause they're figuring out shipping costs/rates for shipping to Canada with UPS.

He said he'll let me know when he's got it all figured out and ready to ship at a better rate.
Cool! How long before he can ship?

To me, it’s a good balance. Not as stout and stiff as a mesa, more in the Marshal style. I like it better than the Mojo cab I had. There’s nothing I dislike about it.
My Splawn cab is much more stout and stiff then my Mesa Traditional. My Mesa actually has some nice give, and a very thick, chunky tone. Which Mesa cab are you comparing it too?

Does Splawn make their own cabs? Since they're all here in NC I wouldn't be surprised if Splawn got their cabs from either GCD or Mojo.
Yeah Splawn is in my hometown of Dallas NC which is close to Charlotte those other places are out east. Scott definitely builds those in house(he used to have a store front that you could buy some stuff like pedals and strings.) You could get a glimpse of the workshop from the front "pro shop"

I hate you guys. I have a 412 straight cab spec'd out with Blackened Tuna tolex and black piping to match my Revv Generator sitting in my cart....calling to me....

Attachments

• 190921357_10125524664060504_570198377121789678_n.jpg
    190921357_10125524664060504_570198377121789678_n.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 148
Back