Guthrie Trapp

SpiderWars

A few of us have come to know Tom Bukovac fairly recently. Here's another Nashville session guy that I recently found. What an awesome player. There are lots of very skilled/proficient players that I don't find that 'interesting' to listen to but I find Trapp's playing to be very interesting (same with Buk). And I think this is GREAT tone.

Great player and a really nice guy. He's really more of a true country/blues player than Bukovac, who is a rock'n roll player at heart. Unfortunately you won't get much of a response from this forum. Most won't listen to anything outside of metal.

Ed

Great player and a really nice guy. He's really more of a true country/blues player than Bukovac, who is a rock'n roll player at heart. Unfortunately you won't get much of a response from this forum. Most won't listen to anything outside of metal.

Ed
So true. Boring.

Ed
Totally not true. I'm an avid fan of the music genre Death Polka.

If it's good guitar I'm usually in. Django Reinhardt/Wes Montgomery/Roy Clark/etc. I listen to way more metal/shred than those guys but I just like good guitar. I mean...I'll suffer thru LaBrie just to hear Petrucci. That should say something. :LOL:

That's what music has succumb to, pure garbage IMO

Everybody has different tastes and opinions. I didn't listen to very much of that clip, but those guys are good players. That much I can tell.

This kind of goes back to some conversation some friends and I were recently having. Just out of curiosity, what determines a good song or a good player to you? What are your musical preferences?

To me I like very little music made in the last 20 years. I'm 52 years old and started playing guitar at age 8, and piano and organ at age 6. My brother is a drummer, my sister a violinist, and my other sister is a piano/keyboard player. Needless to say, even though we had no money, there was always music around in our house. Therefore, It something that stirs up a lot of emotions and memories to me. My early memories of music was learning Beatles and Elvis songs while my parents were playing old Creedance records. Probably much different influences than a 20 year old kid today, don't you think. I was a teenager in the 80's playing in horrible thrash bands. Slayer was great in 1986. Can I stand to listen to them now? Not really. People change with time. I'm a happily married man with a family and retirement in the horizon. I'm not an angry teenager anymore. Music strikes a different emotion in me now.

Like what you like. I think the seven string/detuned crap ruined metal. Why the hell do you want to make your guitar sound like a bass and play one finger power chords in dropped tuning? I find it sad that a lot of players today don't even have the desire or even skills to play a simple Chuck Berry song. It's all about chugging on a power chord. That's just me though. Everybody is different.

Enough on the subject. I'm starting to ramble

Ed

Beautiful tones, clean through edge-of-breakup to crunch, and great dynamic control. :rock:

Great playing too. Tough to fault! :dunno:

That was great :thumbsup:
Thanks for posting that, as I had never heard of these guys.
Gotta say though, as good as the guitar and bass player are, that fukking drummer just kills it !!! :rock:

Nashville and country used to be cool , a long time ago.

I agree to that in many ways. That doesn't take away from the fact that there are some great players there. It's the business side that screwed things up.

Country music for the most part, is just pop music with a southern accent. Nashville is just a music factory. Very few artists actually write their own songs all on their own. The publishing companies on Music Row have songwriters on staff. There are hundreds of studios in Nashville. Day in and day out it's musicians in there cutting songs for the songwriters to sell to the big artists, all in the name of the mighty dollar. That is how Chris Stapleton and Brad Paisley got started. They were staff songwriters.

A lot of the bigger studio players like Bukovac, Jerry McPhearson, and Kenny Greenburg are not really true country players. They were rock 'n roll players who came to Nashville looking for work. You can ask those guys, they will tell you they don't like a lot of the stuff they play on, but a man's gotta make a living.

Ed

That's what music has succumb to, pure garbage IMO
I sincerely hope you are referring to the comment above your's about " suffering thru LaBrie just to hear Petrucci"
If you are referring to the vid posted by the OP.........
Garbage?
You can't be serious?
:doh::doh::doh:

Back