Hagen vs. Herbert Compare & Contrast - thanks for the advice

HRC51

:doh:

Hi, I'm looking for some first hand advice from the experts.

I have a Herbert Mk1 that I adore. Papa is a genius!

I got the attacks of MUST HAVE HAGEN this weekend and put the Herbert up for sale. Now I am having second thoughts.

I play metal mostly, but appreciate a great clean channel as well. I use 6-strings with standard tuning or down one whole step. Herbert is mostly on channel 3, mid cut ON, gain on 1:00, EQ at 12:00, Presence at 2:00, and Deep at 12:00.

As much as I appreciate channels 3/4 on the VH4, I prefer my Herbert.

So: Hagen vs. Herbert. It is not a case of one being better, but how are they different. The Hagen appeals because it is the latest from the master: Mr. Diezel. Can the Hagen do the brutal modern high gain of the Herbert, and would I regret giving up my beloved Herbert?

Thanks, Adam

Try a Hagen First. It sounds like it gives fantastic "modern" metal tones...But NEVER sell an amp you already love to trade into an amp that you have yet to try.

Thanks for the offer Jens. Lots of trips to CA for me, but none lately.

angelspade: I like your thinking.

I ordered a Hagen, and until I sell the Herbert, I'll have both to compare myself.

;)

Try them all - you are the judge and use your ears, not other folks poop shoot. All Diezel guitar amplifiers are unique and insanely well thought out and built.

angelspade":hwuknyzl said:
Try a Hagen First. It sounds like it gives fantastic "modern" metal tones...But NEVER sell an amp you already love to trade into an amp that you have yet to try.
Yah, what angelspade said. Hagen is for modern metal tones, nothing much more there...
give-me-a-break.gif
:checkthisout:

angelspade":2awpt9mv said:

I would have to agree with that. :yes:

DIEZEL to DIEZEL would be accepted tho. :thumbsup:

OK, so I have both and have been absolutely in love with my Hagen since I opened the box. Haven't been playing anything else! Herbert had duties before and even the guys in the band were saying things like, "you sound awesome" (nothing to do with my playing) and "I really like the new amp."

That said, I am not thinking of selling Herbert at this point. I have to admit I am having a little bit of a hard time adapting all my tones without the mid-cut option, although the Hagen does cover a LOT of ground. Hagen is very versitile, lot's of options, 4 channels...love the midi capabilities, like Herbert, and it has three loop possibilities as well, serial, parallel w/ volume, switchable.

I am digging the 4 channels...it's like the best of VH4 and Herbert put together. Also, I am running the Hagen through two Diezel 4X12's, one FL German built loaded with K100's and one RL loaded with V30's. The balance is sweet!! I actually think any amp would sound better through these cabs :)

That's what I can offer right now, hope it helps and I am sure you will enjoy your Hagen when it arrives!

Thank you, that was helpful. I know all of the Diezel amps are great, I was just looking for some tonal comparissons. I'm really looking forward to powering up the Hagen when it gets here! :yes:

GtarLover":2yu1ixqy said:
OK, so I have both and have been absolutely in love with my Hagen since I opened the box. Haven't been playing anything else! Herbert had duties before and even the guys in the band were saying things like, "you sound awesome" (nothing to do with my playing) and "I really like the new amp."

That said, I am not thinking of selling Herbert at this point. I have to admit I am having a little bit of a hard time adapting all my tones without the mid-cut option, although the Hagen does cover a LOT of ground. Hagen is very versitile, lot's of options, 4 channels...love the midi capabilities, like Herbert, and it has three loop possibilities as well, serial, parallel w/ volume, switchable.

I am digging the 4 channels...it's like the best of VH4 and Herbert put together. Also, I am running the Hagen through two Diezel 4X12's, one FL German built loaded with K100's and one RL loaded with V30's. The balance is sweet!! I actually think any amp would sound better through these cabs :)

That's what I can offer right now, hope it helps and I am sure you will enjoy your Hagen when it arrives!

So, could you try to a tonal description? How do the channels compare...
Clean to Clean, Ch 2 - to Ch 2 of Hagen.

Where are the advantages of having a Hagen when having a Herbert or vice versa.
I know, it is a matter of taste. But in this case - when playing metal.

I have not played on the Hagen, but I think there is a lot of hype with this amp since it's brand new. Look at the specs, the Herbert is slightly more loaded, combined with the larger power section of the Herbert, metal is going to most likely be the Herbert's game, over the Hagen.

I just got a Hagen eariler this week.. I previously had a Herbert for about a year and a half.
I was able to finally really crank the amp for a couple of hours this morning and all I can say is WOW!!
With the channel volumes all at about 12:00 the amp really starts to breathe fire with the master at 11:00.
Like Reza has said, channel 2 is sick, a lot of great tones there.. I put a bb preamp in front just for giggles and you can get almost any tone out of channel 2.
The other surprise for me was channel 4 with the gain at about 10-11:00, great modern metal tones with awesome clarity.
The third channel is of course bad ass.

Peter has created another masterpiece..
Anyone who is on the fence about purchasing one of these, get off your ass and do it!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

"Yes , you definitely need to be commended! :rock:"

Thanks Rezamatix. I miss the Herbert already, especially as I wait for my Hagen to arrive. I am positive I will be all smiles when I get to play it and hear all the tones available.

I can't imagine not having a Diezel! It's been stated here before, but Diezel's make the sound in my head come true.

HRC51":3esstx29 said:
"Yes , you definitely need to be commended! :rock:"

Thanks Rezamatix. I miss the Herbert already, especially as I wait for my Hagen to arrive. I am positive I will be all smiles when I get to play it and hear all the tones available.

I can't imagine not having a Diezel! It's been stated here before, but Diezel's make the sound in my head come true.

I've played both. Hagen is amazing, but the Herbert stayed as I like the crushing, brutal low end and mid-switch. If I wanted the best "open" sounding amp (with a hint of Marshall, a bit like the VH4), I'd go for the Hagen.

Any Diezel just slays the competition.

-C

Diezel US Support":acuznrsr said:
If you live in Southern CA or are passing through soon, you can come by and try the Hagen at my shop.

Jens Kruse

I'm in Southern CA and would love to try the Hagen. I'm looking to add a second amp to my collection, something completely different from my Rockerverb. I've had my eye on the Herbert for quite some time, just have yet to try one in person Where's your shop?

Back