Hairy Brown Eye compared/combined with EG5

Hairy Brown Eye compared/combined with Egnater EG5.

Here are three chugga clips back-to-back that show David Friedman’s HBE (in an Egnater module), then the same stuff played with the Egnater EG5, then both combined and panned for a nice combo. VHT 2/502 going to two separate cabs – a Port City with Jensen Blackbirds and a 1x12 with Scumback 100 watter. I keep avoiding finishing this tune from the next HWM album cause I just couldn’t get the guitar tone right. Now, I got what I wanted.

download: https://www.soundclick.com/util/download ... id=7614565

Wow... HBE kinda makes the EG5 sound, dare I say, 'polite'. Definitely a little more 'excitement' in the midrange coming out of the HBE.

Great tone, John! As always.

If anybody wants their very own HBE with no waiting, I have a brand new one from Dave in the shipping box that's never been opened or played ... it cost $400 for the new Egnater module and $150 for the mod.

I may be putting my M4 and its other four modules (T/D, Vox, SL2, BMAN) up for sale shortly, so I haven't gotten in to the HBE yet.

Killer tone from both modules for sure.

HBE has more midrange grind, EG5 has a bit more teeth on top, to my ears.

the EG5 sounds like the actual volume was a bit lower though, in my speakers.

Great clips! I could really tell the difference.

I liked them both for different reasons. The EG5 sounded smoother, where the HBE
was way raunchier in the mids. Both were satisfying.

I agree with the Alice in Chains vibe on the HBE (and the riff in general).

That's some great tone, man!

vjd3":nus05004 said:
Great tone, John! As always.

If anybody wants their very own HBE with no waiting, I have a brand new one from Dave in the shipping box that's never been opened or played ... it cost $400 for the new Egnater module and $150 for the mod.

I may be putting my M4 and its other four modules (T/D, Vox, SL2, BMAN) up for sale shortly, so I haven't gotten in to the HBE yet.

PM'd :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for listening to my little experiment. I haven't EQ's anything more than a dB here or there to get it to just natural - pretty much as it does in the amp room to my ears. I think the EG5 still needs a little EQ in the mids. I do think they combine well and will probably record it like this for the album.

John, does the AxeFX get into the HBE territory at all?

I just got an Ultra, and your Cornford patch is terrific. I hope you'll be able to share more of your patches when the new exchange site comes in, you are a master at dialing things up.

vjd3":3cpimd2n said:
John, does the AxeFX get into the HBE territory at all?

I just got an Ultra, and your Cornford patch is terrific. I hope you'll be able to share more of your patches when the new exchange site comes in, you are a master at dialing things up.

Thanks, but I don't know. Just have to tweak with it. It'll get close.

Remastered this thing. I noticed there was a little clipping on the clip that wasn't hip. Also took off a tiny bit of lows and low mids on the master fader so it all sounds clearer and more aggressive to me know.

;) This weekend, I may get around to tracking it over the drum tracks. Hopefully that will pull the whole tune into shape. Still trying to track down a particular vocalist for it, then it's a wrap.

John Czajkowski":33x5fhfr said:
dfrattaroli":33x5fhfr said:
I liked both mods. What were your settings on the EG5?

Thanks, that EG5 A chan. gain 2 o'clock, bass 12, middle, 1.5, trebel 3, boosts: bright 1, bass 2.

I like both as well. But both clips combined sound great!
What were your settings on the HBE?
Can't wait to see how this song turns out.

The HBE sounds really great. The EG5 is nice as well. And the combo sounds killer!!! :rock:

How much gain does the HBE have compared to the EG5? Are the settings pretty similar on the two modules?

Thanks guys. David gave me a great idea yesterday - to hit the EG5 with my Tele for a track on the full mix. I would have never probably tried this, but it makes the guitar mix huge and edgy.

Back