Hammett On Beato

Lots of criticism is levied at guitarists who don't push the envelope as they get older and it could be due to a huge variety of reasons including other things going on in their lives or pain of some kind etc...

I used to play all day every day 30 + years ago and then didn't touch a guitar for the next 17 years because other things just took over . I think the older players that haven't slowed down and are relentless in learning more are an extreme minority definitely not the norm .

Props to them for having that desire but for players who don't, thanks for the memories .

That's the thing, the hunger to get better is lost. I'd admire him if he still at least tried and wanted that. Kinda like how Roger Federer and Nadal still wanted it bad to win and compete even though they couldn't maintain their level in their late 30's, but I admired them for trying and a lot of classical musicians seemed to maintain that drive until the day they died
Bucky Pizzarelli ! Now that he’s dud was 80 shredding . His son rules too !

Lots of criticism is levied at guitarists who don't push the envelope as they get older and it could be due to a huge variety of reasons including other things going on in their lives or pain of some kind etc...

I used to play all day every day 30 + years ago and then didn't touch a guitar for the next 17 years because other things just took over . I think the older players that haven't slowed down and are relentless in learning more are an extreme minority definitely not the norm .

Props to them for having that desire but for players who don't, thanks for the memories .
Except this guys plays shows year round

Hell, I lost my desire to woodshed over 20 years ago and I haven’t sold ANY albums. I really don’t believe I’d have any incentive to do it even if I sold millions, it fueled me in my teens but once I hit 19 or 20 I couldn’t give a fuck about technical playing or getting faster or any of that shit anymore. And leading up to my divorce a couple years ago, I thought all I was going to do after was sit in my studio and write/record, but I’ve barely had the desire to do that, it’s been very fleeting. Ya never really know what direction life will take and the things that once held the utmost importance move to the back burner.

Seems all those guys say one thing consistently, they all just love playing live. That’s their favorite part of being in Metallica these days and they can do that just fine. I also thought it was a bit of insight in how they perceive themselves when Beato asked him to comment on the progressive nature of some of their songs, he said (paraphrasing) ”That’s not because of our influences, that was just us experimenting at the bounds of our abilities” I think the overall perception for years has been “Those guys were so amazing they pulled MoP and AJFA out of their asses!” when in actuality that was them laboring over the music and pushing themselves, which they’ve all said they had zero interest in doing after TBA.

Kirk frustrates me . As a huge fan he let me down . I feel after desth magnetic he just stopped trying . 86 -92 he was actually doing really cool shit .
I think the St. Anger experience didn't help either. In Some Kind Of Monster he correctly pointed out that not having solos on the album would date it but James and Lars were going through an identity crisis thanks to the popularity of Nu-Metal at the time so Kirk was relegated to the role of bystander. The irony of it all was the following year Slipknot released an album full of solos.

I was getting nervous watching him hold Greeny, at one point the headstock was a few inches from the ground!

Overall it was a cool interview, I give him props for taking that much time to chat with Rick and talk shop. He lost me a few times and started rambling but he’s still very passionate which was awesome to see and the fractal part was insightful. I will say the talk of improving solos was lame - people want to hear those note for note and we all know that’s where a lot of the Kirk bashing comes from.

Kirk mails it in now but you can't take anything away from his enthusiasm and his work up to the Black Album, He wrote some killer parts that are now iconic. I can't imagine a lot of those songs without him playing. Also seems like a good human being and a geat guy to have a beer with. I liked the interview.

But does he have shit vibrato? YES. Does he mail it in? Yup. Doesn't take anything away from his legacy though.

I think the St. Anger experience didn't help either. In Some Kind Of Monster he correctly pointed out that not having solos on the album would date it but James and Lars were going through an identity crisis thanks to the popularity of Nu-Metal at the time so Kirk was relegated to the role of bystander. The irony of it all was the following year Slipknot released an album full of solos.
Ya it probably kept him lazy and was the start of it all .

Well this should surely be a thread full of nice things being said. :LOL:

He starts talking early gear pretty quick, by 15 minutes in he was already talking about the IIC+, but before that he gets into James’ Marshall that got stolen. I’ve seen people speculate over whether or not that was actually modded, but this is the first time I’ve heard someone from Metallica say it wasn’t a Jose mod.

Ohhhhh boy, I just got the 20 minute mark. He deserves the razzing for that. “No one’s ever done that before!” :ROFLMAO:

thats awesome!
thanks for posting. Kirk always seems like a good dude. Like Jeff Spicoly!! lol

Kirk was involved in writing & recording out epic albums in '83, '84, '86, '88 and '91.

Joe Montana won superbowls in '82, '85, '89 and '90.

As Joe gets older, do you expect him to still perform at at world-class level like he did in his prime? Are you mad and let down when he doesn't?

Or, are you happy that Kirk is still writing & touring when Joe hasn't played a game in decades?
Joe Montana stopped playing due to the physical breakdown of his body and natural age progression.

Kirk still has physical abilities, yet has been phoning it in for decades.

He lost me when he said "and then the Boogie had what... an 8 band, 4 band eq or something like that" regarding their IIC+ amps. GTFO. You that ignorant? Hetfield certainly isn't.
Kirk has engineers to dial in his amp and gear, not surprised he forgets; he just shows up to play.

That’s makes no sense . I’m getting up there and improve every year. I search out the hardest things I can find . Steve Vai was s older and he has learned all kinds of new shit to add to his playing ,kirk just lost the drive to get better . He’s just complacent where he at now with his playing

Steve Vai wrote an entire song on one hand when his picking shoulder had surgery. It's unfair to put Kirk in the same sentence as Vai when Kirk can't even make it through a single sentence let alone riff without stuttering. Kirk did some cool stuff back in the day, but is just a big let down nowadays.

Back