Have I have been scammed by a member or am I just clutching my pearls too tightly?

gybe!

I don`t want to post this but at this point the dude is actively ignoring me and I am without my item, money, or tracking number so I am thinking I have been scammed. I have been lucky I guess...I have been buying, selling, and trading gear online since 1996 (in the olden pre paypal days of sending things COD!) and through hundreds of transactions have never been scammed or really even had an overwhelmingly negative experience. Maybe I should be more shocked at my long run of luck, I don`t know?

I am holding some shred of hope that this is somehow just a misunderstanding and it gets resolved, but given how I have been ghosted it certainly doesn`t feel that way.
We started discussing an item on 8/20
As I haven`t actually used it in some time I do some testing to make certain everything is good to go. I have some difficulties and concerns along the way that I am fully transparent on and then realize that it is 100% user inflicted as I wasn`t following the instruction manual. I explain this and have verified item is in perfect working order once I stopped being an idiot.
He asked for an additional discount on an already decent price, I agreed as forum and ease, he agrees to buy on 8/22
Paypal sent on 8/23....The payment sent did not cover fees...My fault here, I shouldn't have assumed even though I didn`t say the agreed to price included said fees. Lesson learned although now I'm pretty far in the hole, not going to stress about it.
Item ships with tracking on 8/25
Item arrives 8/31, he indicates that a knob had apparently come off in shipping and is interested in a return...
I ask for pictures as I am quite surprised by this, but say sure go ahead and return it. Weird shit happens in shipping sometimes although I admittedly can`t see how this happened. He says he doesn`t actually want to return it, no pictures, nothing... Ok, kind of weird, but wanting to return an $800 item over a $2 knob also seemed kind of weird. Whatever.
9/1, Friday afternoon...He has an issue using the item as he didn`t follow the instruction manual. He opens a paypal case for "item not as described" requesting a refund and return. My account basically on lockdown...No heads up here, I didn`t even know until I caught all of the activity in my email. Not how I would have handled it, but is what it is. I approve his return, he gets an immediate refund. He then admits it was all user error. Great, but the return had already been processed. No further response from him at this stage...

Since then, he has completely ghosted. Friday was the start of a three day weekend for most here in the States, I waited until Wednesday (9/6) evening to check in on a tracking number. No response despite him being on the forum. I see he still hasn`t responded on Friday, I ping again. No response, again despite browsing. Ask again laying out that at this point the complete lack of communication and the fact you have had my item and the cash for a week is making it look like I have been scammed. He continues to log in and browse (as of 10:23AM this morning), still without any communication or acknowledgement. Maybe it magically shows up without any tracking, but I think most would have at least acknowledged and communicated during this time? Again, perhaps I just expect too much?

So, what say you?

Last edited:
🫤. I am a firm believer of calling people out when some is off and this.. seems off…. Sadly a few skunks get in the fence and knowing where they are helps the rest of the community. You might be screwed; maybe not. Time tells. I don’t know anything about what has happened so I can’t speak here on right or wrong but if you think something is wrong, the forum can sometimes help. Just remember, there might be another side to this that no one knows and stones get thrown back at you.

🫤. I am a firm believer of calling people out when some is off and this.. seems off…. Sadly a few skunks get in the fence and knowing where they are helps the rest of the community. You might be screwed; maybe not. Time tells. I don’t know anything about what has happened so I can’t speak here on right or wrong but if you think something is wrong, the forum can sometimes help. Just remember, there might be another side to this that no one knows and stones get thrown back at you.
Yep, 100%. That is why I am not naming him outright. I have made multiple attempts to contact and given plenty of time and opportunity for response while being pretty apparently ignored.

I agree.

The only way to pressure this member into contacting you is by outing them.
Then, at the very least they can explain the situation.

Err sorry got that backwards. I still think you can deal with it through your shipper.

edit: ....original shipper for potential damage, PayPal for refunding your money without you having received the return.

I got a sick feeling just reading this as it reminded me of my own fraud incident with paypal... I won't use them ever again and have not since 2017 because of their "no questions asked" buyer return leaving the seller with no recourse. The only saving grace for me is I emptied my account before they could hold it. back then they did not ask for a ss number so the negative balance would never affect my credit.. the thief got away with my amp and the 1600 dollars! I hope you are made whole

@lespaul6 that's crazy, what did they tell you when you complained?
After an appeal they told me that once they sided with the buyer they would not change their decision. Its a long story to tell but I made a post here a few years ago when the guy was trying to sell the amp on ebay. I hope the OP can get his item back, but I'm pessimistic

Reactions: rsm
I don`t want to post this but at this point the dude is actively ignoring me and I am without my item, money, or tracking number so I am thinking I have been scammed. I have been lucky I guess...I have been buying, selling, and trading gear online since 1996 (in the olden pre paypal days of sending things COD!) and through hundreds of transactions have never been scammed or really even had an overwhelmingly negative experience. Maybe I should be more shocked at my long run of luck, I don`t know?

I am holding some shred of hope that this is somehow just a misunderstanding and it gets resolved, but given how I have been ghosted it certainly doesn`t feel that way.
We started discussing an item on 8/20
As I haven`t actually used it in some time I do some testing to make certain everything is good to go. I have some difficulties and concerns along the way that I am fully transparent on and then realize that it is 100% user inflicted as I wasn`t following the instruction manual. I explain this and have verified item is in perfect working order once I stopped being an idiot.
He asked for an additional discount on an already decent price, I agreed as forum and ease, he agrees to buy on 8/22
Paypal sent on 8/23....The payment sent did not cover fees...My fault here, I shouldn't have assumed even though I didn`t say the agreed to price included said fees. Lesson learned although now I'm pretty far in the hole, not going to stress about it.
Item ships with tracking on 8/25
Item arrives 8/31, he indicates that a knob had apparently come off in shipping and is interested in a return...
I ask for pictures as I am quite surprised by this, but say sure go ahead and return it. Weird shit happens in shipping sometimes although I admittedly can`t see how this happened. He says he doesn`t actually want to return it, no pictures, nothing... Ok, kind of weird, but wanting to return an $800 item over a $2 knob also seemed kind of weird. Whatever.
9/1, Friday afternoon...He has an issue using the item as he didn`t follow the instruction manual. He opens a paypal case for "item not as described" requesting a refund and return. My account basically on lockdown...No heads up here, I didn`t even know until I caught all of the activity in my email. Not how I would have handled it, but is what it is. I approve his return, he gets an immediate refund. He then admits it was all user error. Great, but the return had already been processed. No further response from him at this stage...

Since then, he has completely ghosted. Friday was the start of a three day weekend for most here in the States, I waited until Wednesday (9/6) evening to check in on a tracking number. No response despite him being on the forum. I see he still hasn`t responded on Friday, I ping again. No response, again despite browsing. Ask again laying out that at this point the complete lack of communication and the fact you have had my item and the cash for a week is making it look like I have been scammed. He continues to log in and browse (as of 10:23AM this morning), still without any communication or acknowledgement. Maybe it magically shows up without any tracking, but I think most would have at least acknowledged and communicated during this time? Again, perhaps I just expect too much?

So, what say you?
I would hunt his ass down and take him out if I were you . That's some major bullshit right there .

I had a guy buy an amp from me years ago. It arrived to him early, and he immediately claimed that it must have gotten "shaken up" in shipping and sounded bad. He claimed that he "still wanted the amp, but will just need $300-400 back, to get everything fixed", via his local amp tech.

I asked him what was wrong with it (since he immediately knew how much it would cost to repair), and he remained extremely vague, just commenting again that it must have gotten jarred during shipping, but would never say what was actually wrong, or how it sounded "bad".

It was a modified amp, and I had a VERY STRONG FEELING that he was lying and merely trying to sweeten his deal, by essentially asking for money back. I stated that I would send him the $85 return shipping fee, to tape the box up and send it back (I even offered to have UPS or Fed Ex pick it up from him). I advised that I was on good terms with the person that modified it, and that I did not trust ANYONE except the person that modified it, to repair the amp (the values and components of everything that was changed inside, were obscured, to avoid copying.....).

I was firm about it, and refused to allow him to "take it elsewhere" for a clueless tech to poke around inside of it........so I was offering an absolute 100% refund with the amp sent back on MY dime, or no money back and take your chances on getting it repaired. I even stated that I would get it repaired, and offer him first refusal when I got the amp fixed, so he could buy it back, if he chose to....

Magically........when he realized that he had absolutely no justification to ask for a partial refund, and I was being more than generous (if it truly was damaged), the amp fixed itself within 2 hours.

I hate scammers.

He had probably done this with everything that he bought it the past, and the sellers would just send him partial refunds to avoid any bad blood.

About 8 years afterward, he had obviously forgotten about it, but I HAD NOT, and vowed to never deal with him again. He responded about another item I was selling, using a different first name, but the same PayPal address.........I took pride in telling him that he could completely fuck off.

Good luck. You might say I know a thing or two about calling people out. Anyway, this dubious member needs to be outed as swiftly as George Michaels was after the bathroom incident.
Agree. It would suck if this scumbag's name is kept confidential.

It would be a real shame if we had a wall of shame like the old steroid boards had with names, addresses, and phone numbers of guys who tried to pull a quick one on sellers.

Hope your issue gets resolved amicably.

It would be a real shame if we had a wall of shame like the old steroid boards had with names, addresses, and phone numbers of guys who tried to pull a quick one on sellers.

Hope your issue gets resolved amicably.
We do have a similar forum here..
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/bad-guys-to-trade-with.83607/

Although yeah, it'a not to the level of the old HCAF call out threads were mothers maiden names, dog names, places of employment and SS numbers were leaked lmao

Back