Have we discussed pedalboard power supplies yet?

Rick Lee

I'm outgrowing my BBE Supa-Charger unit. I've used all the ports and want to add another pedal or two. So I need something with 10 or more and one or two of those need to be for 18v for my MXR Flanger, which, BTW, has been acting up a lot with this current power supply, but seems to be fine with two 9v batteries. I'm kind of leaning toward the Truetone CS12 or the Voodoo Pedal Power 3 Plus. The Truetone weighs more than twice the Voodoo unit though. I don't like adding weight to my rig, but I will if it's the best and most reliable unit. What do you guys like?

I just got a voodoo pedal power 3 plus and it's killer, much lighter and smaller than the previous versions

Reactions: PDC
I'm leaning that way. But I'm unclear on how the 18v stuff works. Do I have to buy a doubler Y cable to run from two 9v ports into my MXR Flanger?

I have two CS12s…great power supply and never had any problems with them at home or gigging. The 9v AC outlet is nice too if you have any older Digitech stuff.

The Truetone CS12 is pretty good, lots of cable lengths and options. I have the Friedman ones too but to get 18v you just use their special Y cable that combines two 9v jacks (only one Y cable per unit) but if I had to do it over again I'd go with something expandable if you are running a monster board with shit ton of pedals. Either Cioks or Strymon, in fact I heard their 24v expansion cables are compatible between brands.

I have the Trutone and it's been great.

I recently bought an MXR mini which has one 18v outlet but I'm having clock noise issues between the MXR Flanger and/or some delays (Belle Epoch or El Cap). So I have to run a dedicated supply to the Flanger.

So whatever you get...hook it all up and plug it into something high gain and listen for clock noise (high pitched whine). When plugged into a cranked Superlead for example, any clock noise will be evident.

I have a Cooks DC-10 and the Fender Engine Room 8. Both are awesome. The Fender has USB outputs as well.

Truetone CS12 Pro is what I use and I can't say a single bad thing about it. Top shelf unit at a great price IMO

Zuma and/or Ojai. Super quiet.
Truetone is as well. I think people overlook this aspect...for example unless Voodoo has changed with their new P3 you cannot place some pedals such as a wah near it without noise and hum. Not an issue with the Truetone.

I'll never get a larger pedalboard. Less is more. But I do want to add a second delay pedal, wouldn't mind being able to plug my wireless receiver into the pedalboard power supply and I need to get the MXR Flanger power straightened out. The Friedman one looks best for me in size, weight and price. But I'm already using eight ports and probably need 10, which is what the Friedman has. A 12 port PS might make me sleep better at night. But I wouldn't have space on my board for more pedals than I'll have after I add this Ibanez Mini Analog Delay next week.

I'll never get a larger pedalboard.
Then get another pedalboard. :ROFLMAO:

I have an all-in-one board for plugging into any clean amp but I wanted another scaled-down one for plugging into cranked Marshalls (typ Phaser-Flanger-Echo-Boost-EQ).

My pedalboards are plywood so no big deal to make another.

Truetone is as well. I think people overlook this aspect...for example unless Voodoo has changed with their new P3 you cannot place some pedals such as a wah near it without noise and hum. Not an issue with the Truetone.
The voodoo labs pp3 is a switch mode design similar to the Strymon, cioks, Truetone supplies, so no problem with putting pedals too close to the supply like the older voodoo labs supplies.

I am a huge fan of the cioks dc7 and coiks 4 expansions. I have tube Kingsley pedals and the cioks powers them without an issue. On the Truetone cs7, I was able to power 1 Kingsley, but had issues powering 2. Probably not a problem for most people, but I love on the cioks dc7 how you can switch any output to 9v, 12v, 15v, or 18v. The Truetone cs7 is a good supply, no noise, just out grew it.

I think if you are going voodoo labs pp3, Strymon, cioks, or Truetone then to me those are the top 4. Glad to see voodoo labs finally get back in the game with the pp3, their old supplies were great, just using old technology and lacking the power of the newer switch mode supplies.

I have a shitty ass Donner one. It powers my pedals, I guess another one could power them better...but I'm not Eric Johnson and I don't give a shit

I have a shitty ass Donner one. It powers my pedals, I guess another one could power them better...but I'm not Eric Johnson and I don't give a shit

maxresdefault.jpg

Back