Helix or Kemper

What's the name of the profile pack?
Just look up Tim Owens on the Rig Exchange. I run these profiles through real 412 cabinets with the cabinet sims off (obviously) and these sound amazing. Put a little boost out front and these are pretty much identical to my real BE 100 Deluxe head in both the BE and HBE modes. Tim Owens has good patches for both the BE and HBE channels.

i've had both, sold the HX. HX is great, make no mistake, and I like the editor better. But for just pure amp-like tones live and recorded, I really like the Kemper better. Also, I've preached this over and over - a good tube amp for powering a cab makes the Kemper come alive for real "amp-in-the-room" sound. Fryette power station is the shiz....

i've had both, sold the HX. HX is great, make no mistake, and I like the editor better. But for just pure amp-like tones live and recorded, I really like the Kemper better. Also, I've preached this over and over - a good tube amp for powering a cab makes the Kemper come alive for real "amp-in-the-room" sound. Fryette power station is the shiz....
I think the drawback there is once you add a bulky tube poweramp to the rig it almost becomes a point of just going back to a traditional tube head.

Curious, have you ever tried the Kemper Kab or speaker setup? It really improved the in the room experience of Kemper

I think the drawback there is once you add a bulky tube poweramp to the rig it almost becomes a point of just going back to a traditional tube head.

Curious, have you ever tried the Kemper Kab or speaker setup? It really improved the in the room experience of Kemper
I haven't yet, I'm def curious.

totally get the bulk argument, but for someone like me that's schizophrenic with amps and will use a handful of different profiles during a gig, I love the flexibility. I usually build a performance with a pure clean fender, an "edge-of-breakup" tweed, a crunchy marshall, a full-blown marshall, and then something over the top - SLO, BE, etc.

I haven't yet, I'm def curious.

totally get the bulk argument, but for someone like me that's schizophrenic with amps and will use a handful of different profiles during a gig, I love the flexibility. I usually build a performance with a pure clean fender, an "edge-of-breakup" tweed, a crunchy marshall, a full-blown marshall, and then something over the top - SLO, BE, etc.
I bet that rig screams. The Kemper fx and versatility make it worthwhile, but you should check out the Kab or Kemper speakers. It improved that in room feel so much it makes it a slam dunk for me live to just go with the Kemper ss power. Of course, I was doing it before anyway with a traditional 2x12 cab, so I really like the lighter load.

I may get a 2nd Kab and the stereo power mod...

I bet that rig screams. The Kemper fx and versatility make it worthwhile, but you should check out the Kab or Kemper speakers. It improved that in room feel so much it makes it a slam dunk for me live to just go with the Kemper ss power. Of course, I was doing it before anyway with a traditional 2x12 cab, so I really like the lighter load.

I may get a 2nd Kab and the stereo power mod...
i think the kemper speaker is my next purchase. I'm telling my wife it's your fault.

I have both the Helix and Kemper. In my opinion the Kemper rules in the home studio environment with the right profile. I like the Helix more for my live and practice rig.

The Kemper is amazing I just have a harder time dialing it in for both Practice and then live situations. I could never just get it to sound the way I want it through my cab. Going Direct into the front house it sounded great.

With my Helix I could route two outs on one patch and I was able to get it sounding great through my cab and send the front of house a great tone.

I can't stand a dry stage so I always like to use a cab on stage.

Maybe I am doing something wrong with the Kemper?

I just bought a Kemper toaster head and have had it for about 5 days. It came with a few thousand profiles on a USB. I'm impressed so far. Gotta sort these profiles out and get thems into folder I can understand,

If you have an amp farm and want to take it with you, then Kemper profiler. It has a good track record at this stage (pun intended).

Helix Native with the right profiles and IRs is a very powerful modeler and the Helix Stomp may be the best bang for your buck.

Some say the difference is the Kemper has a sort of cocked-wah sound to it. Kemper maybe has the better effects possibilities and pedals though.

I use a kemper at home and my synergy system when I play out. The helix is ok, but its kind if a toy compared to the kemp. The interface on the helix is nice, but the kemper sounds soooooo much better. I’ve had mine for 3 or 4 years and its still the best gear purchase ever.

Kemper amp tones + Helix UI and Helix effects would be the ultimate IMHO.
Thats basically the quad cortex. The interface on the QC is actually much better. And the amp tones are phenomenal.

They are getting there on the effects but it has the worst effects vs any modeler. Probably by mid year next year though it will be as good as the others.

Back