Hell Razor drunk noodling first play thru

Leaving on a trip today. Will give this ago in a week or so. I will say this, and take this with a huge grain of salt, with a couple of the boosts off it sounded VERY MCII-ish. All the thump and clarity for sure.
Ahh good to know! Thanks man! Sounds like the HR has the mcii dna but can go much further as far as gain and possibly thump.

Sounds great… who cares about medium gain classic rock with this amp. Or the clean channel for that matter.

What tubes/watts did you get?
I think it’s not unreasonable to hope a $7000 (assuming taxes and shipping) amp can do more than just one sound 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
If you care about such things, there are much better options for a lot less money. This amp is very modern and oriented towards modern metal tones.
Matt, how close have you been able to get the HR into MCII territory by turning off boosts and shifts?

Some Two Rock amps approach that price. Is reasonable to hope those amps can do modern metal?
Some Two Rocks are a lot more expensive even (over $10K) and I wouldn't put them sound wise in the same league as Wizard's personally. They sound too filtered IME, especially for that price, while Wizard's are among the only non-vintage amps I've tried that have a more organic/natural sound. Two Rocks to me (for the most part) are just a from concentrate version of a real Dumble being the fresh squeezed version, while I haven't played another amp yet that's exactly the same flavor as Wizard's. For cleans at least, I think the Alessandro AZZ series smokes the Two Rocks (I have a DAZZ)

Ahh good to know! Thanks man! Sounds like the HR has the mcii dna but can go much further as far as gain and possibly thump.
It has to me the Wizard sound we're familiar with, but with a lot more gain, attack, tightness/fast response and more eq shaping possibilities with the way the 3 gain controls work. There's something cool also in the uppermids about it that I didn't get in the MC and MTL (you can hear it in the OP's phone clip too). I find my KT150 version has considerably more thump than the EL34 MC and MTL I had before, but I'd imagine the KT150 versions of those amps would probably be more competitive in thump to the HR KT150

I think it’s not unreasonable to hope a $7000 (assuming taxes and shipping) amp can do more than just one sound 🤷‍♂️
I say quality over quantity. Any amp that does one sound (no matter how specific) that is best in its class to me justifies itself rather than an amp that does tons of sounds 8/10 good. For a high gain amp the Hell Razor has some of the better cleans I've heard as a nice bonus, but no it's gonna rival for cleans a good '60's Blackface, Copperpanel Vox AC30, Alessandro AZZ, etc, which also reminds of so many amps more expensive than the Hell Razor that are also way less versatile: Alessandro AZZ, Gjika, '60's Fender Vibroverb as some examples. All amazing sounding amps that only do really 1 sound that most on here wouldn't care for

Back