Hell Razor vs Hellion V3

peterc52

peterc52

Well-known member
New to this micing up thingy. Any tips of anything is appreciated. I did nothing in logic when it was recorded. Should I do anything??

On boost is not activated on the HR. Bright knobs on back are always on 10. BKP Ragnarok in bridge in the artist PRS



Phone audio version

 
Mic'd video wins over room tone video no question. Mic'd setup sounds killer, no notes other than maybe think about a noise gate, hah. You could even add one in post so there's nothing in the signal path messing with your tone.

In this video, both amps sound awesome and to be honest, each one sounds just as good as the other. To me the Wizard sounds slightly clearer and more articulate while the GZ sounds just a bit more saturated. Both great, just a matter of which vibe you're looking for.

This also might be the best recorded Wizard Hell Razor tone I've heard on youtube. Very cool.
 
Last edited:
Really enjoyed the mic’d clip but the phone one sounded like the amp was in a different room
 
Hellion. More juicy grind and character. Wizards just never quite do it for me
 
Both amps sound great...Really a matter of taste. Me personally? I would lean Hellion here the way you have them dialed in.
 
You can't fairly compare these. The one is a jose clipper and the other is not.
 
They are both great sounds, but they're honestly completely different in every way except that they are generally high gain

I don't really have a preference, both are killer
 
You can't fairly compare these. The one is a jose clipper and the other is not.

While I’d typically agree with you, it’s not necessarily entirely true in this case.

The Hellion is intentionally designed to overcome the traditional shortcomings of a Jose circuit with diodes. The entire circuit is designed to maximize openness, clarity and dynamics like a non clipping amp. Plus, the diodes are variable so they can be dialed in or out for more or less compression.

I think of the amp as more of a traditional sound with the added spice of some diode clipping. With the largest diode selected and comp/raw control above 2 o clock, the diodes are virtually completely out of the circuit.

No other Jose-based amp sounds like it. They all have diodes 100% in circuit and design around that. I’ve found the best compromise of both designs.

You often hear people say no one has done anything new with the Jose circuit. Well, this is it, in my opinion. It’s like next evolution in the sound of that design. Especially this new amp. More so than any of my previous designs.

The Wizard also has diodes, technically. But it’s also a plate-driven tone stack. They are definitely different designs. So your point is certainly still valid.

Wizards are great amps with amazing build quality. Can’t take any of that away from them…
 
Last edited:
While I’d typically agree with you, it’s not necessarily entirely true in this case.

The Hellion is intentionally designed to overcome the traditional shortcomings of a Jose circuit with diodes. The entire circuit is designed to maximize openness, clarity and dynamics like a non clipping amp. Plus, the diodes are variable so they can be dialed in or out for more or less compression.

I think is the amp as more of a traditional sound with the added spice of some diode clipping. With the largest diode selected and comp/raw control above 2 o clock, the diodes are virtually completely out of the circuit.

No other Jose-based amp sounds like it. They all have diodes 100% in circuit and design around that. I’ve found the best compromise of both designs.

You often hear people say no one has done anything new with the Jose circuit. Well, this is it, in my opinion. It’s like next evolution in the sound of that design. Especially this new amp. More so than any of my previous designs.

The Wizard also has diodes, technically. But it’s also a plate-driven tone stack. They are definitely different designs. So your point is certainly still valid.

Wizards are great amps with amazing build quality. Can’t take any of that away from them…
Appreciate a response like this, thank you so much for it bro. The amp sounds fantastic btw.
 
Hellion for me, just has more grind and is a little bit juicier, both sound great. Killed it with V3 Jeremy
 
Hellion by a mile. Doesn't sound as hollow on the low end, which is why I sold my MTL for one lol. Kinda making me rethinking if I actually want a HR...

Clip sounded good to me outside of that hum; but that was in both clips so I'm assuming it's not a recording artifact.
 
I think we need to talk about how great that cab sounds. There's a ton of depth and width to the sound, it's also clear on top but there's no crackly fizzy top end whatsoever like you often hear in clips of a single SM57 on a 12" speaker. I know the video is in mono but the cab almost sounds like there's a stereo effect going on, like there's a moving kind of phasey thing happening. What a cool sounding cab.

How loud were the amps in the room? I remember your studio build thread, I wonder if the reflection off the wall the cab is facing has something to do with it.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top