Help choosing pickups for Les Paul Studio.

I have a Les Paul Studio Platinum from 2003 I think. I've read that those do not have the maple top other Les Paul's have. It is tuned to drop Bb. I use it for Neurosis, Tool, Devin Townsend style riffs but going for that Fear Factory, SYL, Meshuggah type tones. I really liked the stock Gibson pickup. Just wanted more saturation something suited more for modern metal styles.

Currently I have EMG 57/66 in it. I find it to a bit loose, mushy, sterile, and harsh. Kind of uncontrolled. I however love the 57 in my Rico Jr. Vixen Hybrid which sounds thin and weak with the 81 that's in it.
I like the 81 a lot better in the Les Paul than the 57. It's more defined and controlled, however it still sounds and feels kind of mushy. I feel the same about the 81 that's in my necktgrough mahogany Ibanez Giger RG.
Preferred the stock Gibson compared to both Emg's. It seemed tighter, clearer, and more solid, more controlled. However want something more saturated or suited for aggressive modern metal. Need ultra tight and clear given it's an all mahogany Les Paul tuned down to Bb.

Willing to listen to any suggestions on pickups but more looking to see if anyone can pinpoint what it is I like about the stock Gibson vs. the Emg's. Like is it Active vs. Passive? Ceramic vs. Alnico? High output vs. a bit lower output?
Thanks.

-DIMARZIO DROP SONIC-(if you get a black one, and don't like it I'll buy it off ya)+

-I think what your liking about the stock pups is they're lower output, that's the glue that holds everything together, lowering your pup will help with note separation/clarity.

What amp are you playing???

Like sg guy said, I like to run my pups low. I haven't got on with the low output pups I've tried. I like running a hot ceramic but run them really low.

Never played EMGs, so can't help you there.

BKP Painkiller (My favorite pup to date for the heavy stuff) AMAZING saturation (just enough), great pick attack and articulation, killer low end tightness, and hyper aggressive mids!. Some say it can be harsh, I don't get that in my rig, its just bold, in your face, and abrasive, but in a good metal way. Would sound great in that guitar IMO.

BKP C-pig---Another TIGHT, AGGRESSIVE saturated bridge pup with phenomenal pick attack . This one would be potentially awesome in that guitar. It is based heavily in the low mids and accentuates the bass frequencies though, so there's a chance it may be too dark for that guitar, but I say its worth a shot because its modern, tight, and mean as hell. Its not near as hot and bass heavy as the description makes it out to be though. Don't let the numbers on paper scare you.

Dimarzio Dominion--Moderate output output, tight as hell, great mids, very chunky and aggressive. Will handle a fuck ton of gain without hesitation and remain pretty clear. I swapped the 498 t and 490 r in my 04 LP studio with these and thought it was a major improvement over the stock pups.
Only thing here is this is a relatively dry feeling pickup, but if you have an amp that saturates heavily these will eat it up and shine.

Duncan Black Winter--I loved this set. Nice saturation, Very tight and pretty articulate, aggressive mids, and a very percussive but controlled low end frequency response.

I've recently started looking into Motor City pups too. Have never played on any, but they have some pups that seem like they would certainly fit your needs as well. Check out the "Nuke" specs! I'm definitely thinking of checking those out if he makes a 7 string version.

If you like the gibbo pups texture but need more output,the 500t is actually a good stock metal pickup. I would also vote for the Bkp painkiller, or the miracle man. Either of those are mean, tight, but organic sounding metal pups.

mchn13":1hbbtr73 said:
If you like the gibbo pups texture but need more output,the 500t is actually a good stock metal pickup. I would also vote for the Bkp painkiller, or the miracle man. Either of those are mean, tight, but organic sounding metal pups.

Unless this model is different, I think The studios all come with the old 490/498 combo, not the 496/ 500t. If that's the case, they're not all that hot compared to a lot of the suggestions or the emg pickups he has now. Depending on his amp, it may be the lower output pickups that he's liking and wanting?

Thanks guys.
As of now I'm in between amps. Thinking of getting the new Peters Body Hammer. Just waiting for clips/videos. Had an Engl Savage 120, Mesa Racktifier, VHT Sig X, Splawn Nitro, KSR Orthos, Modded JCM 800. Also played said guitar through various other amps. Lots of time with a Mark V.

Pickup height. Definitely have it sitting way low. Any bit of raising it and it's way too much.

Drop Sonic, my brother played a guitar with one at a local store here and won't shut up about it.

BKP and MCP, this is where my questions about output and magnets come in to play. So many different models and different specs. Some models with the option for ceramic or alnico. BKP, Miracle Man from description has my eye for this specific guitar. Also have a friend with an Aftermath in a LP Studio that sounds good. MCP Solution, Ceramic or A5? Angel Dust both have my eye.

Fishman, those have my eye as well. There's where the active vs. passive question come in. I've always liked actives and both EMG 81 and 57 sound good in my Rico Jr. Both sound bad in Les Paul.

Had similar experiences as you with EMG's...which cemented my preference for passive pickups.
Now the trick is finding TIGHT sounding passives that are useful for metal.

Depending on how modern you want it to sound, I can recommend the following for tight and direct tones:
-DiMarzio EVO's (could work very well in a Les Paul...in Strat-ish I found them too bright)
-Duncan Distortions (if I were to play in a 80s/90s thrash band, I'd be using these constantly)

If you care for a bit more 'vintage juice' and slightly lower output, while still being properly tight sounding:
-DiMarzio Norton (have this in a Les Paul Standard and a Charvel So-Cal ProMod...does a good EVH tone in a Les Paul!)
-Duncan Custom 5 (this is basically a JB without the 'flaws'...big, but tight controlled low-end, no strident highs. Had it in a Les Paul Custom with much success and now am using it in my ESP Horizon NT-II)

I'd look into the new Fluence pickups since you already have the electronics for actives. I've never played them, but on paper those new KSE signature model sounds like it would be worth a look. It's supposed to be tighter in the bass and has a little less output than their standard modern model, so maybe it's a little more controllable?

Marshall Freak":c4axweu2 said:
mchn13":c4axweu2 said:

Unless this model is different, I think The studios all come with the old 490/498 combo, not the 496/ 500t. If that's the case, they're not all that hot compared to a lot of the suggestions or the emg pickups he has now. Depending on his amp, it may be the lower output pickups that he's liking and wanting?

No I understand, that's why I suggested the 500t instead of the 498 he probably has. But in his og post he said he liked them but could use more saturation/ compression. The 500 fairly close to the strings will definitely do that.

Depends on material, but for me dropc aggressive stuff (Gibson Gothic LP) BK Aftermaths are lethal. Kind of has an abrasive thing going on in the hi mids by itself, but in a live or recorded band mix it sounds perfect. Feels wonderful with super fast and articulate attack.

There is a lot of Fishman rage going on, I'd like to try that out in one of my axes.

crankyrayhanky":3qlqyenw said:
Depends on material, but for me dropc aggressive stuff (Gibson Gothic LP) BK Aftermaths are lethal. Kind of has an abrasive thing going on in the hi mids by itself, but in a live or recorded band mix it sounds perfect. Feels wonderful with super fast and articulate attack.

There is a lot of Fishman rage going on, I'd like to try that out in one of my axes.

I definitely want to try an Aftermath :thumbsup:

Thinking of buying one of the new Prestige RGD Uppercuts, and they come stock with Aftermaths.

Intimidator333":5kn4g2qe said:
splawner":5kn4g2qe said:
Hands down the best pup a found for a LP is the Gibson 500t
Like the 498 but hotter I take it?
Kinda, but not really, lol. It's ceramic rather than alnico and its wound hotter. IMO it's brighter and more percussive.

Tight and organic I would suggest Bareknuckle Aftermath or Juggernaut. Another very good pickup is the Rebel Yell.

Back