Help me choose components for my first home studio

Worth noting that external preamps get used a hell of a lot on records when only budget mixers are available. So everything important could go through Neves and API's whilst the accordion and kazoo go through the Mackie.... take what you read with an entire sack of salt.
I just mentioned what I mentioned. Those days are gone anyways, everybody want the new improved cheater studio. Why you think they closed most of Sound City studio`s, nobody wanted to record without all the digital bells and whistles anymore. Mind you that Neve console Grohl bought from them cost $75,000 in 1973

I just mentioned what I mentioned. Those days are gone anyways, everybody want the new improved cheater studio. Why you think they closed most of Sound City studio`s, nobody wanted to record without all the digital bells and whistles anymore. Mind you that Neve console Grohl bought from them cost $75,000 in 1973

And yet, you can still buy the sound of those neve preamps for 1k a channel from BAE, or less from others. It’s a no brainer, and a necessity still today in pro studios everywhere.

Worth noting that external preamps get used a hell of a lot on records when only budget mixers are available. So everything important could go through Neves and API's whilst the accordion and kazoo go through the Mackie.... take what you read with an entire sack of salt.

That's the problem.. I watched a clip of Sylvia Massy talking about this nice little Mackie mixer they had available to them that made their drums pop in this little studio..wow they sound great!! But they also had a bunch of Neve preamps rack mounted and some WARM audio stuff. So yeah, it sounded like the Mackie was used for summing and sending the drums to board but the heavy sonic listening was the neves and WARM audio with the Mackie providing the cohesive glue/stereo spread. It sounds more and more to me like all these producers are using their consoles for summing. Set to unity gain and ITB stems out through the mixer. In cases where they have an SSL board, they might use the EQ but for recall, they literally just sum through these 20-30K consoles and throw outboard compression on a buss here or there. So these old boards have the advantage of being cheap for small demos and projects and summing really. It's interesting. A lot of consoles stick around because you walk into the studio and are like damn! So cool! Legit studio here. But look to the right and left of that console of all the racks and 500 series racks with external mic pre, eq, and compressors.

The mackies are transparent like beringher :p Which is good, that enables one to use neve dbx 160a etc etc which does color in their own awesome way.

There are lots of bands today that would never make it out of the studio if it werent for pro tools :eek:

That's the problem.. I watched a clip of Sylvia Massy talking about this nice little Mackie mixer they had available to them that made their drums pop in this little studio..wow they sound great!! But they also had a bunch of Neve preamps rack mounted and some WARM audio stuff. So yeah, it sounded like the Mackie was used for summing and sending the drums to board but the heavy sonic listening was the neves and WARM audio with the Mackie providing the cohesive glue/stereo spread. It sounds more and more to me like all these producers are using their consoles for summing. Set to unity gain and ITB stems out through the mixer. In cases where they have an SSL board, they might use the EQ but for recall, they literally just sum through these 20-30K consoles and throw outboard compression on a buss here or there. So these old boards have the advantage of being cheap for small demos and projects and summing really. It's interesting. A lot of consoles stick around because you walk into the studio and are like damn! So cool! Legit studio here. But look to the right and left of that console of all the racks and 500 series racks with external mic pre, eq, and compressors.

Yea no one ever really used say, an SSL specifically for instance, for their mic pres. They honestly don’t even sound that great. But the board has a sound, so people do like tracking on them for sure, for the eq and compression specifically. Fairly common still today is to track on an ssl etc, and use analog summing with something like a chandler summing amp etc and send the tracks into the box, like you said.

Big older consoles are great but the maintenance and repair unless they are modular (which then means you are paying way more) doesn't seem worth it to me for what most of us do. I think outboard preamps and compression are the way to go as music production forges ahead with some form of analog summing at the end. But talking about wasted money... analog summing boxes. I mean 2k for something that does one simple thing. Nothing else. That's nuts too.

I can vouch for @VESmedic regarding the BAE 1073, what a damn difference! I purchased the desktop version and it has such a phenomenal DI as well!

There are lots of bands today that would never make it out of the studio if it werent for pro tools :eek:
I agree with this, but on the same line of thinking...I feel as though there are bands that have greatly suffered from the overuse of pro tools/some plugins and ultimately sounded worse.

I agree with this, but on the same line of thinking...I feel as though there are bands that have greatly suffered from the overuse of pro tools/some plugins and ultimately sounded worse.

All the tracks with plugins and the amounts of plugins... they are priced to make you a junkie. This vid resonated with me. I've purchased a few plugins but mostly stopped myself from going all in..

All the tracks with plugins and the amounts of plugins... they are priced to make you a junkie. This vid resonated with me. I've purchased a few plugins but mostly stopped myself from going all in..

Plug-ins are a rabbit hole I don’t fall into, and no one should either. Many do the exact same thing as 15+ other plugs, the quicker you realize that the better off you’ll be. Get the basic tools and start there, no reason to go down that rabbit hole.

Back