Help me decide between a PRS CU22 or 24!

The Udo

Hey guys!

The topic kinda says it all. Standing in front of the decision between a CU22 or CU24.
Both are 20th anniversery.
The 22 is emerald green with Dragon II pickups and stoptail.
The 24 is Blue Matteo with HFS and Vintage Bass pickups and a tremolo bridge.

What do you say? Would appreciate both pro´s and con´s.

Have a good one!

Hahaha....he sure knows what he likes :LOL: :LOL:

The number of frets doesn´t conscerne me that much, more the bridges

The Udo":17r6bj9q said:
Hey guys!

The topic kinda says it all. Standing in front of the decision between a CU22 or CU24.

Have a good one!

Between the two, I'd go for the CU24

Viper":134g7he7 said:
The Udo":134g7he7 said:
Hey guys!

Have a good one!

Between the two, I'd go for the CU24

What makes the 24 a winner you think?

I'd go with the 22, unless you NEED a vibrato, then that kinda settles it. never really blown away by PRS trems, I prefer Emerald green to blue matteo, and I like Dragons more than the HFS and VB combo. just my 2 cents :thumbsup:

JTyson":1azhnu5f said:
I'd go with the 22, unless you NEED a vibrato, then that kinda settles it. never really blown away by PRS trems, I prefer Emerald green to blue matteo, and I like Dragons more than the HFS and VB combo. just my 2 cents :thumbsup:

If you play any drop tunings, go with the 24. the 22's neck is too short to lend itself to holding tunings, I found. I sold my Emerald Green CE22, but still have a Red CE24. I don't care much for PRS trems. Wish it was a hardtail. I have a hard tail Tremonti and this one rocks. Totally different tone though. The other thing I don't like about the 24 is the knob for the pick up selector. If you decide to go larger gauge on strings, plan on filing the teflon nut out a bit, or after the first bend, you will be sharp.

Steve

There will definitely be pretty substantial tonal differences between the two as well. Neck pickup placement is a big deal, the 22 is going to have a warmer more traditional neck pickup tone whereas the 24 is going to have a brighter, clearer neck pickup tone due to the pickup being closer to the bridge, plus the whole stoptail versus tremolo debate. The 22 will be much more Les Paulish due to the bridge and the neck, the 24 will probably be a good bit brighter as well as completely different feeling to play. The longer neck with the bridge and bridge pickup moved forward will feel very different.

In regards to what steve_k said about tuning, I dont think that is accurate. The 24 does have a longer neck, but the added length is offset by the different bridge and bridge pickup placement, so the scale length is exactly the same as a 22 and therefore would have to bearing on tuning stability or string tension.

Valtiel":bwi8k8lx said:
In regards to what steve_k said about tuning, I dont think that is accurate. The 24 does have a longer neck, but the added length is offset by the different bridge and bridge pickup placement, so the scale length is exactly the same as a 22 and therefore would have to bearing on tuning stability or string tension.

Fair enough. Just what I found to be true. Take one down a few notches to drop B or C. I could never hold one with the 22, but did with the 24. Same with the McCarty.

Steve

steve_k":37fyltwx said:
JTyson":37fyltwx said:

If you play any drop tunings, go with the 24. the 22's neck is too short to lend itself to holding tunings, I found. I sold my Emerald Green CE22, but still have a Red CE24. I don't care much for PRS trems. Wish it was a hardtail. I have a hard tail Tremonti and this one rocks. Totally different tone though. The other thing I don't like about the 24 is the knob for the pick up selector. If you decide to go larger gauge on strings, plan on filing the teflon nut out a bit, or after the first bend, you will be sharp.

Steve
Yep, I HATE that rotary pup selector :aww:

What neck carve is on the CU22? The standard (which you can only get on the 24 fret models) and the wide-fat are my personal favorites. I have a Singlecut with the wide-fat. IMO, the trem is one of the better non-locking trems out there, and when set up right I don't have many tuning issues. You only get 2.5 steps of pullup on them though.

Ideally I'd play them both though - I've played both great ones and duds.

The 22 is a wide thin and the 24 is regular I think.
Would love to play them both, but since I´m buying used I cant try ém both =/

I have three 22 fret PRSi and they are all drop tuned. I have no issues staying in tune. If you use heavy strings(11's or over) you would likely need to get the adjustable stoptail piece to get the intonation perfect. I have them on all of mine. I use 12-60 strings in drop C tuning for the most part, regular set of 11's if I'm in standard or a 1/2 step down. Making sure the nut slots fit whatever gauge string you use is key with either guitar. Fitting "close enough" is not good enough IMO, for any guitar.

Try them both and see what suits you. If you don't use a trem and you like the 24 better, you can always block it or get a Tremol-no(sp?). The 24 will sound more modern on the bridge pickup, its a hotter pickup. Pickups can always be changed out though. I like the wide fat necks best, but like regular carve too. Actually, I don't hate the wide thin either, guess they all work for me. I prefer the 3 way toggle w/coil tap over rotary. I could never be accurate on quick changes with the rotary. Some guys learn to use it really well though. You might find a store to try some PRS out at so you can at least compare the models.

It really comes down to whether you need or care if it has a trem on it. After that its personal nit-picky stuff as to what you like. What style do you play?

I play heavy stuff, like Slipknot meets In Flames. But I also like diversity, you know? I play in Drop-B so tuning and tension is important. If I remember correctly no PRS takes more than .58 without modification right?
The thing now is where to go, because I like the stoptail more than the tremolo, but I like the 24 frets better than 22.
It´s a luxury problem, but still it´s alot of money.
When it comes to pickups it doesn´t matter, I´m going to change them to Lundgren´s right away :thumbsup:

Definitely get the adjustable stoptail - the standard one has fixxed intonation and won't intonate correctly using anything bigger than 10's in E, and I have a feeling for drop B you will have a lot of issues. If you have a store nearby that sells them, check out the different neck carves in person. If not, you should be able to flip it for what you paid for it since they are used.

steve_k":176b6f3p said:
JTyson":176b6f3p said:

If you play any drop tunings, go with the 24. the 22's neck is too short to lend itself to holding tunings, I found.
Steve

That makes no sense to me. The scale is 25" on both models, so the neck is the same length, minus 2 frets. I play in Drop B and Drop B flat on my Custom 22 with no intonation or tuning issues...None. We use 12 to 60 gauge strings, and we didn't have to do any modifications.

Jordon":b03j3jdg said:
steve_k":b03j3jdg said:
JTyson":b03j3jdg said:

If you play any drop tunings, go with the 24. the 22's neck is too short to lend itself to holding tunings, I found.
Steve

That makes no sense to me. The scale is 25" on both models, so the neck is the same length, minus 2 frets. I play in Drop B and Drop B flat on my Custom 22 with no intonation or tuning issues...None. We use 12 to 60 gauge strings, and we didn't have to do any modifications.

That´s weird...because they all use the same tuners right? I had a CE24 before and I couldn´t get anything over .58 in there :confused:

And in keeping it in tune, seems like the tremolo works fine....sure the adjustable stoptail would be preferable, but so far the CU24 has the lead

Back