Herbert problems

mincy

I'm not sure how to describe this one, but looking for some help. My Herbert is making a sort of crackling noise when I sustain a chord. It's intermittent, but really annoying. If you listen to the clips below, it sounds like a sort of digital breakup on the recording, it's not. It's live in the room, the recording is accurate. The amp was serviced this year by a tech Peter recommended, I've literally swapped every tube (preamp and power), changed the speaker cable, changed the speaker cabinet, changed the instrument cable to the amp and even tried different guitars. Problem persists through all the changes. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I was go to say a capacitor or solder joint from the description but can you try another cab?

I was go to say a capacitor or solder joint from the description but can you try another cab?
I have tried another cab, another guitar, another cable, single coils, humbuckers. All stays the same. I'm guessing it will need to go back to the tech, but was hoping for something more concrete as far as a problem. It's a bummer for sure.

Remove the head from your cab and try again. It sounds like power tube rattle. I get it too on some amps. Make sure your tubes are seated tight. Might need to retension the sockets or replace the tubes as one could be rattling. I bet that is the issue; a tube rattling that needs to be replaced. Did you stand next to the amp and touch the tubes as it happens to see if you can find one that is rattling?

Reactions: Geo
Remove the head from your cab and try again. It sounds like power tube rattle. I get it too on some amps. Make sure your tubes are seated tight. Might need to retension the sockets or replace the tubes as one could be rattling. I bet that is the issue; a tube rattling that needs to be replaced. Did you stand next to the amp and touch the tubes as it happens to see if you can find one that is rattling?
I'll give that a try, as I haven't done any of that. The tech did retension the sockets, but this problem started shortly after I got the amp back from him, so who knows what happened in transport. Thanks.

Well, I not only reseated tubes, I replaced them all. No difference. No difference pulling the head off the cab either. Something definitely wrong with it

Thanks, it was recapped early this year, but who knows, maybe the tech made a mistake. Not judging, it happens. I'm reaching out to the tech Peter recommend, who also did the previous work, and see what he says.

Thanks, it was recapped early this year, but who knows, maybe the tech made a mistake. Not judging, it happens. I'm reaching out to the tech Peter recommend, who also did the previous work, and see what he says.
Could be a bad cap, it happens more than you think.

Back