Hetfield + Jose

Except that the story was it was stolen after a gig in Boston on the Ride the Lightning tour cycle…
I think this could be the one he got around the Black Album time. Bob got one also which became the "asshole" amp.
It's not his old stolen one.

That's great that it sounded "insane" in the room but sadly that insanity isn't reflected on the album. Is there an example of a Greg Fidelman metal tone that isn't junk? It's ok to mix some records with the 'big picture' in mind but this is Metallica, the guitars absolutely must have authority. His tones carry no weight, Slipknot went from brutal nasty tones on Iowa to the polite castrated whimper heard on the Fidelman mixed Vol 3.

That's great that it sounded "insane" in the room but sadly that insanity isn't reflected on the album. Is there an example of a Greg Fidelman metal tone that isn't junk? It's ok to mix some records with the 'big picture' in mind but this is Metallica, the guitars absolutely must have authority. His tones carry no weight, Slipknot went from brutal nasty tones on Iowa to the polite castrated whimper heard on the Fidelman mixed Vol 3.
I think the drums have taken the front seat ever since the black album. But I agree, Fidelman doesn't know what he's doing.

thats crazy, i thought it was axeFX
when in the studio they play through real amps. They use their AxeFX live. They’ve worked with Fractal directly as well as independent guys to build patches that closely resemble their studio tones. Hetfield’s guitar tech has talked about that.

I saw Hetfield’s Jose Marshall a few years ago. It was at Friedman’s shop for a while. The chassis was out of the head shell and upside down. That was one amp that had me a little weak in the knees.

The amp was a metal panel Super Lead. I remember it being fairly loaded with options from Jose. I want to say it had the diodes but I can’t be 100%. Dave was doing maintenance on it for James.

Back