High-Gain JCM800/2204 Build

FourT6and2":zgbkqxix said:
Lowered depth cap to 0.0022uF from 0.0047uF. Nice mid boost. You do lose some of the deep low-end but you still get a decent thump. And you can drop the mids slightly to get back the deepness of the 4n7 cap.

Also settled on a 0.001uF bypass on the Gain voltage divider to tame some of the hash noise.

This thing is really coming along and I'm definitely learning a lot as I go.

Cool stuff.

It’s amazing how those simple depth circuits can alter the tone and feel.

Just curious, did you try a .003?

psychodave":1ktz7qfv said:
FourT6and2":1ktz7qfv said:
Lowered depth cap to 0.0022uF from 0.0047uF. Nice mid boost. You do lose some of the deep low-end but you still get a decent thump. And you can drop the mids slightly to get back the deepness of the 4n7 cap.

Also settled on a 0.001uF bypass on the Gain voltage divider to tame some of the hash noise.

Cool stuff.

Yeah I tried a bunch of values and paralleling caps to get in-between. I think 0.0025 – 0.003 is pretty good. 0.0020 or 0.0022 might be too low. I haven't soldered anything in yet. Gonna give it a week for my ears to adjust. Might also try that Cameron version with two caps in series and then two in parallel with a resistor in series, in parallel with the first two caps. lol cluster fuck. But in the end you wind up with 0.0025 and a resistor.

FourT6and2":2934s3x7 said:
psychodave":2934s3x7 said:
FourT6and2":2934s3x7 said:

Cool stuff.

Yeah I tried a bunch of values and paralleling caps to get in-between. I think 0.0025 – 0.003 is pretty good. 0.0020 or 0.0022 might be too low. I haven't soldered anything in yet. Gonna give it a week for my ears to adjust. Might also try that Cameron version with two caps in series and then two in parallel with a resistor in series, in parallel with the first two caps. lol cluster fuck. But in the end you wind up with 0.0025 and a resistor.

Yeah, it can get nuts. I still tinker.

That resistor focuses on a frequency for lack of the technical explanation. Haha

psychodave":cmaltgl4 said:
FourT6and2":cmaltgl4 said:
psychodave":cmaltgl4 said:
FourT6and2":cmaltgl4 said:

Cool stuff.

That resistor focuses on a frequency for lack of the technical explanation. Haha

Come to think of it, Mark gave me a 0.0027uF cap for some reason. Didn't say why. Maybe I should try it here...

And yeah, I guess you could use a pot instead of that resistor. This shit is never ending arrrrghg.

But yes, the depth control really does have a drastic change on the amp as a whole. Much more than I thought it would. It can be a global mid control that works in tandem with the actual mid knob if you use a 0.002 cap. Drop the mids and it focuses on low end. Push the mids and suddenly it's a low-mid boost. Would be interesting to change out an SLO's depth mod for a lower value cap instead of the 0.0047.

FourT6and2":pb37iflx said:
psychodave":pb37iflx said:
psychodave":pb37iflx said:

Cool stuff.

Come to think of it, Mark gave me a 0.0027uF cap for some reason. Didn't say why. Maybe I should try it here...

And yeah, I guess you could use a pot instead of that resistor. This shit is never ending arrrrghg.

But yes, the depth control really does have a drastic change on the amp as a whole. Much more than I thought it would. It can be a global mid control that works in tandem with the actual mid knob if you use a 0.002 cap. Drop the mids and it focuses on low end. Push the mids and suddenly it's a low-mid boost. Would be interesting to change out an SLO's depth mod for a lower value cap instead of the 0.0047.
Pretty sure the "q" control or "freq" control is that pot instead of a resistor on alot of the Aldrich mods. Between the adjustable depth and an adjustable NFB resistor you can really tailor alot

scottosan":3rbvloz4 said:
FourT6and2":3rbvloz4 said:
psychodave":3rbvloz4 said:
psychodave":3rbvloz4 said:

Cool stuff.

Pretty sure the "q" control or "freq" control is that pot instead of a resistor on alot of the Aldrich mods. Between the adjustable depth and an adjustable NFB resistor you can really tailor alot

Yup. Variable NFB + Presence + Depth + Voicing/Q/Freq/Whatever would give you almost too many options. I had an amp with variable NFB and I just couldn't leave it alone. I prefer simplicity otherwise I tweak the amp more than I play.

All done. Finalized the NFB circuit. New clip soon.

amprig_by_haftelm_dctn3tv-fullview.jpg

amprig2_by_haftelm_dctn3ta-fullview.jpg

Here's a final clip after all the changes.
I'm pretty happy with how it sounds here in the room, but hey I'm no recording engineer.

This is straight in (no boosts or EQ pedals). For a few of the sections I'm running a TC Flashback delay in the loop.
When I'm not running the delay, it's out of the loop (not merely bypassed).

FourT6and2":1rt1ecwq said:
Here's a final clip after all the changes.
I'm pretty happy with how it sounds here in the room, but hey I'm no recording engineer.

This is straight in (no boosts or EQ pedals). For a few of the sections I'm running a TC Flashback delay in the loop.
When I'm not running the delay, it's out of the loop (not merely bypassed).

Man, that sounds really, really good! Sounds really clear yet very direct..not too woofy. Sounds like it would cut like a knife. Great job.

Nice job. Sounds really good. Better than the chupa 50 I built. I should built another one with some mods.

marcus262":2ebyuads said:
sounds great. :)

How would you compare the gain and mids, with your Chupa and Superlead?

More aggressive and less grainy/fizzy than the Chupa. Tighter low end, but not as "deep". More focused. A little brighter in the mids as well, without being harsh or brighter overall. Hard to describe. I think if you compare that last clip to the the clip of my Chupa you'll hear how the Chupa sounds scooped and fizzy in comparison.

Thanks for checking it out.

Back