High gain, low noise/microphonic preamp tubes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mctallica1
  • Start date Start date
mctallica1

mctallica1

Well-known member
Trying to help a bud out. His JCM 900 is squealy as hell. My first thought is to try preamp tubes. He isn’t local, so me taking my stash over and just spending a few hours rolling tubes isn’t practical.

I tend to go to military grade 6N4’s for this purpose, but I don’t have any that aren’t in an amp or I’d send him some.

I’ve seen Silver Dragons recommended, but when I search that on EBay different tubes come up. What exactly should I be looking for?

What other recommendations do you have? Prefer not to break his bank if possible.

Thanks!
T
 
If youre trying to be super budget friendly, try those plastic cock rings on the preamp tubes and see if it helps with the microphonics 🤷‍♂️
 
Use less gain??
Anyhoo.. Just swap them until U get a good one. Turn it up pretty loud and give it a flick. If it goes PING, then it's no go. If it goes THUD then it's a good one for V1..
 
If youre trying to be super budget friendly, try those plastic cock rings on the preamp tubes and see if it helps with the microphonics 🤷‍♂️
Ha!

I actually have a few Mesa Spax7’s. Didn’t think about those. I’ll send him some.
 
Back in the early days of my TriAxis Rack, I had it all in a 12 space SKB on top of the Cab. I had all EI ECC83's in there, some of my favorites...
And just sitting there not playing it would start to go WHOOOOOOOOOOOO... Like a choo choo train.. LOL

Just put that tube to the back and move the next one up until you find one that's stable..
 
Use less gain??
Anyhoo.. Just swap them until U get a good one. Turn it up pretty loud and give it a flick. If it goes PING, then it's no go. If it goes THUD then it's a good one for V1..
Yeah…my guy doesn’t have any spare preamp tubes. He’s not a gear head, he just plays and quite well. I sometimes wish I wasn’t as OCD about my gear as I am and could just play without thinking about every detail.

And he’s about 5 hours away, so it isn’t practical for me to go over and tube roll to find what works.
 
Yeah…my guy doesn’t have any spare preamp tubes. He’s not a gear head, he just plays and quite well. I sometimes wish I wasn’t as OCD about my gear as I am and could just play without thinking about every detail.

And he’s about 5 hours away, so it isn’t practical for me to go over and tube roll to find what works.
Amazon has Tung Sol 12AX7 for sale.

https://a.co/d/0fFOLQWm

If you need more gain, add a pedal out front!
 
Back
Top