Home guitar builds

ClintN667

One of my friends brothers is a guitar tech who went through luthier school. I was thinking of getting him to build a v for me so I can get the exact specs and shape I want without paying Jackson Custom shop or ESP custom shop. My other thought was to get something like the Kirk Hammet sig model and having it refinished or buy a used rhoads and get it refretted with stainless frets.

So my question is let's say I buy a body that's unpainted should I get the body and neck from the same place or could I get a body from one company and neck from a second vendor as long as it's a reputable company?

Where is a good place to get a guitar refinished?

Or if I got a full build from a company who besides Sully makes a nice modern v or rhoads shape?

I like the Jackson X series Rhoads RR24. Neck thru, Seymour Duncan Blackouts. Could be a good starting point to refinish / build a custom.

For a little more, some of the Pro series are on sale (likely discontinued; they have FR 1000 and ebony fretboard)

I've had an idea for a custom V for a few years now. I think I'm about to start it. I have an existing neck already. I'm thinking of trying to make a prototype body out of that pink rigid foam and then finding someone that can expertly build it out of wood and do at the fitting and routing.

it's probably a safer bet to get a body and neck from the same place, but it certainly isn't necessary. From my own mistakes, check to make sure that the neck pocket will accept the neck you want. There are rounded neck pockets (strat) and squared neck pockets (tele). a rounded neck will fit in a square pocket, but a square neck will not fit in a rounded one

Back