How is the finish in Gibson explorers?

Kapo_Polenton

I have felt like getting myself a real Gibson for years and the explorer appeals to me. I know however that Gibson's quality control is brutal. My wife's cousin spent 1k on a Gibson recently and the fret work was atrocious. I can't remember the model name but it seems like this plays over and over again.

So specific to the explorers, are the years of any significance ? Say 2009 vs 2018 ..I see a lot of the newer ones on reverb. As that an indication of playability and overall tone of the body being inferior?

Is the jump from Epiphone to Gibson even worth it? Seems like Epiphone has a more consistent turn out. But I need the Gibson nerds to chyme in, I am mostly a superstrat guy but the Matthias jabs in me is dying to get out!

Mine is black and the finish is less than stellar but it is a fantastic playing/sounding guitar. I don’t feel much difference in the necks compared to my V.

Fine im sure.
I liked mine except with that big wing whenever i went to turn it torqued on my back not in a good way and i can play 9lb Les Pauls okay.
The feel & sound was very good.

Wish I could help more but here's a link to my NGD from not too long ago. I'm still really digging it. I only paid $1175 shipped for it with perfect case which I thought was a steal. It plays and sounds great. It is very comfy to play but clumsy in tight spaces...and requires a special stand.

Thanks for the replies guys, 1175 sounds like a steal for a Gibson. What is a reasonable price used? Canadian prices seem to be 1700-2200 ish. I am considering buying from Japan as they always seem to have good used axes for sale.

I have an 81 Explorer (white with gold hardware stock) because of Mathias, the neck on mine is super chunky but the guitar sounds absolutely killer. 100% bone stock. I’d say the paint is kind of thick on it, but at least the older ones you know what you’re getting for wood (no Richlite) and no chambering. Good luck with the search and keep us posted.

I have no direct experience, but have heard that they are not well balanced - the headstock is diving. Maybe the explorer guys could confirm/deny?

YckCacch.jpg
Epiphone is making awesome explorers right now. The only thing I replaced was the tuners on the Lee Malia. They sucked.

I have no direct experience, but have heard that they are not well balanced - the headstock is diving. Maybe the explorer guys could confirm/deny?
Mine balances perfectly but I can see how this might be an issue for certain ones. I had a Jackson Kelly that did it bad.

How about the Japanese ESP Edward's that were made years back? I tend to like the way ESP does things and I have a great ESP budget strat that plays and feels like a dream.

bump! If anyone can look at that fretboard and tell me if i am crazy or am i seeing excessive wear for a 2018.

Thanks fellas!

The top edge (in playing position) looks hacked ! That’s all I can see, like someone tried to roll the edge.

bump! If anyone can look at that fretboard and tell me if i am crazy or am i seeing excessive wear for a 2018.

Thanks fellas!
Yes, the edges look smashed in for sure. The edge is lost totally and looks like something smacked between frets 7-11. It might not effect playability at all but it is there and would be felt by your hand.

Yes, the edges look smashed in for sure. The edge is lost totally and looks like something smacked between frets 7-11. It might not effect playability at all but it is there and would be felt by your hand.
Thanks that is exactly what I am thinking.. might not affect playability but that's gonna affect the price for sure in my eyes. Think this one might be a pass..far from clean.

They're actually balanced quite well, and something about the way that body angle comes up to your right arm just makes for a comfortable well-balanced design for something so pointy. :thumbsup:

I've played a few Gibson Explorers, they totally suck verses my Jackson RR. The neck is just not for me. Night and Day. I've been looking for a Jackson Explorer forever and they don't show up for less than $5K.

They're actually balanced quite well, and something about the way that body angle comes up to your right arm just makes for a comfortable well-balanced design for something so pointy. :thumbsup:
gotcha (y)
I though there was this thing about relocating the strap pin, but it seems not be a general issue then.

I have a red 120th anniversary Explorer. Finish is excellent.

If you use the stock strap location on back of the body, they are perfectly balanced with respect to neck dive, but they tend to dip forward, away from your body.

I added a straplock button in the traditional body edge location and it has a bit of neck dive with a mesh strap that slides easily, but no forward dip.

Back