How is the finish in Gibson explorers?

I've played a few Gibson Explorers, they totally suck verses my Jackson RR. The neck is just not for me. Night and Day. I've been looking for a Jackson Explorer forever and they don't show up for less than $5K.
Is the Jackson Explorer the same as the Kelly? I had a Custom built Jackson Kelly in mid 80s. Do not regret selling it at all. Major neck dive and just never bonded with it. My low S/N (in the 200s) RR Custom I bought just before the Kelly was awesome tho. Def regret selling that, it'd be worth a lot right now.

Having owned an early RR Custom and a Kelly, I think the plain jane '08 Explorer I have now is better than the Kelly and runs right there with the RR Custom. I love the neck on it (my Explorer neck is sanded/oiled so not stock).

Jackson Kelly = Fugly Explorer. Just wrong, like that Carvin star shaped stupid looking POS Gumby-style shitbox style that somehow got through all other stupid designs and actually made and sold as a fucking guitar. It neck dove also, common to all unplayable guitars.

I can't help you with finish but I have a 1984 Artist Series Explorer that is very well balanced, light weight, stays in tune and plays like butter.
Keep in mind that mine is entirely made of maple! I learned this as I was re-painting it a very long time ago.
IMG_4183.jpg

gotcha (y)
I though there was this thing about relocating the strap pin, but it seems not be a general issue then.
I don't know anything about that. I've had a Gibson, a Japanese knock-off and still have a Hamer I've had since the late 80's.... and I've never relocated any strap locks.

So I ended up putting in an offer of 1300 CAD (like 1060$ US) for this guy and they accepted it: https://reverb.com/ca/item/39993663-gibson-explorer-2017-t-heritage-cherry-used

Not sure if the link shows up but i asked for additional photos and it looks even better shape in the photos I got. Also looks to be a nice dark rosewood fretboard which is one of the things i really like compared to the lighter dryer looking ones. (ebony is my favourite) Shipping is a bit high but that's why I offset it with a lower offer. Of course it is a gamble with taxes and duties in Canada but sometimes you get out with hardly any taxes when stuff comes from Japan, Russia, or eastern europe for some reason. As such I prefer buying from there than the US.

Anyway, pumped to get it.. if you guys notice it is fake, don't tell me. Serial number and Made in USA looked good but hey, I could take a dump in a box and slap a label on it with a guarantee and it would also be certified so let's hope for the best lol. (Yes that was a Tommy Boy sort of reference, loved that movie)

5GvVN1ll.jpg
KtqpM1wl.jpg

I have an Explorer that I bought new in late 95. This many years later, the finish feels and looks like a typical thin-ish Gibson nitro finish. You can see the seams, but that's always been my experience with black guitars.

I've always found Explorers to hang well, typically body heavy, but that's how they're supposed to hang when played at the appropriate height.

In terms of specs, mine is 9lbs 5oz. Neck is around 60's specs (at least by memory of the sizes of the time:) 1.78" nut width, .835" at the 1st fret, .92" at the 12th. The Gibson is lighter than my ESP MXII, but with a slightly bigger neck.

So I ended up putting in an offer of 1300 CAD (like 1060$ US) for this guy and they accepted it: https://reverb.com/ca/item/39993663-gibson-explorer-2017-t-heritage-cherry-used

Not sure if the link shows up but i asked for additional photos and it looks even better shape in the photos I got. Also looks to be a nice dark rosewood fretboard which is one of the things i really like compared to the lighter dryer looking ones. (ebony is my favourite) Shipping is a bit high but that's why I offset it with a lower offer. Of course it is a gamble with taxes and duties in Canada but sometimes you get out with hardly any taxes when stuff comes from Japan, Russia, or eastern europe for some reason. As such I prefer buying from there than the US.

Anyway, pumped to get it.. if you guys notice it is fake, don't tell me. Serial number and Made in USA looked good but hey, I could take a dump in a box and slap a label on it with a guarantee and it would also be certified so let's hope for the best lol. (Yes that was a Tommy Boy sort of reference, loved that movie)
See the holes at the top of the post on bridge ?

I'm pretty sure that isn't stock on a Gibson. That is one of the common ways to find a fake. Usually it has a slot at the top on fakes.

Maybe they changed ....but I have never seen one like that before. I would go look at photos of Explorers from that year.

See the holes at the top of the post on bridge ?

I'm pretty sure that isn't stock on a Gibson. That is one of the common ways to find a fake. Usually it has a slot at the top on fakes.

Maybe they changed ....but I have never seen one like that before. I would go look at photos of Explorers from that year.
Ahhh $hit. I may have been overly focused on the neck and headstock for signs.. i need to take a closer look. Man if it is paid how can i reverse that one i wonder. I need to do some digging. I am blowing up the picture and I am not seeing what you are seeing, can you screen capture and circle?

EDIT: Ok, I think I see what you are referring to and am having a look at the newer Gibsons.

Last edited:
Back