How many of you mix your Diezel w/ a Marshall?

steve10358

I notice a lot of guys (Neil Schon, Tony Rombola, Adam Jones, Warren Demartini, etc...) mix a marshall w/ a diezel.

I gotta say- the two compliment each other well. I love running two halfers w/ my JMP and the Herbert. Sounds unreal!!

S.

I've never had the opportunity to try. Since getting my Herbert though I did have the following thought. I went to the Herbie from a Mesa Triaxis and a Marshall EL34 100/100 power amp. I did think now maybe I should look for a 2nd hand Marshall JMP-1 to use with my old EL34 100/100, then I could run a Diezel and marshall together.

I also wondered how nice the Triaxis might sound in the herbie switchable loop on the clean channel. I'll have to give it a try. Been too busy lately though. It might sound great. It might sound like a load of arse though. using a preamp into an amp with its own preamp can have a tendency to sound crap.

Then I could have Marshall sounds, Diezel sounds, and Boogie sounds! To be fair though I really need to sell the other things for the cash. I could then start thinking about getting a Diezel cab too.

Time and money; the 2 things I don't have enough of! :?

I tried Mixing my Herbert with a JMP in the studio and it wasn't what i was looking for....they were almost out of phase with eachother or something.
in the end...surprise surprise the Herbert sounded best when paired up with a VH4.

i guess i'm not that surprised that the two best amps in the world sound better together than with anything less.

I just finished an EP using my VH 4 and a Triple Rectofier (Producers) and it was pretty good but in the mix, I was leaning WAY more towards the VH4. Due to shipping costs I could only bring one head to the studio and I chose the VH4. I tried the VH 4 with other amp combo's at home and the XTC/VH4 mix was a bit underwhelming. The VH4 and my 78 Marshall MKII was very cool. If I go back to the same studio, I'll figure out a way to get both amps there.

See thats what I'm talking about! Nice rig!

I started this thread, because it's been a while since I played them side by side. My 77JMP adds so much midrange, and the diezel adds the lows and tightness. I really love it.

S.

well I use My Einstein with 2 marshall cabs which I love. One is the Vintage 30 cab and the other is the AHWB H-30s cab. Wow, the AHWB cab is just fantastic !!!! It's a work of art along with the Einstein.

I concur with what steve10358 said. I am currently using my VH4 with a Marshall JCM 25/50 Silver Jubilee Head. The Marshall really warms up the sound with those mids. Sounds like adding an additional guitarist if you fade one in after the other with a volume pedal. It helps to set them up to each carry a more narrow eq range so they don't get muddy. Using channel 3 on the Vh4 allows me to clean it up pretty easily with volume and pick attack so channel switching is not an issue.

In response to ME's comment above, the switchable loop places the device AFTER the preamp, so it's particularly good if you want to use your Triaxis. I've also used a 100 watt Marshall connected to a load box and run the line level signal into the loop, then used the power section of the Herbert.
Very versatile switching system.

KG

I used to use a IIC+ with my Diezel. I think I had to use them at 180 degrees out of Phase with a Switchbone pedal. Was a cool rig! When my Herb comes back from Salender I will try it with Elmo. (Elmwood) :D

Hey Todd! I haven't tried my C+ with the herbert yet. Sounds like it'd work real nice.

Also bubba- I tried loading my marshall into the herbert too. Did you like it?

>|<>QBB<
steve10358":d3f86 said:
Hey Todd! I haven't tried my C+ with the herbert yet. Sounds like it'd work real nice.

Also bubba- I tried loading my marshall into the herbert too. Did you like it?

Get one of those Radial Switchbones so you can try swicthing the phase in and out! :partyman: Makes a big difference.

>|<>QBB<
bubba g":b4855 said:
In response to ME's comment above, the switchable loop places the device AFTER the preamp, so it's particularly good if you want to use your Triaxis.
KG

I had a go with the Mesa TriAxis in the loop. I put the output of the T.A. into the return only of the Herbie. Then I just have the loop enabled for triaxis sounds. That way I can run my guitar to the input of both the Herbie & T.A. at the same time with a splitter. Sounds nice. Works well. :) I just haven't got a splitter so when trying it had to pull the guitar out the herbie and plug it in the T.A. instead. With a splitter it would work seemlessly, completely midi switchable between the 2 preamps. Then the series or parallel loop adds on my FX to either preamp.

Funnily enough the Diezel's power amp section shits all over my Marshall EL34 100/100 when it comes to making the TriAxis sound fat!!! :)

My Herbie's being looked at by Peter ATM as I appear to have got a duff one (keeps popping tubes and blowing fuses). I'm using my TriAxis and Marshall again. It has a nice presency mid-y and kinda fizzy sound I forgot I liked, but I really miss the sheer fat fullness of the heavy sounds and my nice jangly cleans. You don't always realise how good an improvement something really is until you go back to what you had. I can see how using both together would sound nice though. The shop I got it from lent me a Randall V2 to use. I'd heard they were supposed to be nice for heavy stuff. F*ck me! I know why I bought my Diezel! My herbie cost £2300, the V2 is £1000. No contest! that extra £1300 is a bargain! The clean channel sounds worse than my 25Watt Marshall Park practice amp! the distorted channel sounds kinda grindy but just seems to lack any depth of tone. Is that what solid state does for you? I'd rather a tube marshall DSL or TSL for £300 less!

>|<>QBB<
Me":fe436 said:
>|<>QBB<

I had a go with the Mesa TriAxis in the loop. I put the output of the T.A. into the return only of the Herbie. Then I just have the loop enabled for triaxis sounds. That way I can run my guitar to the input of both the Herbie & T.A. at the same time with a splitter. Sounds nice. Works well. :) I just haven't got a splitter so when trying it had to pull the guitar out the herbie and plug it in the T.A. instead. With a splitter it would work seemlessly, completely midi switchable between the 2 preamps. Then the series or parallel loop adds on my FX to either preamp.

Funnily enough the Diezel's power amp section shits all over my Marshall EL34 100/100 when it comes to making the TriAxis sound fat!!! :)

My Herbie's being looked at by Peter ATM as I appear to have got a duff one (keeps popping tubes and blowing fuses). I'm using my TriAxis and Marshall again. It has a nice presency mid-y and kinda fizzy sound I forgot I liked, but I really miss the sheer fat fullness of the heavy sounds and my nice jangly cleans. You don't always realise how good an improvement something really is until you go back to what you had. I can see how using both together would sound nice though. The shop I got it from lent me a Randall V2 to use. I'd heard they were supposed to be nice for heavy stuff. F*ck me! I know why I bought my Diezel! My herbie cost £2300, the V2 is £1000. No contest! that extra £1300 is a bargain! The clean channel sounds worse than my 25Watt Marshall Park practice amp! the distorted channel sounds kinda grindy but just seems to lack any depth of tone. Is that what solid state does for you? I'd rather a tube marshall DSL or TSL for £300 less!

I tried a Triaxis like that and the tone was great. However LIVE the Diezel itslef was much bigger. I switched between the Tri and Diezel pre section just by using the loop or not. Pretty cool!

My current new rig I'm building is going to consist of a JVM and a Herb running together...I got the Herb last week, JVM will be here Thursday....I'll try to post some clips or something....

Well here they are together....

P4180890.jpg

They are getting along with each other quite well :) Once my G System shows up today it will be so great being able to run both heads together and being able to switch them and add effects with one button press! This is an early picture. I'm getting both heads roadcased in a dual rack with rackspace, as well as both cabs. I'm also getting the Orange cab retolexed. I HATE THAT COLOR lol.

Both heads sound GREAT together!! The Diezel alone COMPLETELY RIPS!!!! If I had to pick one, this would be THE ONE. I however am a huge fan of layering sounds. Pretty much EVERY album you listen to has a layered distortion sound. In my experience in the studio, most hard rock/metal producers will 95% of the time throw a JCM800 on top of whatever "heavy" head is being used. You know running one live you can usually only pick one sound (exception for the vetta II with the dual tracking live mode, but that distortion on it sounds like a cold turd hitting a wet paper plate). Marshalls have that "snarl" that is ONLY marshall and no other amp has "that" sound. The JVM is a rocking head for sure. I REALLY love it. I think it's the best all around head Marshall has EVER made (blows the Mode 4 POS away). It really has a great blend of past and present Marshall. PLUS it's MIDI so it works excellent for switching live with the set up I'm using. I have the Herb set to a very heavy MASSIVE tone, then run the marshall pulled back just a bit with the mids cranked. Sounds AWESOME!! I coudn't ask for a better mix! I'm going to really spend a lot of time recording both and listening to that to determine the true blend the audience will experience, and keep tweaking from there....

So far so good ;)

I'm gonna repost this over in the JVM forum as well.....

Reading this thread gave me an idea. I am wondering if one of you might be able to expand on this using other pre's for the power section of the VH4 setup...

I really love the VH4 channels 1-3 and on occasion channel 4 is cool if I'm shooting for a lot of compression but I don't use it much at all. If the power section is the same as the other channels could I pipe in the pre output of another head into the VH4? I also really like the blue channel in my XTC and if I could add that to the power of the VH4 . . . . . . . wow!

Would it be possible to run the pre out of the XTC for channel 2 to the input (return) of channel 4 of the VH4? Without blowing everything to hell of course :cry: and if so how?

BTW I have a GSX that I could use for switching/routing . . .

I'd love to not have to bring 2 heads and 2 cabs to all of our shows... :rock:

Thanks,

Ocean 9":72c83 said:
I am using my Herbert and QuickRod together.......sounds pretty good.
i loved my herbert and quickrod together, it was one of the best tones i ever paired up. i think they sound awsome together.

nozkcb":db065 said:
Reading this thread gave me an idea. I am wondering if one of you might be able to expand on this using other pre's for the power section of the VH4 setup...

I really love the VH4 channels 1-3 and on occasion channel 4 is cool if I'm shooting for a lot of compression but I don't use it much at all. If the power section is the same as the other channels could I pipe in the pre output of another head into the VH4? I also really like the blue channel in my XTC and if I could add that to the power of the VH4 . . . . . . . wow!

Would it be possible to run the pre out of the XTC for channel 2 to the input (return) of channel 4 of the VH4? Without blowing everything to hell of course :cry: and if so how?

Thanks,

Pretty sure you would still need a load on the other head anyway.

Ooh! Good point.

Thanks,

Kevin

ENDITOL":d050c said:
nozkcb":d050c said:

Thanks,

Pretty sure you would still need a load on the other head anyway.

Back