How to get Square Wave distortion......

The_Sh0t

How do i get that cool square wave distortion like Bloodbath has??? ive tryed some settings with my OD pedal into my amp but cant quiet get there...its close but even with both pedal and amp gain maxed its not as "square"...i mean it just sounds like a muddy amp, not that super heavy distorted tone. Ive heard somthing somewhere about a compressor pedal, if so how would you go abaout geting that tone with it?

have you heard bloodbath at all?? if not go listen to them, i like the tone, i wana mess around with that type of distortion, just somthing differant

Dude - post a link so that we can see what you're talking about. Square wave distortion is a very specific thing. It's what you get from a solid state amp that's being run too hard, and it usually sounds like shit.

I say usually because you can always use anything for flavor, or in some weird way and get a good effect from it. Like the NiN stuff from the Broken disk, lots of weird tones that would sound fucked by themselves but they sound good in the context of the song.

So yeah, post a link with an example please.

>|<>QBB<
Oblivion DC":be0b8 said:
Square wave distortion is a very specific thing. It's what you get from a solid state amp that's being run too hard, and it usually sounds like shit.

That's pretty much how Bloodbath's tone sounds like....

hmmm, well I'm not going to say it sounds like total shit. It is a cool sound as far as an effect/texture type of thing. I wouldn't know how to go about getting that sound though.

You're right, it is more defined than a SS amp totally run hard. It almost sounds like a computer based amp modeler with non-standard settings picked.

There's a plug-in for protools that will let you select your whole signal chain. Stompbox sim, Amp sim with custom settings, speaker cab sim, mic sim. One of the "fucked up" things you can do with it is change the order of the signal chain.

You can go as simple as putting the stompbox between the amp and cab, or as fucked up as putting the speaker cab before the stompbox. Stuff that you couldn't do in "real life". That sounds kind of like something on the fucked up end of things!!
:D

If you're really wondering how he got that tone, he used a Marshall head w/ a few pedals according to Dan Swanö.

"The old school, Swedish Death Metal feel of early 90s Entombed, Grave, and Dismember was necessarily present on the debut EP by design. To me it sounded as though this vibe was slightly polished for the first full length album, but the new release sounds slightly more modern while still embracing Stockholm and that Sunlight Studios sound. Was there a goal in writing and recording the new album? Did the band strive to update the sound a little bit in terms of production or did this just come about naturally?

We tried and I think we succeeded to make the perfect blend of all the previous releases while adding a new dimension to the sound (much thanx to Martin and Peter). The engineer, Jens Bogren, did a fine job and my idea to use him as a safety net in order not to have a too harsh sounding album worked out just fine - keep in mind it is his first Death Metal mix ever!! We used the same guitar pedals as we did on Resurrection Through Carnage, and I used the same guitar... but the sound was miked through a Marshall amp and sounds more like a good guitar sound with a twist rather than a bunch of directly recorded chainsaws!!"

ES Baritone Guitar -> HM-2 -> JCM800

Go buy yourself an HM-2.

>|<>QBB<
The_Sh0t":8e601 said:
http://download.yousendit.com/757663F436087A47

hope it works,

their tone is more defined then a SS amp completely overdriven...

Try running some type of distortion pedal into a clean channel so all the gain comes from the pedal.

Almost sounds like some kind of octave effect. The following clip has similar qualities. Not exactly, but maybe going in the right direction:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/media/product/mp3/15/151431_oc3_4.MP3

A ProCo Turbo Rat through a solid state amp is the first thing that comes to my mind. I used to use one through a Crate GC2200h and I got a very similar effect out of it. The turbo rat has so much output that the input of an SS amp overdrives like crazy which turns into that type of tone as opposed to overdriving the power transistors by turning it up.

>|<>QBB<
Shiny_Surface":6f0e4 said:
>|<>QBB<

Try running some type of distortion pedal into a clean channel so all the gain comes from the pedal.

ive tryed that, i maxed the level and gain on my screamin blues pedal, then into my EQ pedal witht he level maxed, got a semi close tone....pretty fun to mess around with....its not that super defined tone that every one wants :D ............its exactly like that guitar player for them sed, abunch of chainsaws being recorded.

The_Sh0t":dc6b8 said:
ive tryed that, i maxed the level and gain on my screamin blues pedal, then into my EQ pedal witht he level maxed, got a semi close tone....pretty fun to mess around with....its not that super defined tone that every one wants :D ............its exactly like that guitar player for them sed, abunch of chainsaws being recorded.

You need some type of distortion pedal at minimum IMO. Something with hard clipping....they are generally designed in the direction of the square wave you are searching for.

>|<>QBB<
Shiny_Surface":ac584 said:
You need some type of distortion pedal at minimum IMO. Something with hard clipping....they are generally designed in the direction of the square wave you are searching for.

Metal Zone territory here :D

The tone on the first Bloodbath album is fucking weird. That said, I guess it fits the music, the sound reminds me of rotting flesh.

Back