Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mark 3 metalish

Gsxrbusa

Not much mention of this amp. It's one of my favorites. Even though I'm playing pretty heavy this amp can do a boatload of great tones. It's a Swiss Army knife of amps. To me anyway. For the heavy stuff it's pretty damn magical. Has one of the most brutal bottom end hits of any amp I've ever played or owned.

Pricey little bastard but a lifer for me.

Man if this thing didn't have 6 power tubes I'd be all over it. I can't stand having that much glass potentially go bad on the road or something. Maybe one of those days when I make like like Metallica type money :p... I.E never

Not sure why H&K gets so little respect around here. My Switchblade is versatile as hell, rips and is loud enough to sterilize small woodland creatures at 100 yards. :D In fact, that's my only complaint; it sounds great at low volume, but the taper on the volume pot is so extreme there's not a lot of wiggle room between bedroom volume and stage volume.

Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert":189cpttn said:
Man if this thing didn't have 6 power tubes I'd be all over it. I can't stand having that much glass potentially go bad on the road or something. Maybe one of those days when I make like like Metallica type money :p... I.E never
Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert":189cpttn said:
Sounds great btw

Thanks bro!

I played this amp live a handful of times. I was really overprotective about it. I'm no professional and we only get 30 minute sets around here for metal. Seemed kinda silly to bring a $4k head out for that. :confused: Nevertheless I did. :D
I'm the same idiot that would bring a Diezel as a backup head. Derp.

Hung Huy Tran":189cpttn said:

Thanks for checking it out my friend!

IndyWS6":189cpttn said:
Not sure why H&K gets so little respect around here. My Switchblade is versatile as hell, rips and is loud enough to sterilize small woodland creatures at 100 yards. :D In fact, that's my only complaint; it sounds great at low volume, but the taper on the volume pot is so extreme there's not a lot of wiggle room between bedroom volume and stage volume.

Not sure why either. Our German friends make such bad ass amps. Not too many German amp companies I don't like.
I never did try a Switchblade or that Coreblade. Heard they were pretty neato. :rock:

I agree great sounding amp but boy that's a lot of glass. I tried one and was totally impressed but its a pricy piece of gear. I had switchblade for a short time, it didn't do anything for me but the Tri amp seems to be a different animal.

If you can afford the amp,you can afford the glass.

Besides,with all the other killer amps in his collection,no single amp will ever get played enough to warrant new tubes.

And he has a side gig at the local freak show. Tom has six webbed toes on each foot. He is billed as the platypus man,so he has extra income for his amp habit.

\m/!

The Mk 1 I had was pretty awesome. Inthink I paid $800. Was a killer head. The cleans were amazing. I let it go because I had just started the amp chase, and it was pretty "vanilla" in its HG tones. I have always wondered about them and HK since. I often look at the tubemeisters as well.

rottingcorpse":2ug90ka0 said:

Besides,with all the other killer amps in his collection,no single amp will ever get played enough to warrant new tubes.

And he has a side gig at the local freak show. Tom has six webbed toes on each foot. He is billed as the platypus man,so he has extra income for his amp habit.
I know. You ever see his bastard swim the 400?
Insane fast.

Wizard of Ozz":11pmlpua said:
Ever have to retube that monster yet?

:shocked:

Hahaha, I actually lost a 6L6 in it a couple weeks ago. It has tube monitors. I just replaced the pair and was back to rocking. It's self biasing. Pretty cool.

moltenmetalburn":11pmlpua said:
\m/!

The Mk 1 I had was pretty awesome. Inthink I paid $800. Was a killer head. The cleans were amazing. I let it go because I had just started the amp chase, and it was pretty "vanilla" in its HG tones. I have always wondered about them and HK since. I often look at the tubemeisters as well.

Right on. I would like to try the Tubemeister 40 deluxe and the Alex Lifeson Triamp.

rottingcorpse":11pmlpua said:

Giving away all my secrets. ;)

Green Pro Am":11pmlpua said:
Excellent. I used to have a Duo Tone Head that ripped. Great amps!

Thanks for giving it a listen bro. Never tried a Duo tone.

Mailman1971":11pmlpua said:
rottingcorpse":11pmlpua said:

I know. You ever see his bastard swim the 400?

Insane fast.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

thawn5150":2ifznl8o said:
I agree great sounding amp but boy that's a lot of glass. I tried one and was totally impressed but its a pricy piece of gear. I had switchblade for a short time, it didn't do anything for me but the Tri amp seems to be a different animal.

It is a pricey little sucker. I never spent any time with the Switchblade. This Triamp has made a big impression on me though. Doubt I will ever part with it unless forced to.

Back