Hum through the cab when not using the loops.

scottph

I recently switched to the new V30 4x12, and every since I did that I get hum through the speakers when I'm bypassing the loop. I don't get that noise when the loop is engaged.
Didn't have that "problem" with my old Engl V30 4x12...

This happens when the guitars volume is off, but also when it's on. I have an axe with EMG's, and one with passive SD's.

Any ideas?

No, but why would that matter? It wasn't there the day before with the old cab, and with the new one it is. Eq, etc. stayed the same, and it's gone as soon as I engage the loop. :confused:

Don't have a answer for that :(

Some issues with the effects loop driver tubes is the only thing I can think of :dunno:

Have you tried unplugging the connections to the effects unit? It could also be a ground loop.

Columbus via XLR, Rocktron Xpression via amp-cambles out of the switchable loop and into the parallel loop, and an axe of course. :)

ampcables? I hope the cables are shielded to the fx unit . . .

If they are: groundloop between Herbie and the Expression. Cure: Palmer Line Isolation Box (Musik Produktiv, 50 Euros)

It doesn't. It sits on top of the Herbert. All cables are shielded - they haven't changed - nothing has changed except the cab to be exact.

Can you move the amp to another place in the room? Perhaps some interference from lamps or other devices are the cause. But it doesn't make any sense as long as this stuff didn't accidentally start at the same time you got your new cab. Do you still have the old cab to try if it's really ONLY coming out of the new one?
It could also be a semi-faulty cable, which still works in general but has a minor break, so it got repositioned when you switched cabs.

Na, the stuff stayed in the same place, didn't move it...don't have the Engl anymore, but it was the only thing that changed, and I don't believe it's a cable, cos the symptom doesn't support the theory since it's gone when the loop is engaged. :(

Update: I'm using the switchable and parallel loops for the Xpression, as said before.

When the loop is disengaged and I'm just using the Herberts channels with no fx the humming happens. Now for the weird part: I obviously leave the parallel volume in the back of the Herbert at the level it is set to for when I use the loops, and as soon as I turn that off, the hum is gone...can it be that the loop is still "active" even though it's off? :confused:

Back