I’m back…Wizard MTL

I will recommend the MC II, it does pretty much everything with maybe exception of extreme modern metal stuff, which the MTL would do in spades. But since you already own the Bogner Uberschall, you already have that sound covered.

How does Wizard compare to Diezel, KSR, and Omega amps for high gain in terms of dry/wet, tightness and tone? I already have two nice expensive high gain amps with my Mezzabarba MZero and Bogner Uberschall Twinjet.
The Wizards will for the most part be drier sounding than those amps although the Omega Obsidian and VH4 are also quite dry sounding. The Wizard is pretty tight, more so than most of those amps, but it still has a roundness to it’s attack, which personally I don’t actually like. The Wizards also don’t growl as much as some of those amps

Compared to all those amps, the Wizard will sound more open, raw, organic, articulate, defined and punch harder. The hard punch and rock solid quality to the notes is a big part of the Wizard sound that I’ve not yet heard in any other amp. The Mezzabarba will be similarly organic and even a bit bigger sounding than the Wizard and will also sound more juicy, saturated and warm. It’s like a SLO/Marshall hybrid. The Mezzabarba is a great amp that’s imo in a similar league to the Wizard, but honestly I think those other amps you mentioned are outclassed in quality of tone by Wizard and Mezzabarba. Sure it’s kinda apples vs oranges since those amps are more modern, compressed and more on the synthetic side, but for sounds in that direction the best amps I’ve played have been the MI Audio Megalith Beta, CVV and IIC+ or coliseum

The Wizard has a hollowness, dryness and certain feel that isn’t for everyone, but also has some amazing qualities about it that I’ve not yet heard in other amps yet

Haven't owned a Diezel (would love to try a VH4 in particular) but I've owned a Wizard MTL, KSR Gemini and Omega Granophyre.

The Wizard, as lessarti put it, has a huge 3-D uncompressed sound that slays. Excellent clean channel too I might add. While uncompressed, I never found my MTL to be stiff or difficult to play. It translates what your hands are doing and is insanely fast tracking. I would describe the vibe as a great blend of vintage and modern. Unreal clarity!

The KSR and Omega are both very modern amps. The Gemini I had I really enjoyed, just wasn't the sound I'm looking for. Really cool clean channel and tons of tonal shaping options that actually do something and are useful. Great clarity and tracking. Kyle is an absolute class act and sweet dude. Love to see his success.

The Omega I had only a few days and sent back. They said the amp was fine but I really feel like there was something off with it. Was a loud hum coming from the amp itself when I powered it on. Quick attack but somehow sounded distant and 2-D. This one felt stiff to play too. No problems at all with communication and they delivered on time.
I’ve only tried by Omega the Obsidian and totally agree about that 2D quality you mentioned. I was disappointed. I’d describe the sound as being flat or filtered/sterile. Also was kinda stiff and dry

Cool well then Wizard would be worth saving up for since I love the wide open 3D sound of my Mezzabarba amp which is huge and uncompressed. Hand wired point to point quality similar to Wizard and the red custom Onari transformers rock.
The Mezzabarba is a killer amp. I found it to actually be wider and in some ways more 3D sounding

Cool. Yeah I already have the Uberschall and MZero that do thrash metal well. Looking at Wizard MTL or MC II amps. I’m also a fan of ENGL amps like the Fireball and Savage.
Wizard amps are kinda the polar opposite of Engl’s. The Engl’s are generally much more compressed, sharper attack, more growl, much more synthetic sounding. I guess the Savage or Artist Edition would probably be closest, but still very different animals imo

I have one friend locally that loves Engl’s and he didn’t get along at all with my Wizard

I’ve only tried by Omega the Obsidian and totally agree about that 2D quality you mentioned. I was disappointed. I’d describe the sound as being flat or filtered/sterile. Also was kinda stiff and dry
a bit off topic, but why don't you buy that omega cab and tell me if it is worth me buying..lol.

Wizard amps are kinda the polar opposite of Engl’s. The Engl’s are generally much more compressed, sharper attack, more growl, much more synthetic sounding. I guess the Savage or Artist Edition would probably be closest, but still very different animals imo

I have one friend locally that loves Engl’s and he didn’t get along at all with my Wizard
Well since I love ENGL amps, probably would get that over a Wizard as it fits my needs for metal. I have an Ironball amp that is my favorite grab and go lunchbox metal amp that can also do blues. Mezzabarba is my favorite amp so far that I've played. Perfect combo of Marshall and SLO tones that can do a wide range of musical styles. But Diezel Herbert sounds pretty awesome as well. I probably will just get an Axe FX III to put off my GAS for a few years and enjoy my two massive tube amps.

a bit off topic, but why don't you buy that omega cab and tell me if it is worth me buying..lol.
One of my friends locally has a whole bunch of Omega cabs and they didn't impress me. They were loaded though with Eminence speakers, which aren't my favorites, but even so just didn't seem like it was that special from what I remember

The Wizard has a hollowness, dryness and certain feel that isn’t for everyone, but also has some amazing qualities about it that I’ve not yet heard in other amps yet
Sam, This would be accurate regarding the MTL, but the MCII is a different animal. Much more and present mids, especially in the upper mids. I found the MTL too "Hollow" in the mids when I had both side by side, but the MCII is much different. Then, if you boost, or double boost as I've recently discovered, the MCII gets very saturated with a good bit of compression with a nice greasy feel. The MCII takes boosts much better than MTL and allows for tones/feel ranging from extremely dry/open/crunchy to super saturated/nicely compressed and greasy but still crunchy with a great balance of upper/mid/lower mids. Then add an ISP sub and you have all the depth of the MTL but with all the aforementioned attributes and the wicked grind/growl the MCII offers.

Last edited:
Well since I love ENGL amps, probably would get that over a Wizard as it fits my needs for metal. I have an Ironball amp that is my favorite grab and go lunchbox metal amp that can also do blues. Mezzabarba is my favorite amp so far that I've played. Perfect combo of Marshall and SLO tones that can do a wide range of musical styles. But Diezel Herbert sounds pretty awesome as well. I probably will just get an Axe FX III to put off my GAS for a few years and enjoy my two massive tube amps.
The Mezzabarba is a great amp. It's possible you might like it more than Wizard, but the Wizard will have that openness, unique hard punch and rock solid quality to the notes that the Mezzabarba and other amps won't have. If you're used to more compressed or saturated amps they may not be your thing

If you go the Engl route I recommend the SE EL34 or Inferno models. Those are my 2 favorites of the Engl lineup. Most growly and aggressive ones imo. The Artist Edition is also a good one and maybe my 3rd favorite Engl

Sam, This would be accurate regarding the MTL, but the MCII is a different animal. Much more and present mids, especially in the upper mids. I found the MTL to "Hollow" in the mids when I had both side by side, but the MCII is much different. Then, if you boost, or double boost as I've recently discovered, the MCII gets very saturated with a good bit of compression with a nice greasy feel. The MCII takes boosts much better than MTL and allows for tones/feel ranging from extremely dry/open/crunchy to super saturated/nicely compressed and greasy but still crunchy with a great balance of upper/mid/lower mids. Then add an ISP sub and you have all the depth of the MTL but with all the aforementioned attributes and the wicked grind/growl the MCII offers.
I've only had a '96 MC (maybe MCII would be different) and while it was definitely less hollow than the MTL and more present mids, compared to my actual Marshall's and modded Marshall's I had at the time it still was comparatively hollow, dry and lacking growl and warmth, but like my MTL it had that clarity, openness and punch. In all the clips I've heard of the MCII I still hear that same hollow quality. The MTL of course is way more hollow, but to me it just seems to be a part of the Wizard sound (even the Wizard overdrive pedal I owned had that sound), that Hiwatt/Marshall hybrid kinda thing. The MC I had did take boosts great and way better than my MTL does, but I still like my MTL more and has more contrast to my other amps than the MC

Last edited:
The Morris I had had a very hollow tone. Like a lack of the fundamental. The 3 Wizard MCII’s that I’ve had are quite different. Like the fundamental is always present. That’s actually what I love about them. The 100 I had, had a very sinister voicing. The 150 is more classic Marshall. Could be speakers and cab though, because the can this time around is very different.
Has anyone seen the video of the Mezzabarba amps grounding needing fixed? Where from the factory it’s only grounded at the input jack? Everyone said that they are such high quality, but that’s incredibly dangerous. How does something like that get overlooked in such a supposedly high quality amp?!

Back