I admit I was wrong ... Rivera Rockcrusher content

squank

I've tried all the attenuators out there - and been disappointed by all of them. All of them robbed too much tone, especially high gain tone. I got tired of buying them, finding out they were crap, and then moving on. I figured an attenuator that worked right was just a pipe dream, beyond the ability of audio engineers to make.

But then I read about the Rivera Rockcrusher. At first I dismissed it as just another in a long line of attenuators that would disappoint. But something intrigued me. First, some people on this forum whose opinion I trust vouched for it. Next, I know Rivera makes great amps, and I didn't think they would market a crappy product. Lastly, the literature on the Rockcrusher specifically addressed the typical weaknesses of other attenuators, detailing how they had had overcome the inherent impedance mismatches, and low and high frequency equalization.

Soooo, I bought one. It arrived today, and after only a few minutes I knew it was different. In short, it does what no other attenuator has been able to do. It gives the big fat power tube distortion tone, without robbing the other parts. I can have great tone at home!

I'm very glad I was wrong. It's awesome to finally have an attenuator that sounds good with high gain tones.

I've got a buddy who swears by his rockcrusher. I haven't tried it yet, but he's been around the block a time or two so I know that when I do make it over there it will deliver.

I think Rivera's non-amp products are pretty underrated in general. I've had experience with the ISO cab, which you don't hear about a lot but I thought it was great as well as the RM-1, which carries their name even though G Lab makes them.

I like their amps too, kind of dark for my taste but they can still deliver the goods :rock:

Oh yeah, the rock crusher is great - welcome to the fold!!! I also have the silent sister iso cab which is another fantastic product. Between the two I can record in the middle of the night without worry of waking up the family. From what I have seen everything Rivera makes is built like a tank.

:rock: Glad you like it! I absolutely love mine. I am quite the Rivera fanboy I'll admit, but I can't help but love their products. They're all top-notch in build quality and they are very well designed.

I'm still hoping to snag a Silent Sister one day for home and live use.

squank":145nra1j said:
I've tried all the attenuators out there - and been disappointed by all of them. All of them robbed too much tone, especially high gain tone. I got tired of buying them, finding out they were crap, and then moving on. I figured an attenuator that worked right was just a pipe dream, beyond the ability of audio engineers to make.

But then I read about the Rivera Rockcrusher. At first I dismissed it as just another in a long line of attenuators that would disappoint. But something intrigued me. First, some people on this forum whose opinion I trust vouched for it. Next, I know Rivera makes great amps, and I didn't think they would market a crappy product. Lastly, the literature on the Rockcrusher specifically addressed the typical weaknesses of other attenuators, detailing how they had had overcome the inherent impedance mismatches, and low and high frequency equalization.

Soooo, I bought one. It arrived today, and after only a few minutes I knew it was different. In short, it does what no other attenuator has been able to do. It gives the big fat power tube distortion tone, without robbing the other parts. I can have great tone at home!

I'm very glad I was wrong. It's awesome to finally have an attenuator that sounds good with high gain tones.

What other attenuators have you tried? For me it is between a Rockcrusher and an Alex Attenuator. I have only had one attenuator, a Dr. Z airbrake, it was okay, but not great.

blackba":xvkzuv48 said:
squank":xvkzuv48 said:

What other attenuators have you tried? For me it is between a Rockcrusher and an Alex Attenuator. I have only had one attenuator, a Dr. Z airbrake, it was okay, but not great.
Marshall Power Brake, Scholz Power Soak, Weber Mass, Dr Z Air Brake, THD Hot Plate, Alex's Attenuator, Faustine, Ultimate.

I did give attenuator's a fair shake before giving up and decrying them all POS's. So it is with gladness that I eat crow and am FINALLY enjoying good attenuated tone :D

Motorpud":dxa5mgoo said:
mjtripper":dxa5mgoo said:
I also have the silent sister iso cab which is another fantastic product.

I LOVED that thing :inlove:

mjtripper":dxa5mgoo said:
AND we are all from Michigan! :rock:
:LOL: :LOL: Rep the murder mitten :rock:
LOL Awesome!

I've had several hours with the Rockcrusher now, and I'm even more impressed. This is a KEEPER!

reverymike":25q7evfl said:
Looks like a Hotplate - does it sound better??
Yes.

I found the Hotplate robbed some of the character of my high gain tones. In its defense, I thought it was ok (but not great) on clean and low gain stuff. But it stole the life out of my distorted tones.

I'm getting into a couple of Rivera amps, trying to devise a way to test drive their 2 channel compressor......and now this Rock Crusher thing! I'll hve to try it now!

Ive never HAD to use one, but I do get some sounds guys here and there getting pissed off and freaking out, turn it down!!!!!!! haha

so it does interest me, can you honestly say the tone is all there with using one of these???

I'm glad to see people are happy with the RC; I'm getting one at some point this year, because my DC is way too friggin' loud for home use, and I just didn't care for the THD HP.

I am also hoping it works well as a load, with the balanced XLR into my computer with Redwirez impulses.

blackba":1ugf8fpo said:
Former home of EV, they are not in Minnesota after Telex bought them. :(
There is a Telex plant here in Lincoln, but they don't make speakers here. I figured the RE20 I bought was shipped from Lincoln to the retailer who then shipped it back to me in Lincoln.

Back