I finally got done modding my SD-1!

soc_monki

and i cant be more pleased with the results! i started the project a while back and accidentally messed with a resistor i shouldnt have. i got the right one today, replaced it, did a track with it and am quite happy with the sound.

i got some diagrams and instructions on how to turn the SD-1 to TS-808 spec, and made my own little hybrid pedal. i modded it to sound like a TS-808, just with more bass, and the Boss-style gain tone.

the clip (http://www.soundclick.com/kisforkate) is done with my Pod, JCM800 model with the 75 cab, left side is modded SD-1, right is the Screamer model on the Pod. i intentionally mixed the drums kinda low so the guitars would come through better. also, i did no post compression and the playing is slightly sloppy LOL but you get the idea i think. the SD-1 sounds so mean now!

comments?

They both sound good and mix well, but I like your SD-1 boosted track better. I'm a fan of Tubescreamers over the SD-1 in stock form. I think your SD-1 sounds like a Tubescreamer and your Tubescreamer model sounds like a SD-1. But like I say, they both sound good.

i like the TS sound over the SD-1 stock as well, but after finding that i could modify the SD-1 to sound like a TS, i figured that was the cheaper route, and i was also up for learning some stuff by tinkering. and its cheaper to mod your own stuff as well! LOL

funny that the TS sounds like and SD-1...it was just the TS model on the Pod XT...sounds good, but the modded pedal sounds a little more dynamic to me.

>|<>QBB<
Qweklain":443a2 said:
The SD-1 definately sounds meaner/aggressive compared to the TS.

after listening back and playing with it some more, the midrange is less nasally as well. although turning the tone knob up makes it more nasally. i have it at 12 o'clock now (like in the clip) and its a good natural tone. turning it down dulls the tone a bit, and turning it up makes it a bit more nasal. lots more range than a stock SD-1 tone knob. i think this is going to be a permanent fixture in front of my Pod, or amp. best addition to my rig, and cheapest as well (20 bucks for the pedal, plus maybe 5 or so for resistors and such).

>|<>QBB<
shred-o-holic":b8636 said:
I may get mine Keeley modded....thinking about it.....congrats on tackling it yourself though.. :)

thanks! i like doing stuff myself and learning about it. it was fun! i understand about the Keeley thing though...he does amazing work. everytime i watch Vai's Asotria DVD and hear his tone when he hits his Keeley DS-1... :eek: yup...sweet!

hmmm maybe i should try modding a DS-1 next? hmmm LOL

>|<>QBB<
Code001":24afe said:
Curious, what exactly did you do to it.

SD808.gif

6-6-pedalmod2.jpg

link to info about 2nd picture : http://www.guitarjam.net/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7

basically i did all the mods in the first picture, except for removing the D6 diode (i wanted to keep the Boss-style gain), and changed the C3 for more bass, and R6 for more gain. none of the diodes were touched.

>|<>QBB<
eternal_idol":c9eae said:
Awesome DUDE!

I've modified 2 of my SD-1s

Both are Monte Allums kits.
the SD-808 and the SD-GT

i love em to death

Brae

yea, Monte's stuff looks pretty good and theyre well priced too! and you dont have to hunt and search like i did for the parts LOL i came out cheaper i think, but i had to work harder to make it cheaper :D if i do another one id probably get one of the Monte kits instead of searching for the components (sucks to live in a tiny Mississippi town!)

That's exactly what I thought you did. Keeley uses slightly different figures for more gain (aka the "baked" mod). R6 is changed to 1.5k and C3 is changed to .22uF. One of my favorite mods to any gain-based pedal are using LEDs in the clipping section. It just makes the pedals sound so damn punishing and "in your face." I generally have switches on my pedals to switch between clipping sections, but I find myself almost always using them with LEDs. BTW, nice clip! Midrange for the motherfucking win!!!!

>|<>QBB<
Code001":1b6ec said:
That's exactly what I thought you did. Keeley uses slightly different figures for more gain (aka the "baked" mod). R6 is changed to 1.5k and C3 is changed to .22uF. One of my favorite mods to any gain-based pedal are using LEDs in the clipping section. It just makes the pedals sound so damn punishing and "in your face." I generally have switches on my pedals to switch between clipping sections, but I find myself almost always using them with LEDs. BTW, nice clip! Midrange for the motherfucking win!!!!

the cool thing is the SD-1 is a pretty cheap pedal, so i can get another one or two and modify them all different! which ive already thought of doing...i would like to try some different clipping options and see what thats like. just have to wait and see. i really like the pedal now, and wouldnt mind having a few other boosts for different flavors. i always wondered why people would have like 3 different boosts on a pedalboard, and now i know why LOL

This really has my interest peaked. First off, great clips (as always).

Did the mod add more gain? I don't suppose you could do a clean clip with just the pedal on and off showing the range of gain and tone? :D

If I could mod my SD-1 to have a bit more gain and bass while keeping the Boss sound, I would be a very happy man. How would I do that?

The mod will add more gain. For the exact "baked" mods, most people say it sounds like the gain is on 10 when it is really on 1. Change R6 to 1.5k and C3 to .22uF.

>|<>QBB<
Code001":b2de2 said:
The mod will add more gain. For the exact "baked" mods, most people say it sounds like the gain is on 10 when it is really on 1. Change R6 to 1.5k and C3 to .22uF.

What if I made R6 2.2K? That's what I found on the link Soc posted above.

And what will happen if you start switching out diodes?

>|<>QBB<
eternal_idol":eb122 said:
Awesome DUDE!

I've modified 2 of my SD-1s

Both are Monte Allums kits.
the SD-808 and the SD-GT

i love em to death

Brae

I modified my SD-1 with the Monte Allums kit too. I did the 808 mod and it just kicks all kinds of ass. Best $20 I ever spent.

I had Keeley do the mod to my Sparkle Drive. Much better than stock. I have 5 distortions on my board and use the pedals rather than the amp for that area of tone. I play in very small halls and its nice to get the punch without having to turn the amp up so high its hurting everyones ears. I have done some mods in the past and enjoy the results.

Back