I hate selling online.

ClintN667

So I got my FM3 so I wanted to sell my H90 to recoup some of the money. Paid 15 bucks to post on TGP. I listed it for 650 Goods and Services 600 Friends and family both prices are shipped. Buyer agreed then sent me $618 goods and services. I refunded his money and explained that it was 650 if you are sending goods and services. I guess he figured that would cover the paypal fees. He seemed like he didnt really understand and asked what did he need to do. I explained send it with my asking price to either option. He sent the money. I packed it up and dropped it off at office depot to ship out Tuesday afternoon. Of course the tracking hasn't updated its just showing label printed which happens sometimes with USPS. So for the past 2 days I'm getting messages about the tracking not updating like I have any control over this. It will likely be there tomorrow but he paid me goods and services so he has buyer protection and I don't even get my money until it shows delivered. Just frustrating. If it doesn't show up then I'm out of an H90 and his payment.

Having said that I sent him a copy of the label and a screenshot where it shows the payment on hold on my account. I get being a little bit concerned since this was the first time I sold on that site. I just deal with problems non stop at work and home. The last thing I need is more headaches from gear selling. Everyone I have ever dealt with on here have been great though. Facebook. TGP, etc not so much.

It is an increasingly frustrating process. I would prefer to do local deals, but, once you get to a certain price point or rarity there just are not local buyers that are interested. Most just waste your time if they reach out at all. This leads back to the online game. I do a lot of paypal transactions and multiple times I have had paypal hold funds 3-4 weeks after delivery at random. So I spend that time without the gear and without the funds. I have also had this happen where I paypal someone and Paypal does not instantly transfer the funds but show that person the funds are "pending" even though they have been immediately deducted from my account.

Let's also not get into the fact that I have had shippers mangle 3 head shells for amps I have shipped in the past.

It is frustrating all the way around. This is also the reason I really prefer to sell to people on this forum vs reverb or even TGP.

Facebook was like getting a root canal.
Overseas buyer. Ship it Texas. Needs proof of some document crap. Told him the price and I wont shipping nothing international. Million and one questions from the buyer. Take it or leave it.
Never again.

Gear Page is usually filled with decent buyers.

I'll never sell gear online again.

Luckily, I purged all my used gear couple of years ago, before the entire paradigm went stupid.

:geek:

If I can't sell it locally on the sh*show that is craigslist, it goes to reverb - priced accordingly. the only things that sell or listed locally are old, cheap garbage, or Gibson's, Fender, Gretsch and PRS...

There's a 2018 Jackson Custom Shop SL2H Soloist...that's a surprise!

I mean to be fair, I can see the reason behind worrying but priority mail usually takes 1 to 3 days. I shipped within an hour Tuesday. I fully expect it to show up tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. I've had several items ship usps that just magically show up the day of delivery on tracking.

So I got my FM3 so I wanted to sell my H90 to recoup some of the money. Paid 15 bucks to post on TGP. I listed it for 650 Goods and Services 600 Friends and family both prices are shipped. Buyer agreed then sent me $618 goods and services. I refunded his money and explained that it was 650 if you are sending goods and services. I guess he figured that would cover the paypal fees. He seemed like he didnt really understand and asked what did he need to do. I explained send it with my asking price to either option. He sent the money. I packed it up and dropped it off at office depot to ship out Tuesday afternoon. Of course the tracking hasn't updated its just showing label printed which happens sometimes with USPS. So for the past 2 days I'm getting messages about the tracking not updating like I have any control over this. It will likely be there tomorrow but he paid me goods and services so he has buyer protection and I don't even get my money until it shows delivered. Just frustrating. If it doesn't show up then I'm out of an H90 and his payment.

Having said that I sent him a copy of the label and a screenshot where it shows the payment on hold on my account. I get being a little bit concerned since this was the first time I sold on that site. I just deal with problems non stop at work and home. The last thing I need is more headaches from gear selling. Everyone I have ever dealt with on here have been great though. Facebook.

If I saw your ad on a forum and I saw you had no transactions, (you mention you signed up) I would think something was off if goods and services cost more than the extra fees. I would think that, in a world of so many scammers, that this guy, who has no gear page transactions and reviews from sales and trades was trying to steer people away from having protection.

If the dude is freaking out, that’s probably why. I know you are a good guy, and you aren’t a shyster, but in todays selling climate, with so, so many shysters at work, anything that’s out of the ordinary is a red flag. There have been some hijacked accounts on gear page that took a bunch of people for a lot of money. People are on high alert and suspicious over there right now. Anything out of the ordinary will cause worry and fear.

Yeah, I’m confused why you refunded the $618.00 ?
That nets you the $600.00 your were asking?

I look at it as a risk premium. If I get PP F&F, I have zero risk in the transaction. If I get G&S, I run the risk of them running some sort of charge-back. You never know what kind of BS someone will give and say it's not as described just because they have buyers remorse.

I look at it as a risk premium. If I get PP F&F, I have zero risk in the transaction. If I get G&S, I run the risk of them running some sort of charge-back. You never know what kind of BS someone will give and say it's not as described just because they have buyers remorse.
Hmmmm.
I’ve never considered this in any of my forum sales.
If your dealing with a well known member of the community, then I’m not sure what the concern would be, but hey……to each his own.

Funny thing here is that the seller appears to be the one who is new to selling on TGP.

Hmmmm.
I’ve never considered this in any of my forum sales.
If your dealing with a well known member of the community, then I’m not sure what the concern would be, but hey……to each his own.

Funny thing here is that the seller appears to be the one who is new to selling on TGP.

Well when you list a price with F&F and a price with G&S, you never know who your buyer is going to be. If I know a buyer, I work it out to be about the same either way. Typically, I just figure out what the fee would be and round up $5-10 to an even number of what the additional amount would be if G&S is used.

Hope all goes well with the sale. I'm nervous about selling stuff online as well. USPS sucks with tracking to be honest. It's always delayed and once you get the notice it's basically almost delivered. I wouldn't sweat it.

I have never had USPS lose a shipment with over 400+ shipments in the past 2 years. It may be slow, delayed, take the wrong path, but has always got there. I always hand deliver the shipments to the post office and have them scan them in and print me a receipt. I've dropped off at the Kiosk a few time as well as left in my mailbox, and those time the scanning was not done. Ground Advantage seems to be inconsistent with scanning, but priority usually gets scanned at every hub.

I try to do local sales as much as possible but I have sold many more expensive items via here or TGP with no issues at all. I've been lucky as most folks here and at the other site are great buyers and no BS.

yeah i'm done selling unless i have to, and i try to make sure i don't have to. if it means passing on buying something because i know it will not be a keeper, oh well. i used to buy stuff kinda knowing i would only keep it around until i got bored of it, because selling was a simple option.
i only ship pedals these days, and even thats rare. in retrospect, between 2005-2010ish the amount of gear i flipped and shipped was pretty amazing to me. it was like a part time job with the amount of time i was putting into it.

Back