I have a confession to make ....... ( 2203x related ) and also a build quality confession .

I build a SD-1 clone ...... with upgraded parts .... all WIMA and Nichycon caps ...... I put it up against a Stock SD-1 last night ... not to pat myself on the back but ... my version just totally destroyed the stock one .... the difference in clarity and noise level blew me away ... the stock SD-1 was like putting a blanket on my cab ...
I'm also loving the way my Blues Breaker ( Joliet Blues OD ) clone sounds also
I looks cooler too. What PCB did you use?

My own ...... it's actually a 808 / tube screamer board .... but the circuits are so similar I can build a SD-1 using them ... just have to piggy back a few components ......
Thanks.. after seeing your posts here I am going to venture into pedal building a little more.. see if I can get to your level.. but by then you'll probably be building cool tube amps. :cool:

Thanks.. after seeing your posts here I am going to venture into pedal building a little more.. see if I can get to your level.. but by then you'll probably be building cool tube amps. :cool:
I would start with some Pedal PCB builds ... their stuff is so popular you can get pre drilled enclosures for their builds off of Tayda .
And they have a TON of boards ... last I checked just Overdrives / distortions / Fuzzes were at 387 to choose from .... if there's a pedal you want ... odds are they have a cloned board for it . And then when something doesn't work ... you can learn the art of audio tracing ... and that IMO is where you learn the most ...
and as far as me building amps ...... I've already started ordering stuff ...... it won't be long ... :yes:

I would start with some Pedal PCB builds ... their stuff is so popular you can get pre drilled enclosures for their builds off of Tayda .
And they have a TON of boards ... last I checked just Overdrives / distortions / Fuzzes were at 387 to choose from .... if there's a pedal you want ... odds are they have a cloned board for it . And then when something doesn't work ... you can learn the art of audio tracing ... and that IMO is where you learn the most ...
and as far as me building amps ...... I've already started ordering stuff ...... it won't be long ... :yes:
Thanks for the advice.. I just found their site yesterday and was impressed. I looked into doing this a year or two ago and built a BYOC pedal kit. At that time all the information I was finding was from years ago but Pedal PCB is very active now. I've got a Ceriatone 2204 that takes pedals really well so I'm looking forward to building some over drives and boosts for it. This time I'll try to do it without the paint by numbers method of BYOC.

Thanks for the advice.. I just found their site yesterday and was impressed. I looked into doing this a year or two ago and built a BYOC pedal kit. At that time all the information I was finding was from years ago but Pedal PCB is very active now. I've got a Ceriatone 2204 that takes pedals really well so I'm looking forward to building some over drives and boosts for it. This time I'll try to do it without the paint by numbers method of BYOC.
Pedal PCB is a great place to start ... their Build docs are great ... and you get to pick your own parts ....
I found the hardest part was to make the pedal look good on the outside ... from naming them to doing graphics .. and then how to finish them ...
a lot of trial and error .... but I can't lie ..... it's fun !

Back